Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Very good!

A friend put an old caravan in a farmer's field some years ago.   It was about 40 minutes away.  Unfortunately, he didn't use it as much as he had hoped.

Still raining here!!!

Cloudy now.   Managed 60 mins of useful OIII data and also got some much needed practice with the new camera.  I am really struggling to get the autofocus working, but I am sure that I will sort it out without having to resort to reading the manual.

Got   enough OIII on the Veil to make a reasonable image.  This is a quick and dirty scaled version :-

color scaledVeil.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BBC weather, MO and CO said clouds tonight.image.png.83f48428acd71b3af79a45fff4628461.png

It's Friday night so I decided to have some beers ( hic!!) Just took a peek outside. Stars everywhere!! 😮 Nooooo!!!:crybaby2:

Time for bed here. . If you are out and seeing clear skies, enjoy :) 

• Like 1

Set up the 200p for visual at nine pm, was quite clear here. Waited and waited for local business to shut off all their lights. Nope, apparently they closed up and left every light on. Like a football stadium outside, just ridiculous. Clouds moved in now anyway. Argh! Looks like I'm going to have at least a 20min drive if I want to see anything this season. LP is the worst! 

• Sad 1

Just home from work. 

Cloudy in Northampton. 

No bothering tonight.

• Sad 1

And yes - still raining here!! 

CO forecasts a couple of hours clear sky Tuesday night but with a nearly full moon I don't think I shall bother even if it's right.  There's a slight possibility that I might have a new version of my ASC ready to try by then though.  That's if we get any dry period to install it!

• Like 1

Last time I checked MO it said a few clear hours tomorrow while CO gives solid red. Will see who's right. Yeah, right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it full moon again already?  I've not seen the Moon in ages :(

Rain here still, too.  Though it has reduced to a "heavy drizzle" now, whereas it was bucketing down earlier.

James

• Like 1

Coming down like stair rods here, co says no chance of getting out anytime before next Friday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougM43 said:

Coming down like stair rods here, co says no chance of getting out anytime before next Friday.

Same tuther side of the border 😞 

Steve

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Is it full moon again already?  I've not seen the Moon in ages :(

Rain here still, too.  Though it has reduced to a "heavy drizzle" now, whereas it was bucketing down earlier.

James

First quarter ATM but nearly 80% by Tuesday.  Moderate rain here.

Edited by Gina

Somewhat amazingly however, the forecast is for quite pleasant weather tomorrow -- the only decent day in ages.  It happens to coincide with my son going to Wimbleball Lake to do some kayaking practice for his gold D of E.  He's had an amazing run of luck with the weather as far as his D of E events are concerned.  I thought high winds and torrential rain were "de rigeur" for such things.  I know quite a few children who have had completely sleepless nights on their own expeditions whilst the weather attempted to either blow them off the top of Exmoor or drown them.  Or even both.

James

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Can't believe how quickly the full moon is coming around again. Feels like we've hardly had any new moon at all. 

I've had 4 moonless clear nights since the end of August and we're coming towards November. 

I think I'll definitely be upgrading to an OSC Camera now, I just simply would not have the time with our fickle skies to image and faff around with Mono, swapping filters, doing seperate flats etc. etc. with such limited clear nights.

If I lived in the south of France where clear skies are in abundance Mono is for sure the best option but we don't tend to have that here - if it ain't cloud it's wind.

Edited by smr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Solid blue sky ATM but don't expect it to last. Keeping a watch. In the unlikely event that I do anything I think it will be just some [OIII] on Mel 15 to add to what I already have. Still got the [NII] in the wheel from my abortive attempt on M27 but no time to swap the [SII]. 7-position wheels are a pain.

Posted (edited)

Just a few small patches of cloud here and a nice bright half moon.  I wasn't planning to do anything much tonight but we'll see.  I was out in my observatory this afternoon checking up on ASC placing and it attacked me!!  The sliding door, which I haven't secured yet as I'm working behind it, fell over and gouged a chunk out of my forehead - with blood pouring out, I dashed indoors and grabbed a tissue to stem the flow!  Then cleaned myself up and applied a plaster.  Changed it for a smaller one a few hours later and the damage was nothing like as bad as it first appeared.  It's alright - I'll live!  Was shaken up at the time and brewed myself a nice sweet cup of tea had a couple of paracetamol and took to my bed for an hour or so.  It's actually just a small graze - nothing much really but didn't half bleed! 

OK I'll take more water with it!!!  🤣 

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 4

Clear and dry here ATM contrary to CO that says cloudy and wet, very windy though so they got that right 😂

Dave

• Like 1

Cloudy one minute, and clear the next.  Scope is out cooling down - just in case.

• Like 1

Need to do new calibration frames for the dual setup so at least can do that if it doesn't rain any more, takes forever to do 600 sec' darks.

Dave

Depends on which way you look.

Think the liitle Bresser mak is a safer bet to stick outside. 🤔

15D4D417-1B28-43A5-B8EB-E6DB14384962.jpeg

E866BE69-8B6C-4DC1-9372-631A7BC13291.jpeg

Ouch! that's the sort of thing that can really shake you up Gina.

Taking a punt and set up the 'scope, the SX cooling seems to be behaving itself with its own PSU but not taking anything for granted. Going to run just 2 hours of [OIII] on Mel 15 I think, but will have to refocus as the last run was in RGB and Astrodons are 3 mm as opposed to 2 mm for the Baaders.

Yes, I did shake me up but I've recovered now.  Still got a bit of a sore head though.

I have 30 x 300s OIII and SII of the Rosette Nebula from about a week ago.. I just need Ha now. Hoping the clouds will move and the wind stays low at some point soon. So far it's just clouds here so not much hope for tonight.

Telescope focused (It was a long way off) and the sequence set up and started. It will start exposing when fully dark in about an hour or so.

It was clear here 10 minutes ago.  Now it looks like it might rain!