Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Just cleared now. Scope out.  Just a little star hopping once my 73mm zenith star cools .

Maybe out till 2am max 

• Like 3

High cloud rolling in. Veil nebula was the highlight tonight along with an amazing sweep of the sky with the 12x70 Cometrons, just amazing. Veil was very clear through the 200p with the Astronomik OIII filter. Views through the 21mm Ethos great as one would hope, but the much maligned 36mm Baader aspheric wasn't too shabby either for £60 second hand and was punching well above its weight against the 21ethos. I quite like the widefield views and was happy looking through both. Night night all!

• Like 2

Skies clearing here straight up...A hole one might say. 30 degrees from horizon, every which way, just hazy. Having a go at M1. 

1 x 600s sub stretched in PI. Taken with the Atik 4120ex osc.

image.png.a66a2a0ab4591346c7e5b22b3d834a10.png

• Like 11

It was too windy last night for imaging and cloudy still at 11pm so I couldnt be bothered to set up.

Woke up at 5.30am to go and photograph local wild Deer. Clear sky and nice to see Orion's Belt. 

Usually see that in the winter so it feels a bit surreal to see it in the beginning of October.

Anyway forecast looks clear tonight from dusk onwards and no wind.

• Like 1

I've had the 'scope uncovered all morning to get the dew off it as I had to close up in a rush and didn't get the chance to make sure the heater pad was well secured. It was on the ground this morning.

• Like 1

I woke up at 3am for a "call of nature" and decided to look at the sky - solid cloud all over.

• Like 1

I've had about three hours sleep. Decided to call it a night when I started falling asleep standing at the EP but was decent seeing last night with the 200p in between high cloud. Tonight is supposed to be even clearer, so loading up the 20" dob. It's like a trip to the gym shifting that rig around 🤣  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Was great here at 3am when I let the dog out...

Binos to the rescue! A quick scan, relaxed and back in bed in minutes...

Forecast clear until about 1am here in Derby tonight. On the plus side, I am off work tomorrow and Friday (my birthday 🎉 !!), so hoping to get some good long observing done from the back garden.

• Like 2

Well I'm set for clr skies till 3am 🥳.have to take daughter to Gatwick 3.30 looks like I'm up all night. Now do I leave st80 on the back so can put qhy in and start up sharpcap?

20191002_145456.jpg

Grim here for the foreseeable future!

2145072581_Screenshotfrom2019-10-0215-15-58.png.79b23606b4e674683fe188948b92221e.png

• Sad 3

48 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Well I'm set for clr skies till 3am 🥳.have to take daughter to Gatwick 3.30 looks like I'm up all night. Now do I leave st80 on the back so can put qhy in and start up sharpcap?

What are you actually using the ST80 for. Personally I would lose it as I think that you are pushing the weight capacity of the EQ5 for imaging with it on. 

22 minutes ago, Adam J said:

What are you actually using the ST80 for. Personally I would lose it as I think that you are pushing the weight capacity of the EQ5 for imaging with it on. 

Just wanted to compare the 2 images.

1 minute ago, Fieldsy said:

Just wanted to compare the 2 images.

Between the ST80 and the 130PDS? or for guiding?

11 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Between the ST80 and the 130PDS? or for guiding?

Scopes .

This is def more manageable

20191002_162944.jpg

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Grim here for the foreseeable future!

2145072581_Screenshotfrom2019-10-0215-15-58.png.79b23606b4e674683fe188948b92221e.png

No better here either :sad2:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Scopes .

This is def more manageable

20191002_162944.jpg

Interesting to see that you have a dew heater around the top of the newtonian, are you finding that actually helps? I ask because thats not something I have ever seen done with a newtonian before. 

15 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Interesting to see that you have a dew heater around the top of the newtonian, are you finding that actually helps? I ask because thats not something I have ever seen done with a newtonian before. 

Just incase it starts ,I want to see what end would work best have not used before.

Local radio says clear and frosty all night, CO not so optimistic.

Weather-02-10-19.thumb.PNG.dfa62b69801c1fdb1209f35b6881a462.PNG

Ready for another hack at the California Nebula.

Ready.thumb.png.70589b0f8de4ef2d0c8dfd6dd68c479c.png

• Like 3

Round two tonight, running on three hours sleep. The big gun is set up at my Bortle 2/3 spot and weather looking very clear, touch wood. Half metre of aperture to train on the Veil Nebula and friends. Last time with this scope was M57 at 444x once the mirror cooled down. The view filled a 9mm 62deg Delite through a 2x powermate. The midges have left for the season, thank the gods. I'm a nature lover but they won't be missed! Hoping for some memorable views this evening. 

PhotoPictureResizer_191002_174318677_crop_1080x1565.jpg

• Like 1

Clear here now and should be up until midnight, will attempt to get my first use out of the Star adventurer tonight.

• Like 1

CO reporting clear up to midnight here, so setting up and going to try with some 300s subs on M27 and hopefully get enough to practice my processing with APP before the end of the free trial and it’s  make your mind up time to buy or not to buy.

• Like 2