Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 hour ago, discardedastro said:

Still getting to grips with mosaic processing. This is just the L - and only 5x120s in each panel since I faffed around doing RGB capture too. Should really have stuck to L alone. Focus doesn't look great in retrospect - I've been using Ekos' full frame autofocus with the SEP star detection but I think might do better with single star autofocus.

M81M82_Mosaic.thumb.jpg.86ec9c6192f8f10296cb3063b0400570.jpg

I've been playing with mosaics, and they really aren't as simple as I had expected.  Lot's of frustration.

That is a cracking result for just 10m each pane. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, don4l said:

I’ve been playing with mosaics, and they really aren't as simple as I had expected.  Lot's of frustration.

This ^^^
To be fair its straightforward with one channel, but when it involves anything more then luminance or h-alpha it’s very tricky. 

Another clear, still night here so I'm going to concentrate on Orion while it is still in prime position here this month.

In particular I'm determined to have a close look at Eta Orionis which I don't believe I've seen before.

Supposedly a quintuple star group so a challenge to see what I can see! :)

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 1

Things are looking slightly better.

1508998791_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2212-14-40.png.b14613b6c8ab37952ffbbdbbc8e96040.png

• Like 1

I'm hoping to calibrate my StarSense AutoAlign tomorrow night, but with CO it could all change.

Still very windy here.

CO.png

Windy here too!  Sun was out earlier which made a nice change.

Hoping for some clear to try out the Sharpstar HNT now I've had a stab at collimating it 😂

Need a still night as it's a bit of a flag.

Dave

Didn't stay dry for long.  Yet more rain...  And windy!!

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 1

Big dob still in van from last trip, never unpacked it - efficient or lazy? 😄. Looking mostly clear here tonight. Wind is the main factor. I find the 500p truss dob without light shroud much more manageable than the 300p non-GOTO, which just spins in circles in these sorts of gusts - one thing I can say about the azmiuth needle bearings under the 300p is that they are very low friction! 

I put together a target list today of DSOs off Stellarium this afternoon, mainly Nebulae and PN, stretching from S end of the Milky Way to the Veil/North America Nebula which is back up again in the early, early hours tomorrow morning c.3am-4am (doubt I'll manage that long).

Here's the list (this will probably last me rest of this observing season, plus galaxies):

DSOs from the horizon up: 22/02/20

NGC 2467 Skull & Crossbones Nebula (Chained Brooch Nebula) HII 11.21mag 17.5mm Morpheus (Vy low@10pm only)

Calabash Nebula protoplanetary nebula, next to the larger:

NGC 2438 Planetary Nebula

Thor’s Helmet (Duck Head Nebula) NGC 2359

Seagull Nebula IC 2177 reflection

Witch Head NGC 1909 IC 2118 reflection

Cosmic Bat NGC 1788 (tiny) 11.35 mag reflection nebula

Casper Friendly Ghost M78 – reflection 12.24 mag PLUS

NGC 2071 adjacent to N – reflection neb surface 13.10 mag

Rosette NGC 2238 & Quasar PGC 2818689

Hubble’s Variable NGC 2261

Cone Nebula SAO 114250 (cone will be on edge of 21E FOV)

IC 2169 Faint HII Region Surface 14.19 mag

LOWERS NEBULA SAO 95290

Monkey Head NGC 2174

M1 Crab Nebula

AURIGA:

Fly Nebula (NGC 1931) 13.01 mag and Spider Nebula IC 417

**SECOND CLOSEST PLANETARY - north of SAO 39658 VERY FAINT 31mm Baader or 2E Vy large for PN**

NGC 1491 Fossil Footprint HII

FISHHEAD IC 1795 HII 21E

C17 & 18 the two Caldwell galaxies above..

M32 M110 M33

Pacman NGC 281

Bubble Nebula NGC 7635

Early Morning

C20 North America Nebula/Pelican – Apollos UHC/OIII

• Like 2

I finally got round to processing the results from Thu night. Just 1 hour of Red in 5 min subs, 130 f/7 triplet apo, ASI1600, set for Max DR. This is at 0.83"pp Stacked with Darks, Flats, and Dark Flats. Given a DDP plus a light Denoise and saved as a JPEG. Oh, and it's M106, lying very low above my North Eastern horizon.

605921108_1HourRedonly.thumb.jpg.6b7eab611fd69e22b815e9749ce08294.jpg

Not 100% sure about the focus, even though I used a Bahtinov Mask.

• Like 4

I imaged the Rosette nebula Thursday night with my Altair Wave 102mm refractor with 0.79 reducer giving a focal length of 565mm. Rather frustrating as it took 90 minutes to get 3x300 second subs! After the meridian flip things improved and I eventually got 90 mins RGB and 60 mins ha, all binned 2x2 to speed things up. Imaging scale was 3.2arcsec/pixel, around what I get with my smaller 60 and 70mm refractors.

At least Sgpro stops when in clouds over, Maxim dl just kept taking subs leading to disappointment when I check them the following day!

101B8676-8464-4F15-8F3A-440D09909EF6.png

• Like 8

Haven't got round to processing my Thursday night stuff but I have taken flats and darks to match.  Well almost - still taking darks.

12 minutes ago, Gina said:

Haven't got round to processing my Thursday night stuff but I have taken flats and darks to match.  Well almost - still taking darks.

I'm lucky about calibration frames. I've got them set up in a Maxim dl. As I don't rotate the camera very often as I have to remove the camera to do so, SX cameras have 3 screws on the filterwheel to loosen to change camera angle, I can use the flats for a while. Darks aren't recommended. The observatory helps a bit too!

I like the field of view you get with your setup, I must do some widefield imaging with my modified Canon 650d.

• Thanks 1

I too have collections of calibration files but Thursday night used some new settings.

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

I finally got round to processing the results from Thu night. Just 1 hour of Red in 5 min subs, 130 f/7 triplet apo, ASI1600, set for Max DR. This is at 0.83"pp Stacked with Darks, Flats, and Dark Flats. Given a DDP plus a light Denoise and saved as a JPEG. Oh, and it's M106, lying very low above my North Eastern horizon.

605921108_1HourRedonly.thumb.jpg.6b7eab611fd69e22b815e9749ce08294.jpg

Not 100% sure about the focus, even though I used a Bahtinov Mask.

Odd... when I read your comment and looked at it on the screen, I thought that it looked a bit soft.  When I looked at the full scale frame, it looked better.  I think that it will be absolutely fine as an "R".

I do an automatic image inspection after each image is downloaded, and if the answer is 2.9 or more, I know that I have to refocus.  That's when I am imaging at F5.  If I'm imaging at F10, it is much easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/02/2020 at 23:49, don4l said:

I've been playing with mosaics, and they really aren't as simple as I had expected.  Lot's of frustration.

That is a cracking result for just 10m each pane. 

I'm still working up a process. For that image I cheated (using batchpreprocessing) to get master frames without too much faffing about, and then combined all four L masters into a single-pane mosaic, then re-aligned all the individual masters relative to the single pane mosaic, saved those files to use GradientMergeMosaic.

I had another crack at processing with the R masters and used a synthetic star field to do the initial alignment, and faffed around with cropping to get all the images to an identical size to use dnaLinearFit. That produced a better result overall. Definitely feels like portions of this should be automatable - particularly the cropping and linear fitting. Getting all the images to the exact same size is just bloody fiddly manually. Might try and learn PI's scripting environment to automate it.

13 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Big dob still in van from last trip, never unpacked it - efficient or lazy? 😄. Looking mostly clear here tonight. Wind is the main factor. I find the 500p truss dob without light shroud much more manageable than the 300p non-GOTO, which just spins in circles in these sorts of gusts - one thing I can say about the azmiuth needle bearings under the 300p is that they are very low friction! 

I put together a target list today of DSOs off Stellarium this afternoon, mainly Nebulae and PN, stretching from S end of the Milky Way to the Veil/North America Nebula which is back up again in the early, early hours tomorrow morning c.3am-4am (doubt I'll manage that long).

Here's the list (this will probably last me rest of this observing season, plus galaxies):

DSOs from the horizon up: 22/02/20

NGC 2467 Skull & Crossbones Nebula (Chained Brooch Nebula) HII 11.21mag 17.5mm Morpheus (Vy low@10pm only)

Calabash Nebula protoplanetary nebula, next to the larger:

NGC 2438 Planetary Nebula

Thor’s Helmet (Duck Head Nebula) NGC 2359

Seagull Nebula IC 2177 reflection

Witch Head NGC 1909 IC 2118 reflection

Cosmic Bat NGC 1788 (tiny) 11.35 mag reflection nebula

Casper Friendly Ghost M78 – reflection 12.24 mag PLUS

NGC 2071 adjacent to N – reflection neb surface 13.10 mag

Rosette NGC 2238 & Quasar PGC 2818689

Hubble’s Variable NGC 2261

Cone Nebula SAO 114250 (cone will be on edge of 21E FOV)

IC 2169 Faint HII Region Surface 14.19 mag

LOWERS NEBULA SAO 95290

Monkey Head NGC 2174

M1 Crab Nebula

AURIGA:

Fly Nebula (NGC 1931) 13.01 mag and Spider Nebula IC 417

**SECOND CLOSEST PLANETARY - north of SAO 39658 VERY FAINT 31mm Baader or 2E Vy large for PN**

NGC 1491 Fossil Footprint HII

FISHHEAD IC 1795 HII 21E

C17 & 18 the two Caldwell galaxies above..

M32 M110 M33

Pacman NGC 281

Bubble Nebula NGC 7635

Early Morning

C20 North America Nebula/Pelican – Apollos UHC/OIII

That's an impressive list. 

Interesting observation about the truss manageability.

Played a little this morning at 2:45 before work.

Walked out to the car for my coffee thermos, looked to the East and saw Scorpios rising.

Couldn't resist  taking a couple quick widefield images.  Haven't even looked at them yet. At lunch now. 

• Like 1

I have set up to calibrate my new StarSense AutoAlign for the first time, looking good so far but a bit breezy at the moment.

Solid cloud here and rain forecast.

Partly clear forecast for tonight, but after a 3 month weather induced hiatus what I need more than a clear night is a free day to decobweb the obsy and check everything over 🤣

On the plus side, the obsy is still there despite the wind 👍

• Like 2

I can see a few of the bright stars through the resident gloom, but no hope of doing anything useful. Lots of aircraft about this evening, all below the cloud deck so hazard a guess it's the military having a play; which in itself is unusual on the weekend. I consider I am now into week 4 of not getting out due to the weather or not bothering as the very narrow windows of opportunity make setting up not worthwhile. Might take up tiddly winks. 

28 minutes ago, KevS said:

I can see a few of the bright stars through the resident gloom, but no hope of doing anything useful. Lots of aircraft about this evening, all below the cloud deck so hazard a guess it's the military having a play; which in itself is unusual on the weekend. I consider I am now into week 4 of not getting out due to the weather or not bothering as the very narrow windows of opportunity make setting up not worthwhile. Might take up tiddly winks. 

I started collecting comics when the rain started, and now have hundreds.

I appear to have replaced one expensive hobby with another. Tiddly winks sounds much better.

• Haha 2