Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

18 minutes ago, don4l said:

I'm not sure how to find out what version I have. 

I think that I started using it last May/June.  I had no problems with that version.  I did an update  around October and it got into some problems with conflicting dependencies.  IIRC, the problems surrounded "asilib".  apt-get install was completely broken.  I don't remember how I managed to fix it.

I've just looked at one of my machines and it's very confusing.  Some things are at 1.8.3 and others are 1.8.4.  Perhaps the best way to tell is to run:

$ dpkg-query -l libindi\*

which gives me 1.8.4 on this machine.

James

Capturing OIII on Simeis 147 - the Spaghetti Nebula - binning 3x3, 300s, and gain of 300.  Just about seeing something there with a careful stretch in PixInsight.

2020294146_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2100-37-20.png.7b60f87099863318a26ab16863131cf5.png

I think I'll give it another fifteen minutes and stop there.  I've work tomorrow and the forecast has changed from clear until 3am to cloudy from now, so there may be little to be gained from staying up longer anyhow.  And I'm hungry, too :)

James

Still clear here.  I plan to continue while it's clear seeing if I can get some decent OIII Spaghetti.

Trying lower gain now - 180.  Hoping it might reduce the stars while still getting some OIII nebulosity.

Edited by Gina

Camera now warming up.  A much better night than was suggested by CO, and lovely to have some moon free conditions.

I've added another 120m OIII to my sh240.  Hopefully I can finish this image at last, although I suspect that I might need another couple of hours of Ha.

Gain 180.  Still showing nebulosity.  Don't think it's any worse.

301049719_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2100-53-18.png.6f0ea6d0ff6996e3ed80b084ba5867d2.png

• Like 1

I can definitely see cloud coming in from the south now.

James

• Sad 1

Yup.  Lost my guide star.  Game over for me I think.

James

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I've just looked at one of my machines and it's very confusing.  Some things are at 1.8.3 and others are 1.8.4.  Perhaps the best way to tell is to run:

$ dpkg-query -l libindi\*

which gives me 1.8.4 on this machine.

James

Thank you.

I'm not sure if I should be worried??

# dpkg-query -l libindi\*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  libindi-data   1.8.2~201911 all          Instrument-Neutral Device Interfa
ii  libindi-dev    1.8.2~201911 amd64        Instrument-Neutral Device Interfa
un  libindi-plugin <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  libindi0       <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  libindi1:amd64 1.8.2~201911 amd64        Instrument-Neutral Device Interfa
un  libindialignme <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  libindicator3- 12.10.2+16.0 amd64        panel indicator applet - shared l
ii  libindicator7  12.10.2+16.0 amd64        panel indicator applet - shared l
un  libindidriver1 <none>       <none>       (no description available)

The wind and fatigue won tonight. This week has caught up with me but I've had a good run. Drove to my Dark Sky B spot, car showed -4C and the wind was a steady 20-30 (was snowing when I got there), so packed the dob back up and drove 30 min to Dark Sky C and set up dob again, warmer and lower elevation, but wind wasn't letting up. I finally packed it away and used the bins with filters again, had some really good views of IC410, 405 and the Spider. Was thinking the other night I saw Sh2-232 through the bins with filters when seeing was excellent, but not sure now. There's a lot going on in that region of Auriga at any rate. 

Anyway, drove home, unpacked and tidied everything up.

Goodnight to anyone still making a go of it. Clear here but I'm beat! Third late observing night this week.

4 minutes ago, don4l said:

Thank you.

I'm not sure if I should be worried??

No.  Looks like you're running 1.8.2.

James

I've shut up shop now.  The cloud came in very fast and by the time I'd parked the mounts and closed up the observatory it was covering half the sky.  Somewhat to my surprise I disturbed an animal as I walked back up to the house.  It must have been quite happy whilst I was closing up from inside, but made a dash for it as soon as I stepped out of the door.  Could have been a badger, perhaps.

It was very mild tonight given the clear sky and the time of year, too.  I don't think the temperature crept much below 2.5C and there was very little dew.

James

• Like 2

Lost a corner of my image.  Whether that's cloud or the side of the observatory I'm not sure.  Running another 5m sub to see.

Might go to bed soon anyway - very tired.

Looked outside - mainly lovely clear sky with lots of stars.  Cygnus is up - might have a go at the North American Nebula.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Packed up here. Spent some time fiddling with a USB GPS module and got it working reliably with gpsd so that's all hooked up again and working. Mount was behaving very oddly after upgrade - axes just continuing to run rather than stop even after motion stop command, which is a bit worrying. Hopefully no harm done to anything - but drove home the need to sort out a proper permanent pier-side camera so I can see what's going on from my warm workstation upstairs and at least leg it out there as soon as something goes wrong!

Edit: Some good frames, but one panel was heavily hit by cloud. Did a quick stack of one of the good panels' L frames:

integration.thumb.jpg.b6e797c75c3af629685cd3b33be9ae3a.jpg

Edited by discardedastro
  • Like 3

Closed roof and finished for the night.

• Like 1

Not a very successful evening here, got started late and too much passing cloud for long subs so packed up now.

Dave

I'm not sure yet whether I got anything useful from last night - it was a struggle but had to be attempted as the coming week or two look dire!!

801739189_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2109-22-07.png.19103a01daec9c2a00071274107f31e7.png

Edited by Gina

May be able to do some maintenance / housekeeping / whatever on the system on Tue or Wed, but not imaging.

image.png.65fefb1ccf7541a3d1e48b4135ce483f.png

Last night did show up a deficiency in my imaging rig - needs improved remote focuser.  This is already implemented for my dual imaging rig for a different lens.

• Like 1

Now taking OIII flats to match last night's lights starting with g139 and no binning.  I pointed the rig at the star Alnach as being as close to the centre of the sky (and vertical) as I could find.  This means the EL panel will just sit on the lens hood (dew shield).

Edited by Gina

Now with gain of zero.  Don't really know if flats at different gains are needed but...

Now for flats for the Spaghetti Nebula aka Simeis 147, in OIII with g180 and g300 bin 3x3.

Still getting to grips with mosaic processing. This is just the L - and only 5x120s in each panel since I faffed around doing RGB capture too. Should really have stuck to L alone. Focus doesn't look great in retrospect - I've been using Ekos' full frame autofocus with the SEP star detection but I think might do better with single star autofocus.

M81M82_Mosaic.thumb.jpg.86ec9c6192f8f10296cb3063b0400570.jpg

• Like 1