Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Hoping for better tomorrow night too.

Very tired now and off to bed.  Goodnight all.

Rain in the air now when I went to put the recycling out. Going to turn in myself.

'night all.

• Like 1

Just closed the roof of my obsy because clouds had moved in. With some luck I have collected 160 minutes on ngc3718. I'll have a look at the data tomorrow. Now it's off to bed. 'night y'all. 😴

• Like 2

Lots of rain overnight judging by the amount of water on the ground again!!  Dry and sunny now...  Scattered cumulus clouds.

• Like 1

It is sleeting here currently, not real snow and not settling, just everything soaking wet and a pretty darned cold 1C outside.....

• Sad 1

Not looking very good for tonight now.  As soon as it gets darks the cloud is forecast to roll in!  😟

13 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

It is sleeting here currently, not real snow and not settling, just everything soaking wet and a pretty darned cold 1C outside.....

Similar here Geof, but light rain.

Your right about temperature. 🥶

It's meant to be clear tonight according to that website.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mick H said:

It's meant to be clear tonight according to that website.

It was meant to be clear last night, but that didn't work out ☹️, so fingers crossed that tonight will be better... 🤞

• Like 1

Clear and frosty here tonight according to MO.

Dave

• Like 2

Astronomik CLS-CCD filter turned up for my modded Canon 5D3 right on time and I've rebuilt the rig for tonight. Looks like the flipping cloud is going to turn up early as well, grrrrrrr!

Astronomik.thumb.jpg.3064ed106de2d0f2074d144f5bbf19c7.jpg

• Like 2

Yesternight (is that a word? I don't think so, but you know what I mean), I collected 160 minutes of data before the clouds had a look at CO and decided they were supposed to be parked over my obsy. This morning when I woke up the ground was coverd with a thin layer of snow. Apart from an ever so small chance tomorrow, we probably won't get any more clear skies for another week.

1824931624_Skrmklipp2020-02-2712_46_07.thumb.png.f7226825516818c5517086555a7a7bcd.png

This is mine!  Notice how the clouds roll in tonight as it gets dark and supposed to be100% cover by moonset!!  Typical!! 😮  Next Monday is too far away to consider.

778333381_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2712-09-46.png.9654a257c525988efb65e3b3fcf0cc64.png

Edited by Gina

CO was wrong yesterday, and I hope it continues with that. 😀 I figured out that I want at least 10 more hours on my ngc3718 project. I just hope March will be a good month, so I can squeeze in one more project before this imaging season ends (April/May).

This is what I've got :(

image.png.3c6d826f2c4227ae11969dadef8bec49.png

I think I won't bother.

There's about £35k worth of kit doing sod all. A lot of it waiting to go into an obsy I haven't been able to get on with due to the weather.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

This is what I've got :(

image.png.3c6d826f2c4227ae11969dadef8bec49.png

I think I won't bother.

There's about £35k worth of kit doing sod all. A lot of it waiting to go into an obsy I haven't been able to get on with due to the weather.

I would start that obsy if I were you. Since I have mine, a CO forecast like that is all I need. Opening the obsy takes just a few minutes, and my obsy computer is always powered up. An observatory really will take your AP up to the next level.

• Like 1

Oh yes! It’s the penultimate of my events in the Dark Skies Festival and I’m off to Keld, a Bortle 3 site and the forecast is clear all night albeit minus 3. The punters are in for a treat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wimvb said:

I would start that obsy if I were you. Since I have mine, a CO forecast like that is all I need. Opening the obsy takes just a few minutes, and my obsy computer is always powered up. An observatory really will take your AP up to the next level.

Yes indeed, an obsy makes a huge difference.  Of course, a fully remote controlled obsy would be even better - I'm working on it!

Edited by Gina
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Obsy build thread here

Many delays not all down to me, but construction progressing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gina said:

I'm working on it!

Me too. But I'll have to redo the roof design. One half is difficult to open, despite it being slanted. I'll need to invest in a rail system, not at all cheap over here.

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time and effort on trying to sort out the mud on the route to my obsy yesterday (between showers).  Today all my energy has gone - used up yesterday!!  Not as young as I was!!

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Met Office shows cloud and rain for the next fortnight!! That takes us well into March!!  😟

Meanwhile, the nights get shorter 😐

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Gina said:

Yes indeed, an obsy makes a huge difference.  Of course, a fully remote controlled obsy would be even better - I'm working on it!

I'm planning my obsy for remote imaging from the outset. Just ordered a stupidly expensive Talon roof automation system and Cloudwatcher weather monitor. Not being in Gina's league when it comes to hardware / software engineering I have to buy ready-made solution at huge cost.

• Like 1

I could probably help Dave, but these things are not simple and you'd probably need an expert on hand with DIY equipment.

• Thanks 1