Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

29 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

First time out in a few weeks for me and first time since I had the QSI583 camera serviced. I have shot a new darks library, so now testing 15 min Ha subs on M57 to see how they compare with the 5 min subs shot previously. Sky isn’t great with poor transparency, but this is as much a test that everything is working as it is capturing meaningful data. I won’t be able to process anything for a while as my main processing laptop had a fatal BSOD about 10 days ago, so that’s in the repair shop with my fingers crossed that it can be recovered, not least because all my processed astro images from the past 2 months were on it and not backed up....☹️. If the laptop is U/S, then I’m looking at another ~£1500 outlay to replace it 😢

Good luck with the repair. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, don4l said:

Good luck with the repair. 

Thanks Donal, it’s been one thing after another recently..... Geof

Sky is starting to clear a bit to the West here, we'll see if it clears completely.

• Like 1

Raining again here!

• Sad 1

Air felt damp when I went to lock up but not actually raining. Yet.

Thick Mist......cant even see the clouds...

I can't believe this.  It is still clear, and I've got 80 mins of data.  Some thin cloud has just started to appear, but this was an unexpected bonus.

Clouds rolled in about 30 mins ago, but I got 5 x 15 min subs, so something to play with when I get my laptop back or buy a new one....

Currently shooting new flats

Could this be an improving situation or am I being too optimistic?  Well things should get better sometime, surely!!!

967251388_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1609-13-33.png.c9e2a43678286bfa0b314a7548a4e833.png

1848751442_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1609-14-41.png.2f5cf0ab4aaf5749f16e5c67eaa64fca.png

Edited by Gina
typos

Looking halfway doable for tonight, but the only target that makes sense with the 90% moon is M27, and for me it'll be in [NII] to complete the set I started a month or two back. Considered [SII] , but it's a bit faint in M27, while the [NII] has a good strong signal.

And remember to focus this time dum-dum.

• Like 1

Skies looking favourable tonight here. I think I will grab more Ha on the Bubble...

Hoping to see the Moon tonight for first light through my 300mm F20 Dall-Kirkham.      😀

Looking promising for here tonight.  Probably enough to have a tinker with a few things, anyhow.  I do have to go to pick my son up from his D of E night-time canoeing trip at some stupid hour of the evening though.

James

I'm hoping to see the moon tonight to check focus on the all sky camera and to measure how much focus change the dome produces.

Looking great here for tonight. Two hours to go and counting :) 

image.png.31c1212ac71bb160e38b195e85bde9bc.png

Looks fairly good all round looks quite promising here, going to grab a bite to eat and set up for a rough and ready M81 opposite moon. Had the front element out of the scope in the week to try and solve some pinching issues. Either proof of my undoubted genius (sic) or a new tube on the way. Fingers crossed.

Clear skies

K

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KevS said:

. Either proof of my undoubted genius (sic) or a new tube on the way. Fingers crossed.

Hope it all works well for you.

Clear skies

• Thanks 1

More cloud forecast for here but we'll see.

251719264_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1617-50-35.png.b08d5cbc41174d5facf4bb20047aa65b.png

I've got orange all the way tonight, but the cloud is in the 14-20% range so we'll see. There's also a slight chance of rain all night, so can't just leave it.

The 100% cloud cover that was forecast is looking distinctly blue at the moment.  At least the Met Office are consistent!

The scope is going out now for cool down.

• Like 2

Solid cloud ATM.

I've just started my first 10m exposure, and thin cloud has started to appear.  Let's see what happens.

Clear here, I will see if I can get anything before the moon appears.

Looking ok at the moment, no clouds but still a bit of mist....

Still solid cloud. Think I'll be staying in.