Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep8_banner.thumb.jpg.7fc4114c7705b14c0786cf342cea1f9c.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I think during the summer recess I might get a telescope or two set up for imaging as there are several smaller DSO coming into view in the late summer and autumn.

41 minutes ago, Gina said:

Looking good.  Which camera are you using (guess you probably said somewhere in this enormous thread).

ZWO ASI 178MC with Lens

Roger

• Like 1

Ah!  I rather thought so - same as me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Having a evening with our closest tonight.. as well as giving the chair it's first outing under the stars

20200531_194847.thumb.jpg.1d430e45c9d372aecda9d62899227cf8.jpg

Need a little cushion?

Roger

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not tonight

Regeneration in progress

looks surprisingly small on the pier

EDF60085-61F7-46AD-8943-0E38F3920293.thumb.jpeg.386259651bc0343e768b0ea4d4081ef1.jpeg

Edited by iapa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iapa said:

Regeneration in progress

EDF60085-61F7-46AD-8943-0E38F3920293.thumb.jpeg.386259651bc0343e768b0ea4d4081ef1.jpeg

It better regenerate soon lol 😛

Wispy clouds.

1742601603_Screenshotfrom2020-05-3121-30-03.png.bb8e12df826a3c66901cfe5697ff67fe.png

19 minutes ago, Gina said:

Ah!  I rather thought so - same as me.

I just dont know correct capture settings , auto on exposure and Gain ?, i wondered what you did?

Roger

Evening all. Some high level cloudy stuff here. Hoping it will clear as it gets darker. Good talk by Nik.

Set up for 3 hours [SII] on my Swimming Sea Dragon, just to show I'm totally Barking, or possibly even Dagenham!

• Haha 3

Just finished the Stargazine talk by Nik.  Great to see him do all the things that I do with images, assured me I am doing it right.

Need to get the laptop back in the obsy now ready for this evening's session.

Speak later.

Carole   

• Like 1

Missed it , hopefully will check out the video.😒

Roger

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

I just dont know correct capture settings , auto on exposure and Gain ?, i wondered what you did?

Roger

I use an exposure of 32 microseconds in day time and increase it as it gets dark ending up with 60s when dark.  I use a gain of 102.

Your just down the road from me Roger so hopefully this little wispy stuff will evaporate. 

I lived in Worthing for a while, Terringes Avenue.

I'm hoping for more SII on the Bubble and Lobster Claw tonight.  All ready for when it gets dark - roof open and cameras cooled.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Yeah.... needs a cushion... had hoped my Bottom would be padded enough.. guess that's a good thing?

20200531_214549.thumb.jpg.b252670babbe1566ac0048f04d68aed5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

To complete M51 or M63 tonight, that is the question. Pretty much the same number of RGB subs left. Any takers?

Edited by SyedT
  • Like 1

I'm exhausted and have work tomorrow, but I can't pass up yet another clear night for imaging. 

• Like 1

Damn, I missed Nik's talk and still haven't caught up with Steve's from last Sunday.

I've been in the obs this evening swapping over the QSI camera from the C14 to the 4" TSAPO. It's been so long that I couldn't remember which adapters I needed to get required back focus, but think I got there in the end. With the C14 I use the Optec telecompressor lens, but the TSAPO is a flat field quad, so it just needs the native camera. I used the Moon to get focus close, but will head out later to run some autofocus star tests. I've also set my Canon DSLR capturing darks to go with last nights attempt at the M16 through M24 region of the MW. Once it's dark I also need to take a look at the focus on that ED180mm lens as I started last night's session with it way off, so did a quick 'eyeball' fix whilst standing on some low steps in the dark, but I need to take a bit more time checking star HFDs.

I'm not planning an imaging session tonight, but will play with both the QSI+TSAPO and Canon+ED180, maybe check out some future targets, so that they are good to go when we have darker Moonless skies again.

I had a quick visual look at the Moon in a blue sky earlier with the C14, now that it's camera free, which was lovely with Plato and Copernicus both well placed near the terminator, so I may spend more time doing that as well, depending how long the camera/lens focus tests take. Mostly I'm intending to have an earlier night, maybe more like 1am instead of 3am.

Good luck to anyone imaging or indeed viewing.

• Like 1

The sky has cleared of clouds here.  All go for imaging later...

• Like 2

Plenty on the to do list Geoff - 1 am sounds like luxury to me. 

• Like 1

Clear as a bell here. Just started everything up so will see how cooling goes.

• Like 3

Cameras at -15. No struggle tonight perhaps it's because I gave it 40 minutes to get there.

• Like 2