Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep10_banner.thumb.jpg.7d9aac0f1560a2cc993c68be03d025bf.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks for this, especially the way you've presented zoomed crops of the various regions of the image. I do have a copy of CCDI, which was a shared purchase a couple of years with another imager who actually purchased it (so maybe semi pirate 😞), but I don't understand what I'm looking at when I run the files through it, just lots of weird patterns and no instruction manual to explain them - I don't even know if one exists.

Guiding was pretty good, not the best, averaging at 0.74" total RMS (RA=0.54",Dec= 0.50") whilst imaging at 1.92"/px, so should be good enough, but PHD Log Viewer reported that my PA was poor at 10', so I need to look at that.

I didn't run any deconvolution, so I could try that, but that won't fix the elongation, or will it?

Agreed with RayD's post, you do need to meet some criteria prior to running the images through CCDInspector. I wonder if you would find MaxSelector easier to use? It's very simple; add the set of images, hit Analyse, and it will give you a list of values including collimation, FWHM, curvature, tilt etc. I can run your raw subs through if you upload them if you'd like. Guiding seems like it wasn't a problem then, but due to the variable distortion I'm wondering if it did cause an issue due to PA. I would imagine focuser slop would give you elongation on one side and relatively OK looking stars on the other. Deconvolution helps to shrink the stars depending on how extreme you go with it, and I find it does help with their appearance overall. Key thing would be to create a good StarMask and experiment plenty of times.

Edited by SyedT
  • Thanks 1

Contrary to forecasts we have had continuous light rain all day here and it shows no sign of stopping so I'm staying indoors.  Thankfully, I have no pressing reason to go out.

• Like 3

Now I need to remember what I was doing with the data from the last few nights and the processing... 🤣

• Like 1

Steady light rain here since about midday, just what the garden needs. Been out to put the recycling ready for tomorrow, the rain has come as a bit of a relief.

Need to think about Friday. Forecast suggests some clear sky, but whether it will be dark enough to platesolve for the all sky model remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Only a few spits here today.  The ground hasn't even got wet.  My lawn is currently "crunchy" underfoot, so I really could do with some prolonged rainfall.

• Like 2

From the Cloudwather Rain Sensor

AAG_ImageRainCondition.png.fd7d8fc9534c20d110263741cdc19c7b.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

From the Cloudwather Rain Sensor

AAG_ImageRainCondition.png.fd7d8fc9534c20d110263741cdc19c7b.png

I could do with some of that. It rained here earlier, but if I wanted to I could have counted the spots on the patio - well actually not, as they dried almost as soon as they fell....

A good steady soaking today will have done the nettles the world of good...  Grass too.

• Like 1

Yep, steady light rain is much beter for the ground than a massive downpour that just runs off.

I've moved all the Bubble target data into one place but I still need to do some sorting out.  Since I'm no longer sure which subs have been calibrated and which haven't, I think it's probably best to run calibration again.  I can move the current calibrated data out of the way rather than deleting it now.  I'm very reluctant to delete data now.

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Well despite getting a good nights sleep and extra kip yesterday afternoon, it is only 1pm and I am already feeling I need another sleep.  May be more catch up is needed.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Me too , had a busy morning taking some rubbish to the dump (now they are open again),so had to have a couple of hours1f4a4.png

Roger

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gina said:

Cloudy with light rain here.

1364725603_Screenshotfrom2020-06-0310-39-37.png.811cec9b9636b74a506f36c3d46f3c31.png

Do you not get watermarks on the glass leaving it in the rain?

Roger

4 hours ago, SyedT said:

Looks like that's that imaging run ended! Amazed at the run of clear nights. Manage to complete 4h each RGB (+10h Lum from before) for M51, and I'm surprised as to how much difference the extra 2h each on RGB is making to the overall colour and noise profile. Didn't quite manage to get 4h each RGB on M63, but once that's done I'll be going towards planetary/lunar until the nights start drawing in again.

Yes , and out of all my subs only had 2 aircraft trails and NO satelites😀

Roger

37 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Yep, steady light rain is much beter for the ground than a massive downpour that just runs off.

Good you got some , here it was a pitiful excuse for rain almost evapourating before it hit the ground,🌧️

Roger

4 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Roger

I don't know yet, this is the first time this particular dome has been out in the rain.

5 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Yes , and out of all my subs only had 2 aircraft trails and NO satelites😀

Roger

I definitely didn't get that lucky. Just one of my subs had two satellite trails!

BAD_M63_Light_B_2x2_fpos_142314_2020-06-02_005840_120sec_frame3.thumb.png.ca05b0bfeaf2d3b742300d7545a013d8.png

They get removed in the processing, I've found.

14 minutes ago, Gina said:

Since I'm no longer sure which subs have been calibrated and which haven't

Have a look at the label, should have  _c_ in it for the calibrated ones.

That isn't the problem - I have the calibrated subs in a separate folder.  The point is that some raw subs have been calibrated and some not - I would have to go through the date-time stamps to compare and there's rather a lot of them.

• Sad 1

Ok, I have a confession. You might all be wondering why the glorious observing period ended so abruptly.

Well, you see, I pressed "confirm & pay" on some items with FLO. They were sat in my basket for a couple of weeks because I knew what would happen. And it did; I could hear the cosmic cogs whirring and grinding as my actions brought about a great climatic shift.

Inbound: A couple of cameras from ZWO , an ASI120MM and a  ASI178MC, a Coma Corrector. Plus a couple of other items. Not that I'm an imager... :)

That's my annual bonus spent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Paul M said:

Ok, I have a confession. You might all be wondering why the glorious observing period ended so abruptly.

Well, you see, I pressed "confirm & pay" on some items with FLO. They were sat in my basket for a couple of weeks because I knew what would happen. And it did; I could hear the cosmic cogs whirring and grinding as my actions brought about a great climatic shift.

Inbound: A couple of cameras from ZWO , an ASI120MM and a  ASI178MC, a Coma Corrector. Plus a couple of other items. Not that I'm an imager... :)

That's my annual bonus spent!

my fault also bought a SW ED72 and few other goodies so clouds in France today

• Haha 3

I've had a bash at processing stars which seems to be a hot topic at the moment, you can see what I've come up with in this link hope it might be useful...

51 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Roger

rain x works a treat on my car well on glass, don't know about dome's  being perspex

• Thanks 1

I'm backing up the whole of the Bubble target data to the NAS for safety.

• Like 1

taking some rubbish to the dump (now they are open again)

Can you just drive in and dump your rubbish Roger?

We have to make an appointment here and my appointment was about a 7 week wait.  We have to give our ID and address and vehicle number and when we go we not only have to take our waste permit with us, we have to take ID as well.  I don't have an appointment until 30th June and I booked it weeks ago.  I'll be needing to put garden waste on the roof rack as well at this rate as I won;t be able to make two trips without another appointment.

Carole  

• Sad 1