Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Yes, I woke up just after 5am and it was clear with the stars out.  Would have been a good time for imaging!  I wasn't prepared to get up at that time though.

It magically cleared here after midnight exactly as forecast by CO :thumbsup:and stayed that way until dawn, seeing was good as well, the only annoying thing was that big lightbulb in the sky 😂

Dave

• Like 1

CO is showing 4 hours clear sky on Sunday. Guess what? Full moon :mad:.

• Sad 1

It changes by the hour!! 

1497931204_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1013-01-42.png.c726688440b9cb2bf81128b6d4a6c7ce.png

Sorry folks blame me for the clouds over the next week. A new HEQ5 Pro mount is on its way to me :)

Nah - I don't think so!!  Anyway, the moon is another matter.

On 09/10/2019 at 21:09, Rob Sellent said:

Interdisciplinary research suggests that most astronomy gear, especially when it's new, emit moiston molecules. Moistons tend to group together into cloud like formations. The Moon is capable of absorbing moistons and thus giving relatively clear nights around the time of a full moon when it is at its most potent but reemits them as the moon loses its power and gradually ebbs towards becoming new again. Moistons also collect inside unopened eyepiece, mount, finder and telescope boxes and are released into the atmosphere whenever one of these purchased items is opened.

Here is a rare photo from data collected from a moiston sensitive imaging counter:

446700263_Moonabsorbingmoistons.jpg.ab3b096e9c22e350b31ccbf52b2b0008.jpg

Rob, thanks for the info, I always thought that there might be more to it. Have you considered putting a paper together? looking at your initial outline I think there is serious scope for further research into this matter. Perhaps we could insist en masse that FLO and other suppliers of astronomy equipment bite the bullet, live up to their responsibilities and guarantee all supplied equipment to be Moiston free. I feel however we need to keep the research on the "QT" as obviously cloud cover before and after a full moon seriously interferes with solar insolation and a resultant fall in solar generated electricity. The last thing we really need is Extinction Rebellion turning up in the middle of a rare clear night and super gluing themselves to our telescopes. Ssssshhh.

K

Edited by KevS
Dreadful spelling mistake
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, KevS said:

Extinction Rebellion turning up in the middle of a rare clear night and super gluing themselves to our telescopes. Ssssshhh.

That is so funny 😂. I can't get the picture out of my head. Brilliant, young man, pure brilliance 🤣

• Haha 1

Haha. Broken cloud here but cloud increasing since this afternoon, guess it'll be another night indoors glued to the forum.

• Like 1

Clear as anything here but I've just spent 2 hours with a set of drain rods trying to make some sewers functional again to no avail, so I'm putting my feet up. Good luck to all those having a go!

It was clear here earlier but now clouded over!

• Sad 1

Its clearing here. Blue sky to the North West ....I cannot see the moon yet though.....I think it's going to be very bright tonight :( 

Let my dinner settle and then decide, if I do go out, it will have to be Ha only, me thinks!

• Like 1

If only!, I have a 300mm f20 Dall-Kirkham impatiently waiting for first light.      😥

• Like 1

Maybe 🙏🏼

Poor thing is waiting for it’s first light. 

7FACAB57-320A-4634-9083-C8E5E3841741.jpeg

BD741C4C-B048-409A-98EE-18D5B046EFBB.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Sad 1

Can you speak up, please?

I can't hear you above the roar of falling rain! :crybaby2:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Maybe 🙏🏼

Poor thing is waiting for it’s first light. 

7FACAB57-320A-4634-9083-C8E5E3841741.jpeg

84B0622D-E988-42BE-9874-B77EDD1FC61A.jpeg

What a beautiful looking Telescope! Looks high quality! I completely sympathise with you my friend! This weather we've had recently is a damn pain in the backside! I've got my new 200mm newtonian ( a big step up in aperture from my 130mm! ) practically begging for some star n planetary light! lol Can't wait for clear skies! 

wes.

CO tells me I have a slot between 23:00 and 01:00. Might give it a go. Had the front element out of the scope this afternoon to slacken off the retaining ring a tadge . (I have been suffering pinched optics and strange star shapes) I consider I may  have had differential expansion between the glass and the cell as the diurnal temperatures have altered.  Think it's kill or cure, feel a new tube coming on. Fingers crossed.

Clear Skies

K

It's not raining ATM - that's a minor miracle!!!

Forecast for tomorrow is pretty dire, heavy rain all day.

Good hear in Burton, windy at treetop height, calm at ground level.

Trying the L-enhance on the 'PeliNan'

Hauled my Star adventurer and DSLR out, started test shots of M31 and wispy cloud along with my neighbours LED security light came on, so came inside to make myself a cuppa and the light went off, So I'll drink this and try again later.

EDIT: The unforecasted clouds have arrived from East to West (My main section of open sky) I have a small gap to the north which always seems to be clear on nights like this, unfortunately there isn't much in it to image plus I'd be aiming past a streetlight at the end of my driveway. Fun times.

Edited by Pullock

Finally got clear skies. Expect cloud again in 2 or 3 hours. 

Set Ha on Cygnus Wall. LND 935. First 300s sub just downloaded OK. PHD is looking nice. Happy so far considering the bright globe is up.

image.thumb.png.390f1bfb2baba1bf2581f26cf4e5cc3c.png