Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Looking good here too. image.png.dff73cb9c7cfc6aa87271cb6eb89b213.png

Perfect...2am is late enough on a school night ;) 

No hope here, clag and a school night to boot:crybaby2:.

• Sad 1

The "Clear Outside" forecast shows no "green" for the next week here. Not much "orange" either :rolleyes2:

• Sad 1

Strangely the local TV news forecast clear spells tonight with low temperatures but BBC forecast online and CO both for this village show clouds all night with no breaks.  ATM there's a lot of clear sky with a few clouds.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, John said:

The "Clear Outside" forecast shows no "green" for the next week here. Not much "orange" either :rolleyes2:

ditto :crybaby2:

• Sad 2

Been outside with the Heritage 130P and 8-24mm TeleVue + 1.6X barlow and had nice views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Hope it stays clear so I can try and view Africano.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Star101 said:

Looking good here too. image.png.dff73cb9c7cfc6aa87271cb6eb89b213.png

Perfect...2am is late enough on a school night ;) 

Got the same here near Burton 🙂

Started on the veil with the ED 66 and the L-enhance. 1 minute test sub showed lots of nebulosity and it isn't even dark yet.

• Like 1

Let's rock! All clear. Align and go. I left my counterweights at home as always, so strapped a bag full of tools to the bottom of the mirror box. Field expedient solution. Scope is happy, I'm happy...

IMG_20191002_194742888~2-1600x1200.jpg

• Like 9

Just had a look outside and about 50% of the sky looks clear.

Trying 300s subs in Oiii on the Soul Nebula, first time I've used Oiii so should be interesting 🤞

Was clear and had a good look at the moon but light cloud creeping in and about 75% cloud now.  Will check again in a hour or so but not looking promising.

Just had a quick look outside, and although there *are* stars visible there's also a lot of high cloud dimming everything. Staying in.

Probably be doing the same - I'm working on a new version of my ASC.

Lovely conditions tonight. Great seeing. No wind. Imaging for more integration time on the Eastern Veil Nebula, 13 hours so far.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not a total waste though. Got to test out the new AZ5 mount. 🙂

AAFA4B07-3756-49BD-A7AC-5F341C1FA057.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

Usual variable stuff across the UK then !

Here there are enough gaps for me to have put the Tak 100 out. If I just get a peek at comet Africano later I'll be happy :smiley:

• Like 1

Clear here.  Still testing camera and filter wheel.  The wheel didn't work properly on Monday night, and I've had to make more adjustments.  It appears to be working tonight, but I'm not confident that it will work in the long term.  Time will tell.

The sky is clear here, but the transparency is not good.

Get your dew heaters on ! Getting chilly pretty quickly ...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John said:

Usual variable stuff across the UK then !

Here there are enough gaps for me to have put the Tak 100 out. If I just get a peek at comet Africano later I'll be happy :smiley:

Still quite clear here, against the forecast I have to say.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Oh my word. First time doing a successful alignment with the GOTO on the 500p. First time viewing the Veil through a 20" dob. No averted vision, hard to put into words, like looking at a silver phantasm that threads across the night sky. 21ethos, OIII. I can see all of it plain as day when I slew. Magical. Also visited M57 again, it just popped out from everything around it, also cocoon nebula and crescent nebula. Dumbbell nebula at 222x, looked like it was hanging in front of the scope. Some folks have complained about the 500p, but after I coaxed mine into firing on all cylinders, it's amazing. Bloomin heck... 

Edited by Ships and Stars
clarify
  • Like 5

Just been out to lock up and although I can see stars they are very dim through the high cloud. My front is at least as dark as my back garden, very few lights around here. Did hear an owl hooting though which was a bonus.

Lucky I started early, dual rig didn't want to play nicely, first off only one focuser would work, after lots of removed words, restarts unplugging and re-plugging it turned out that something had mysteriously changed the Com port number since I used it last,  then two cameras wouldn't work, either one or the other but not both, more words and restarts etc, seem to be working now but don't know for how long as I don't know why they didn't work to start with.

Chilly tonight, first time this year for coat, woolly hat and Scottish wine :drunken_smilie:

Dave

I retargeted on the veil but rather late, should have checked after my first adjustment a couple of frames in. Still the new filter is giving me a new type of sub - the preview shows clear nebulosity and still a dark background which is not normal here with 5 minute subs.

Next target was going to be the heart nebula but my stepson's lit a fire in his room... and the smoke is heading straight for ... the Heart Nebula!

Going for NGC7822 instead.

• Like 1