Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Posted (edited)

It’s clear and windy here, but won’t be imaging. I got my QSI camera back from a service today, so I’m currently shooting a new darks library, this time including 900s (15m) subs at bin 2x2 so that I can shoot longer lights exposures with my Ha filter. Will probably continue with more darks tomorrow at Bin 1x1. It’s going to take several hours to get them all ready. Plan is for 20 darks at 120s, 300s, 600s & 900s for both bin 1 & bin 2. Then I need to shoot new flats and flatdarks for all 5 HaLRGB filters.

Edited by geoflewis

Skies have gone completely clear here in Tring but it’s blowing like a fury - been viewing Jupiter and it’s a mission trying to keep the scope stable 

I was afriad to leave the little Mak outside to cool. Would probably end up in next doors garden with this wind. 

Clear skies, gentle breeze, Moon rising. Dinner time now, but kit is already outside and around 11-ish, I'll nip out for a little peek. Been like this for almost a month, so quite a 'joy' to see full Moon on the horizon 🙂.

Clearing but blowing too much.

Clear here.  Getting a Ha mosaic pane in Cygnus.  Either Veil or Heart later.

Just got going on Sh2-132, 12 x 600s in Ha for starters. Clouds threatened but I will take what I can get.

I'm not out this evening even though it is clear ATM.

Posted (edited)

Wall to wall cloud here now with showers forecast.☔

The moon peeking through  the clouds.  🙂

6EB03C95-D9BB-4ECF-8859-2D5E47D885FE.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Clear sky here, but I reckon there's a lot of moisture in the air scattering the moonlight around.  It seems much brighter than I'd expect.

James

• Like 2

i thought i'd have a little go on the Moon with a rather dusty omc140 I bought last month, bit of cloud now though

Yes, the sky does seem brighter than I'd expect.

Not out either, too much wind, even if the sky wasn't so bright.

I did pop out for an hour, but others have said, breezy and sky bright and transparency lacking.

Beats the rain though. 

Not much wind here at the moment. But imaging at 2800mm, the moon is not helping. Images look noisy and not clear.

May change to the TS65Q at 420mm with Ha soon and go back to the Heart or Soul. The moon wont have much effect there.

• Like 1

Bit breezy here, trying to take 120 secs subs of Comet ASASSN between the gusts :grin:

Dave

Just looked at the moon and there's light cloud so my decision to stay indoors was the right one.  Anyway, I've made good progress on the printed parts for my ASC.

• Like 1

I haven't even unpacked since Kelling, and probably won't unpack before I go to local Astro camp next new Moon.  It's too depressing trying to image where I live @ Bortle 8. 

Will have no choice in the winter months, so will have to make the most of it when the time comes and try to use the time get Platesolving working finally, rather than waste precious time at a dark location, experimenting. 

Carole 

• Like 1

It's the weather that's depressing here!  At Bortle 4 the LP is acceptable.

• Like 1

Have grabbed a couple of hours of mediocre Ha on Sh2-132, but the bright moon and sky is causing a washout.  Tried a single sub of OIII of 600s 2x2 binned but very little signal against the background as half-expected. Have decided to call it a night.

Posted (edited)

Had an hour and a half on Lunar, not good seeing at all, but i had fun out there. Nice to get out and observe.

Also had a peek at Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, M31, and the Double Cluster.

48867540391_83fcf65c1c_k.jpg

Edited by Tubby Bear

Welll... I decided to try and add a Messier object to my collection when my cygnus mosaic frame hit the meridian.  I hate RGB imaging.  I've never been able do anything with RGB data.  So my attempt at M39 has come as a shock.  It is just 20 minutes (6:8:6  R:G:B).  This is just stacked and colour combined in CCDStack.  It won't win any prizes, but it is my best ever RGB image, so I have to share it.

It's beginning to get breezy here at the moment, and some wispy stuff is appearing, but I've managed 40 mins on Cygnus, M39, and 100mins Ha on the Heart.  What a superb evening.

colorM39-1.jpg

• Like 7

The clouds seem to be breaking up...

24 minutes ago, Gina said:

The clouds seem to be breaking up...

They're not breaking up.  They are just moving here.  

It was clear half an hour ago - now it's clouding over.

• Like 1