Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

3D printers!!! HUH Fixed the thermistor connections but now the heater isn't working!!  Probably leave it until tomorrow now.

Clear Outside says clouds to arrive about now, it's been blue skies all the way today so 30 minutes ago still very clear and left everything set up from last night so will give it a go. I am trying to get everything going before Chinese arrives.

Steve

• Like 2

Well managed a few test shots and some high laying cirrus clouds rolled in earlier than expected, also found out the quick release plate on my tripod means not only does the whole thing rock back and forth a little, if you try to release the clutch the entire thing spins on the screw that attaches it, guess I'll need a new tripod even though this one is only a few months old.

• Sad 2

I'm up and running; started sequence about 3 minutes before end of astro twilight. Sky is very clear and stable, early doors yet, but 10 minutes in guiding is bobbling along nicely at around 0.5" total RMS. Clouds are forecast for around midnight, so fingers crossed that I can get 3 hours, or so L on M57.

Good tuck to anyone else that's out there tonight.

Geof

• Like 3

Solid cloud here tonight.  I do have a list of evening/rainy day jobs that I could get on with, but it's been a pretty much non-stop day (after a 3am bedtime) and right now I'm not even sure I can find the energy to put a load of filters in a filter wheel so everything else might have to wait until tomorrow.

James

• Like 3

Raining here.  Having an early night anyway.  If I don't go to bed early I shall fall asleep on the settee.

• Like 2

It smells like rain is on the way here, too.  I don't reckon it will be too long...

James

• Sad 1

Heavy cloud - rain not far off... Story of next week I think:clouds2:

• Sad 1

I am trying Drift Alignment in PHD for very first time, taking me ages (mind eating my Chinese at same time not helping). Also a few hazy clouds about now so better get going or else it will be a waste of time.

Steve 

Yep!!  Rain every day according to both BBC and CO.  I have plenty to do indoors though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I am trying Drift Alignment in PHD for very first time, taking me ages (mind eating my Chinese at same time not helping). Also a few hazy clouds about now so better get going or else it will be a waste of time.

I found it took a while to get my head around what was going on, after which point it was easy.  The first time I had a nightmare though.  What worked for me in the end was aligning the mount using the polar scope to get Polaris anywhere inside the main circle (I actually put it dead centre) and then using PHD from there.  Using alignment stars as close as possible to east/west and south seemed to help.

James

• Thanks 1

Can't keep aqwake any longer -I'm orf to bed...

• Like 2

Rain not forecast until 6am here. But my rain app on my phone shows radar and rain maybe 2 hours away. Will shut up in an hour. I have lots of data for now anyway :)

• Like 2

Still a great sky, but fighting with EKOS. I guess I will give SGP or something like that a shot..

• Like 1

Last couple of 5 min+ subs were pretty poor I am guessing the clouds are here. Just going out to look and if so then that me heading for bed as well 😞 

Steve

Clouds arrived here...Still stars visible and in the past I might have tried to keep imaging. But such great skies recently and 3 good DSO's in the bag. I'm happy to call it a night, knowing rains is on its way.

Roof closed. More new Darks being made for the library now its cooler :)

Edited by Star101
  • Like 2

Yup it is the clouds. Going to stop imaging but mess about see if I can improve guiding while sill a few stars visible. Then have a reasonably early night. 

Steve

• Like 2

High cloud has arrived here too, but from satelite images it looks like there's a hole that should pass over Norfolk so I'm going to rise it out and hope that I get an extra half and hour or so before the main cloud bank arrives....🤞

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

High cloud has arrived here too, but from satelite images it looks like there's a hole that should pass over Norfolk so I'm going to rise it out and hope that I get an extra half and hour or so before the main cloud bank arrives....🤞

Good luck !

• Like 1

Well that band of high cloud lasted just over 1 hour and I've deleted (decremented) every sub taken during that time. The satelite image predicted hole of clear sky has arrived, so now we'll discover whether I made a good call or not.... It certainly looks to be the last patch of clear night sky for several days ahead.....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

It certainly looks to be the last patch of clear night sky for several days ahead.....

Yeah, forecast here is cloud with some rain for the rest of the week. 

It was good while it lasted lol.

• Like 2