Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Not sure whether it's any good continuing to grab grotty SII or go back to Ha and get a whole lot more of that.  I think SII will need much longer exposures with guiding.  Whatever I do the stars are liable to saturate.

Made the decision.  SII is hopeless so gone over to Ha.  If that looks poorer than usual I shall know it's the sky.

• Like 1

[cough]. 

I think that the seeing is OK tonight!!  

This is why they call it lucky imaging I suppose.  It will be unlucky imaging if I've missed a bit for tonight's mosaic.

20_41_32_g6_ap204_conv.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Wasted a bit of time, forgot to refocus after changing to Ha, restarted :rolleyes:

Dave

Posted (edited)

Maybe not quite as good as usual - certainly has some background gradient.  That could be due to the moon I guess.

1408781571_HS_Light_H_Alpha_180_secs_2020-03-31T22-56-52_001b.png.f091aef72961302959f5e01099cb4202.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 3

This is the OIII binned 2x2 300s exposure.

140080096_HSOIIIbin2x2_Light_300_secs_2020-03-31T23-10-38_021a.png.139059a199c47863ef9c248d0c3d8099.png

Major change in the forecast again.  Now it's supposed to be clear until dawn.

James

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, don4l said:

[cough]. 

I think that the seeing is OK tonight!!  

This is why they call it lucky imaging I suppose.  It will be unlucky imaging if I've missed a bit for tonight's mosaic.

20_41_32_g6_ap204_conv.jpg

That does look very good.

James

Feeling tired now.  Too much moon tonight and don't feel like staying up until moonset to either meridian flip or change target.  That would be 3am!!

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

That does look very good.

James

Thank you.  I'm gobsmacked, to be honest.  If I'm not missing any bits, then I should have a cracking image.

• Like 2

Just thought to check my guiding.  Both rigs I have running are down to 0.5" RMS total, so I'm not going to complain about that.

There's absolutely no dew whatsoever either.  Everything is bone dry.

James

• Like 2

I can set the imaging to run for 4 hours which will take it just past the meridian capturing the Heart & Soul.  Cygnus will not rise above the north wall of the obsy until around 2am and I can't stay up that long tonight. 

• Like 1

With clear sky and no rain forecast I'm going to turn in and leave the rig running, as it will be turned 3 o/c before it's finished.

'night and clear skies to all. Stay safe!

• Like 3

Uniform total grey sky here tonight, so no hope. Just setting up some spread sheets...…….yeh I know, then up the wooden hill.

Good luck to all those carrying on.

'night Dave - I won't be long...

• Like 1

Regarding guiding, although my guiding picked up a guide star and tracked it fine, it didn't appear to send info to the mount to make guiding work.  I was using the internal guiding.  Guess I'm missing something but what?  Guess this question is aimed mainly at @JamesF.

1336323569_Screenshotfrom2020-03-2220-49-59.png.965c9565d9dfc19f53cdf6abf04ccc96.png

975476706_Screenshotfrom2020-03-2221-36-06.png.6f4c14c5cc0d94c112681e1cdfe9f7c5.png

I don't recall that I do anything else.  Using 2x2 binning might be helpful.  Have you set the correct focal length and aperture for the guide scope?  That can make it go horribly wrong.

James

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I did set FL and aperture for the guide scope.  200mm and 50mm.

The traces diverged until they got too far and then the guide system reset and the traces started diverging over again.  Looks like something wrong with the guiding rate.

Edited by Gina

I'm also having guiding fun, trying to get PHD2 to work with INDI in the hope that I can use the comet mode.  It's not particularly well documented :(

James

Binning 2x2 may show more stars but the star brightness didn't seem to be a problem - the guiding tracked the guide star fine.  It's something to do with the connection between the guiding and the mount.  Think I'll ask in another forum tomorrow and see if I can get a wider audience - someone else may have an idea of why it didn't work.  Thank you for your help, James.

I'm off to bed - had enough!  'Night all and good luck to everyone continuing 😀

What're the main considerations for running overnight? Quite tempted to leave the rig running but terrified of having the guiding fail and drive the mount into the tripod legs, or the sun come up and damage the sensor, or any other number of failures. And then there's the birds that'll be using it as a perch come sunrise. Maybe if I had a pier and an obsy with a roof.

12 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm also having guiding fun, trying to get PHD2 to work with INDI in the hope that I can use the comet mode.  It's not particularly well documented :(

James

What exactly is INDI, and how to you use it? Is it an alternative to ASCOM or something?I like the idea of guiding on a comet. I looked it up read that 'INDI is an instrument neutral distributed interface control protocol that aims to provide backend driver support and automation...' after which I gave up as that's utter gobbledegook to me. What does that mean in English?

Well, I have phd2 guiding, but it's only claiming half the accuracy of the internal Ekos guider.  I don't think I'll stress myself about that if it means I can do the comet guiding thing.

James

2 minutes ago, lukebl said:

What exactly is INDI, and how to you use it? Is it an alternative to ASCOM or something?I like the idea of guiding on a comet. I looked it up read that 'INDI is an instrument neutral distributed interface control protocol that aims to provide backend driver support and automation...' after which I gave up as that's utter gobbledegook to me. What does that mean in English?

INDI is just a protocol, whereas ASCOM is more of a full software stack; think of INDI as more of a language that various bits of astro gear or computers or software can chat to each other with, whereas ASCOM is a specific operating environment that defines things like "Thou Shalt Use Windows" as well as that language.

The most commonly used setup is to run "indiserver" plus all your drivers on a PC on the telescope or pier, and then remotely connect to that with another computer running Ekos, a part of the KStars planetarium which is basically Sequence Gen Pro but for INDI and open source. Or you can run everything on one PC, or have servers talk to each other. For instance you might have a indiserver on a PC for your observatory, and another PC for the telescope, and have both of those talk to a PC.

INDI basically lets you do lots of clever things with networking in a way ASCOM won't, and being open and vendor-neutral has a lot of support from equipment manufacturers.

• Like 1