Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I looked outside and seems to be clear here, so will keep going.

Carole 

• Like 3

I'll keep going for another half an hour unless it clouds over. should be just over 6 hours of data then.

Carole 

• Like 3

Well that's me finished. Yet another night of no satellite trails, this has got to be a record.

Tomorrow nights looking good, will see how the Sii will cope with 80% moon behind the scope.

Good night al.

• Like 5

I'll say goodnight as I prepare to shut things down. Goodnight all.

• Like 2

Ack what a nightmare of  a night to start with - decided to fettle with the polar alignment using the tools in PHD2, what a mess on! The Drift tool would give me a line to move the mount along and get Polaris in the reticule at the end of the line to resolve a 7arc-min error , then I'd do another and the polar alignment line would be heading off in a sort of reverse but not quite in the direction I had just adjusted from with a 12 arc-min error! after messing around with that getting it to say 6arc-min I thought I'd give the static polar align a go, after following the recommended location adjustments and repeating I'd wasted an hour and not got an alignment. I went back to Ekos and did my polar alignment in there and got it to 22arc-seconds error (by their measurement).  I know there will be expected disagreement between PHD2 and Ekos on PA - they use different ways to get there but it seems quite a large magnitude of error and I noticed looking through one of my guide logs a day or so ago that the PA error increased when I slewed to another target on the other side of the pier so I think something isn't right (cone error?) It's that problem of wasting good imaging time messing around testing stuff!

After that and 2 crashes of Ekos, a session of the autofocus trying to focus on the kitchen window (mount seemed to lose its position!) plus a whole section of Blue filter subs lost to the soil pipe getting in on the image I' glad to have managed to get a decent session in at last for the last hour or so!, I've got 33 mins of Ha left before I bang out some flats (though I'm tempted to not bother with them as I left the scope out after the last session so other than the focus tube moving in and out and the filter wheel changing round, it hasn't been moved...

Guiding has been so-so but I've checked the subs and eccentricity seems to be 0.5 or less, so OK on that front :) 

After a lot of reliability tonight seems to have been an outlier! 

image.thumb.png.19042f536162ae71e5dc3f323cef0774.png

• Sad 3

Decided to just have a bit of a mess around tonight. 

5 pane mosaic in Ha. 6 x 300 second subs per pane. 

I know it's a bit off with only 5 panels but a mosaic was an after thought 

5 pane veil.jpg

• Like 8

Right well I am off to shut down now.  Night night every-one.

Carole 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carastro said:

It's the 9 x 50 Skywatcher finderscope.  Apparently it's 180mm.

Carole 

my one is 242mm,

Roger

Right early night for me, so I’ll say goodnight.

Back to sleep for a bit , night to anyone else still standing,

Roger

Good morning all. Whilst absent from here last night, I was 'playing'. Just had my 16 year old son outside with me.

We had a lovely viewing session on the Moon, Jupiter and her moons and Saturn. he also wanted to see Andromeda given I had explained the relative size so set the imaging rig there. Did not expect much to be honest and granted not the best time of year but with just 16 x 300 subs looks like there was some worthwhile data:

M31.thumb.png.a349433c8bd196dbfc7dfdfea031a8e8.png

Think I will have a go at Veil tonight.

• Like 9

Morning all.  Just read 45 posts!!  Had a good night's sleep though.  I usually get a good sleep after imaging (or maybe that should be while imaging 🤣  Actually half and half.)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just checked the subs from last night.  40 Ha and maybe 6 SII of 20m - getting less and less - either loss of dark or increasing moon (or both).

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Morning Gina

I just read through a long list of posts to, my what a lot of activity overnight! Slept like a log too.

Had a look at the data from last night, and as expected a bit thin

626780276_NewBroom3HourSGR.thumb.jpg.984a4cc07d8f22312772c8661562423d.jpg

This is after stacking and DDP.

Tried a preliminary SHO assembly, but as expected a bit wonky in the colours.

1804915009_NewBroomFirstSHO.thumb.jpg.13f52215e382c55f0ec9cc301f8e4441.jpg

I'll have to see if GIMP can do selective colours as Nik showed last night.

• Like 9

Ha from last night. 16 10min 1x1 subs with a wee bit of processing...

H.thumb.jpg.2708630ca9cf35dbb46e7b05e3075b54.jpg

• Like 10

I setup to image 10x 300s HaO3S2 on NGC6888 last night. Got 3 x Ha then decided to look at O3 and S2. Deselcted the Ha to make it move the filter. ( Should have told it to rotate instead)  First O3 came down and was out of focus. Spent 10 mins refocusing and checking. Finally happy...Selected rotate filters and went to bed.

Checked this morning...have 10 x O3, 10x S2 but still only 3 xHa....I forgot to re select the Ha box!! DOH!!!

Ah well, its a good thing I dont do this for a living 🤣

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

We all do things like that!!

You need a lot more SII @DaveS but the amount of sulphur is tiny.  I never bothered and stuck with H and O - plenty of those.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

Agreed, the amount of [SII] is very thin. May try tonight, but it's really getting a bit iffy. I'll have another look a bit later when the moon's out of the way but may have to wait until w have astro dark back, and the Brom has lifted out of the murk.

I was still asleep when I checked my subs - about 9 SII not 6 so 3 hours.  Think it's time I got some breakfast!!  🤣

• Haha 1