Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Clear spell never happened. Just mostly cloudy. 🤬

Sei the 8” Cassegrain up anyway, looked at the full moon for two minutes until obscured by the clouds. Did a star test on one of the few stars showing. Collimation wasn’t far off. Pretty close actually. Getting even cloudier by the minute so came in. So not really a first light. 😢

• Sad 2

Total cloud cover here though thin enough for the moon to shine through.  No good for any sort of astronomy.

CO is showing 3 hours of clear sky tomorrow night just as the moon is at its highest.

• Sad 1

Yes, total cloud lit up by the moon.

CO is showing orange after midnight but also showing red for 100% humidity and dew.

I got a feeble 9 5-minute subs of the North America Nebula and Pelican, before strips of cloud made everything go wobbly, using the L-Enhance filter.

The results are obviously a bit noisy and the processing is hit and miss,  but I had a play with trying to separate the OIII and Ha components and use 'colour replace' in Corel paint to do a 'poor man's Hubble palette'. Better data and more work needed... but still possibly the closest to Hubble I've seen from a one-shot DSLR image?

pelinan.thumb.png.449b65689a79274aec1614ee5dade3e9.png

459122334_pelinanpseudohubble.thumb.PNG.dd8fa32eee590e0c26c2936394a11076.PNG

• Like 8

Thames Water shocked me by turning up at about quarter to midnight and fixing the drains for me and my neighbour. The view from the borescope was about as clear as the skies - thick foggy cloud, moon just fighting its way through but no definition of surface features.

Hopefully it'll get a bit clearer sometime this next week.

CO shows a couple of hours after midnight tonight but despite zero cloud at midnight, rain!  Marvellous!!!

Set up last night at 21:30, a bit of high cloud, went inside but the kettle on. flashed up cameras to plate solve, no joy looked outside heavy cloud. Took down 22:30 go to the land of Nod. Ho HUm.

K

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I got a feeble 9 5-minute subs of the North America Nebula and Pelican, before strips of cloud made everything go wobbly, using the L-Enhance filter.

The results are obviously a bit noisy and the processing is hit and miss,  but I had a play with trying to separate the OIII and Ha components and use 'colour replace' in Corel paint to do a 'poor man's Hubble palette'. Better data and more work needed... but still possibly the closest to Hubble I've seen from a one-shot DSLR image?

pelinan.thumb.png.449b65689a79274aec1614ee5dade3e9.png

459122334_pelinanpseudohubble.thumb.PNG.dd8fa32eee590e0c26c2936394a11076.PNG

That is a cracking result from a DSLR.  The framing is nice too.

• Thanks 1

Only managed 80 minutes on the Bubble Nebula in hydrogen-alpha before details were completely lost due to high cloud.  Still, it served it's purpose - trying out high gain/short subs with the ASI1600. 2min subs, gain 200 and -25C. This is the autostack from DSS Live.NGC7635_Ha_80mins.thumb.jpg.26db3cd6bc795204b76711a2926f4ae8.jpgOnly

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Jokehoba said:

Only managed 80 minutes on the Bubble Nebula in hydrogen-alpha before details were completely lost due to high cloud.  Still, it served it's purpose - trying out high gain/short subs with the ASI1600. 2min subs, gain 200 and -25C. This is the autostack from DSS Live.NGC7635_Ha_80mins.thumb.jpg.26db3cd6bc795204b76711a2926f4ae8.jpgOnly

Some nice detail of the actual bubble there. 

I assume that is with the 130P not the Z71 ?

Steve

When is this weather ever going to lift

☁️🌧☁️🌧☁️🌧☁️🌧😭😭.

I'm off to Northumberland park sunday for a weeks viewing  kielder observatory .

Edited by Fieldsy

6 hours ago, don4l said:

That is a cracking result from a DSLR.  The framing is nice too.

It's rather soft, due to excessive noise reduction.

But I found out why the stars were dodgy on the previous session - I had fitted a low-profile clamp ring and the screws had tightened on the edge of the undercut for the flattener, tilting it. I spotted this and swapped rings so now my stars are round again!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jokehoba said:

Only managed 80 minutes on the Bubble Nebula in hydrogen-alpha before details were completely lost due to high cloud.  Still, it served it's purpose - trying out high gain/short subs with the ASI1600. 2min subs, gain 200 and -25C. This is the autostack from DSS Live.

I'd be happy with that!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Or the Meade I would have guessed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Some nice detail of the actual bubble there. 

Steve

Thanks Steve. Actually, it's using the Meade 8" SCT with 0.63 reducer.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hallingskies said:

Raining stair-rods in my bit of Kent....☔☔☔

Snap, been raining for days on and off.

Dave :clouds2:

Rain all day here and forecast to continue all night!!   :clouds2:

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Gina said:

Rain all day here and forecast to continue all night!!   :clouds2:

I have to admit that the persistent gloomy and wet weather down  this way is starting to get to me a bit now.  Not just because of the lack of astronomy, but because it's utterly soul-destroying.

James

Same here!  You've put it just right, James.

No rain forecast here from Sat onwards for over a week. Will even see some sun. Of cpurse forecasts do occasionaly change. 🤪

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Or the Meade I would have guessed?

Spot on.

I didn't see that on the signature. Funny isn't it I can see for 1000's of light years but not see what is in front of me 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same in Northampton. 

Rain.. rain.... and more rain....😪

• Sad 1

I thought radiation pressure from the full moon was supposed to blow the clouds away.  It usually does...

Not working this time!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1