Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

No, just H-alpha and [OIII]. I will add [SII] later when the moon is out of the way.

May I ask (because I am a novice at this game) what the material impact of adding another 3 hours of Ha to it will be?  There seems to me to be no noise on that image so further stacking of data will do what to it?

Thanks

Gus

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, baggywrinkle said:

Silentrunning...were you in boats?

'fraid not but would probably have been more fun than s/w engineering!

26 minutes ago, Big Bang! said:

May I ask (because I am a novice at this game) what the material impact of adding another 3 hours of Ha to it will be?  There seems to me to be no noise on that image so further stacking of data will do what to it?

Thanks

Gus

Doubling the data will push the noise down by 1.4 (Strictly root 2) . There is quickly a law if diminishing returns as the noise goes down as the square root of number of subs (Assuming they are of the same length) or integration time.

I had to hold back on the stretch as I could see noise creeping into the background.

• Like 2

Funny thing is, to me it doesn't look like a broom at all, more like some kind of swimming sea dragon, with the left hand tip being its nose, and the filaments to the right undulating fins.

Calibrated all the new subs from last night and added them to the existing ones.  Now star aligning 190 subs...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Funny thing is, to me it doesn't look like a broom at all, more like some kind of swimming sea dragon, with the left hand tip being its nose, and the filaments to the right undulating fins.

And what substances have you been partaking in 😉😆 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, silentrunning said:

'fraid not but would probably have been more fun than s/w engineering!

It was the 'silent running'..I'm ex-RN Submarine Service.

Windy in Norfolk but hoping to have another imaging session tonight after moon set.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, baggywrinkle said:

It was the 'silent running'..I'm ex-RN Submarine Service.

Windy in Norfolk but hoping to have another imaging session tonight after moon set.

Ahhhh! Nice one. No it was taken from the title of one of my favorite cult science fiction films. 

30 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Ahhhh! Nice one. No it was taken from the title of one of my favorite cult science fiction films. 

One of my favourites as well. Superb film, with little Huey and Dewey 👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Is OACapture on the Pi Jason?

Yes, it was part of the Astroberry install.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayD said:

One of my favourites as well. Superb film, with little Huey and Dewey 👍

I always lump Silent Running with Dark Star, another classic with an irate planet destroying bomb with the subtitle "bombed out in space with a spaced out bomb" 🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

I always lump Silent Running with Dark Star, another classic with an irate planet destroying bomb with the subtitle "bombed out in space with a spaced out bomb" 🙂

I always associate them as well. They made a huge impression on mew as a kid.

Hughie, Dewey and Louie inspired R2D2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hughie, Dewey and Louie inspired R2D2

Is that fact?  I can see how and why, but I didn't know that.

Am I in the right thread??? - Oh yes...

Stack of the SII subs from last night - Bubble etc. 11x20m = 3h 40m total integration.  I think it needs more and I hope to do that tonight.

649253814_SIIBubble_ABEHTs.png.b5bbe155202f86d22a65d4056c280982.png

• Like 5

The Sii is looking sparse, more is good.

• Like 1

I don’t usually come back and post images but thought I would this time. It’s a bit noisy because I’ve overstretched it in excitement 😂 anyway, it’s 2.5 hours on IC1318 Butterfly Nebula. 2 minute subs at ISO800. No filter or guiding 🙂

E75EB3D1-87C0-4E6A-80C0-F5AE237F7FF8.jpeg

• Like 8

Well after the various trials and tribulations trying to get the M4 glob, here it is.

M4_LRGB_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.945d6228fc5b214aea88e703c19ddcbf.jpg

The quality of the data in each LRGB channel was very variable with bloated stars from poor tracking and seeing, so it certainly doesn't stand up to pixel peeping. Nevertheless, it serves it's purpose of improving the one wide field image of this target that I had in my Messier collection. I may reprocess this as I think I pushed too hard with several of the steps, but otherwise I think I'm done with this target, which is a shame as from a more southerly latitude this would be a glorious object to view and/or image, appearing somewhat larger than M13.....

• Like 11

Well done Geof I admire your perseverance wading around in the murk.! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Finished with the Flying Bat ( Astrobin Link ),i am going for another Sharpless target tonight , its another animal.Can you tell what it is yet.

A clue   Sh2-1_ _

Ha , Oiii , Sii.

Roger

Edited by apophisOAS
  • Like 1

First look at Bubble in Hubble Palette.  This is just a quick colour combination and stretch - there's no point spending much processing time now as it needs a lot more SII data, which I'm hoping to capture tonight and maybe tomorrow night.  There's a lot of post-processing required for proper HST processing.

1130346889_BubbleSHOcrop.png.08ba22f9bf422da60dd179ca32c7a0a5.png

1954807499_BubbleSHOcrop-B.png.0c97eb05417d2bdba04d62bd4af28dd9.png

• Like 8

A quick process of a small area of The Butterfly nebula near Sadr that I have been imaging over the last two nights. Hopefully the moon won't ruin tonights attempt to finish off this target with some more OIII and SII.

Image20_Preview04.thumb.jpg.2c334fb3802753ccb29d309fbdf97583.jpg

• Like 10

I’ve got the Obs open -  temp was 33.8C, so a lot of cooling required. I intend to piggyback theCanon 600D with Nikkor ED 180mm lens on the C14 and try for M24, the Small Sagittarius Cloud, which in my opinion is anything but small. I fear that the 1st Qtr Moon might be a problem, but I think I’m done with imaging DSOs with the C14 until much later in the year.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I shall be out again this evening.  Just watching the launch and then I'll go and get the data from last night so i can process while I am a) waiting to start (due to roof tops) and b) while I am capturing.

Didn't need to take myself to bed to get some sleep in advance today as I dropped off to sleep sitting up at the computer!!!  Must be the last two late nights. 

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, carastro said:

Must be the last two late nights

It's been a couple of late nights for me too, but in bed by 3am (just) both nights and my wife lets me sleep in, so I've managed to get 6+ hours both nights, followed by lazy days enjoying the weather. I do'nt think it will be a late one for me tonight, but who knows....

We've got a bit of a ruckus going on a couple of doors away from us currently. There is a fire engine in their back garden dealing with a large hay feed fire from earlier today, so it's the second time they've been here today. The hydrant where they've hooked up is right in front of my property. Hopefully everyone and their animals are ok.

• Sad 5