Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I'm imaging at 200mm FL.

• Like 2

Finally finished Sh2-174, its OKish, but it was so feint and I have pushed the data as best as I can: -

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Very windy...

The ISS caused minor bruising tonight. Terrible wind, no chance of astronomy getting done in my yard. However, despite the high winds, the sky was clear... Standing in the conservatory door way at 2340, the wind blew the door shut, smacked the binos while I was looking up and shunted my noggin against the door frame.

The binoculars are OK though!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Sad 5

Hope you're alright too!!

• Like 1

That's it.  Subs getting lighter.  Packing up.

Packed up, roof closed and locked down and rig shut down.  Now off to bed.  Goodnight anyone still up and good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KevS said:

Best I could manage, but there were a lot of scary owls about!

IMG_3749.thumb.jpg.e375bbb096f6468ea63b6555ffaf3ae6.jpg

Good night all.

That's a great shot. Seriously, I like that :)  Very natural. 

• Thanks 1

Well, that's the first time I've stayed up all night for a long time!!  Now to process the data.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

Well, that's the first time I've stayed up all night for a long time!!  Now to process the data.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Pelican and american nebula Gina, Those subs looked good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Working on it...  12 subs each of Ha and OIII.  This number falls between the suggestions for Rejection algorithm of Averaged Sigma Clipping (7-10) and Winsorized Sigma Clipping (15-25).  Tried both and can't see any significant difference.

Edited by Gina

Firstly then, the mono stacks of Ha and OIII for the NAN & Pelican.  5m x 12 subs of each filter.  Calibrated etc. in PI with ABE and HT.

1514000715_Ha_NAN_A_ABEHTs.png.e941ce50ff674f5e564fec61a79598a8.png

1559049497_OIII_NAN_A_ABEHTs.png.8b6b776e7f073034a554fe3e1692c7df.png

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

HOO > RGB version.  One hour total integration time.

NANs.png.5e7b041590310c6debb5834790fc9d13.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

HOO > RGB version.  One hour total integration time.

Well that's not too shabby Gina, definitely a good reward for your all night session 👌

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Now to the Cygnus Loop.  5m x 24 subs each of Ha and OIII totalling 2h.  There is actually slight clipping of the white level on these.  Next time I'll reduce the exposures.  This wasn't apparent on individual subs but was reported by the stacking (ImageIntegration).

1927253835_Ha_CL_ABEHTs.png.6ba539f33cc6577977765a0be116b132.png

1906248211_OIII_CL_ABEHTs.png.5a37b975b6eb3b09ba6f4e011bc31487.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 5

Bi-colour version.  HOO > RGB.

2027025998_CygnusLoop-s.png.c3b5aee8132689052039e25ae527bc10.png

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Gina said:

Now to the Cygnus Loop.  5m x 24 subs each of Ha and OIII totalling 2h.  There is actually slight clipping of the white level on these.  Next time I'll reduce the exposures.  This wasn't apparent on individual subs but was reported by the stacking (ImageIntegration).

I tought 2 x 5 x 24 become 240 min, so totally 4 hours, which is even better Gina:hello2:

• Thanks 1

Agreed, 4 hours worth altogether - 2h of Ha and 2h of OIII imaged concurrently.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Gina you have had some great results this year, and thank you for sharing them as I’m sure they have inspired others as they have for me.

A question, are you intending to keep going with the wide field narrowband rig next season or not? Any changes you are thinking of doing? I have a number of old camera lenses and  thinking something similar could be fun!

James

Edited by 7170
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I shall be continuing with widefield narrowband next season.  I may make some changes to make to the rig to make it easier to change lenses and camera orientation to make it more flexible.  At present I haven't got the filter wheel working - there is something wrong and I need to sort it out.  The bigger alterations will wait until there is no nautical darkness and no imaging possible.

Edited by Gina

Looking more promising by the hour but I have a feeling it is just teasing me. Really want to get some opportunity of setting up PHD2 tonight.

image.png.06390c7e0a5d12d99f25e8d6cff34f1f.png

Not looking good for here tonight.  Anyway I don't think I want another late night!!!

89926442_Screenshotfrom2020-05-2313-40-36.png.10a03d3e77ec29a81e2e1141372d352a.png

939833288_Screenshotfrom2020-05-2313-41-37.png.d62476a32eda1ec27e4de652f22d86d5.png

1 hour ago, Gina said:

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Bi-colour version.  HOO > RGB.

Awesome work Gina. I'm really loving the recent wide field images by you and Carole @carastro. I like imaging with the C14, but even with my 4" APO I can only get sections of targets like these and would need to shoot multi-pane mosaics (which I've never done and take too long), so I'm seriously thinking about a travel kit (Star Adventurer) with something like Carole's 135mm lens, using my modified Canon 600D DSLR. Keep these inspirational images coming please.

• Thanks 2

I will certainly do my best to keep these coming 😀

• Like 1

Posted in Imaging - Deep Sky.