Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Just back indoors and it's raining again.

Edited by Gina

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Woohoo!  Just had a wild flash of lightning and lots of thunder followed by all the power going out for about 30 seconds and ice hammering on the windows.  Not prime observing weather.

James

Lightweight .. 😀

Had a look at the RPi and there's wet in places.  Evidently needs better rain proofing!!  If that's possible.  Better idea would be to avoid subjecting the imaging rig to rain, sleet or hail!!!  Errrr!!

Just checked the forecasts again and all that green for tonight has disappeared from CO and the Met Office forecast now shows just one hour clear around midnight!!  So I guess that's it for tonight!  😐

I've still got green for most of the night. Frustrated that I can't make good use of it. Must get that obsy bult.

I left the mount powered up with the thought that the warmth generated would keep it dry inside.  How I'm wondering whether to turn it off and rely on the dehumidifier to keep it dry.

40 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Woohoo!  Just had a wild flash of lightning and lots of thunder followed by all the power going out for about 30 seconds and ice hammering on the windows.  Not prime observing weather.

James

Had the same here!!

Maybe I should change my priorities!  Get the ROR automation and remote control working and maybe the ASC rather than the all out attempts at imaging!!  Trouble is, we're running out of DSO imaging time this season.  I'll sleep on it...

Completely clouded over now despite CO showing green. Oh well, guess that's it for tonight.

Well, Dave, seeing as you're west of me and the weather tends to go in that direction I think you are right!  Tonight has been a complete washout!  Literally!!

Edited by Gina

Mind you, if we think it's bad here, just look at the near continent :eek:

image.thumb.png.0db7595faac599c6aeb7aa57b1accfca.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Just one more, take a look at this....

I've always wondered how to manage balance when using a rotator. The filterwheel is the problem. Incidentally Pegasusastro have one on their website but no details yet, only an image.

• Like 1

I think you'd need a local counterweight on the filter wheel so that it balances around the optic axis.

Mini local counterweights are something ASA mount owners are very familiar with.

I think I shall be saving up for another ASI 1600MM-Cool and make a triple imaging rig then I won't need a filter wheel.  Just one filter in each imaging section.

• Like 1

There is another thing I need to look at and that's the sump pump that pumps water out of the foundations of my observatory.  I checked this afternoon and it wasn't working.  The water was nearly up to the main beams that support the floor.  Whether it had been higher earlier I don't know.

• Sad 1

Well, I got 35 mins of imaging in on NGC 2903 (dual rig = 70 mins of data) tonight in between the squally showers. The wind was rattling the shed door throughout, but the scopes were snug in the dome (aperture on the leeward side) and guiding at 0.5 arc sec per pixel. 

With the rig now looking like the sail on a Mirror dinghy, I’m glad I went with the dome option.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JamesF said:

During the summer of 2018 we stayed at a 4-bed villa near Velez-Malaga on the southern coast of Spain.  Only a few kilometres from the coast, but 500m up into the foothills of the mountains.  Whilst there was a fair bit of LP from the towns on the coast we were pretty much above it all and I got some nice images of the lunar eclipse that wouldn't have been possible from the UK.  On one day we could even see Africa.  It was not without negatives however.  The road from the coast up to the villa was quite buttock-clenching, often single-track with many hairpins and huge drops with no barrier.  The tap water wasn't potable (basically it's for irrigation) so all water for drinking, cleaning teeth etc. had to be bought in bottles.  The temperature was stupidly hot and I was utterly shredded by biting insects, though those might not perhaps be issues in the winter.  I'm not keen to go back to find out though.

All in all I think I'd prefer to be a bit further north and accept that the weather might not be quite as good.  And preferably not be responsible for helping the local insect life to breed.

James

Like with anything in life. You weigh up all the options and hopefully do what’s best... I’ve just turned 40, never been married or had children and I’m mortgage free! I either sell up and buy two smaller properties in the UK to rent out. 
Buying something smaller in Spain sounds really appealing right now, (with pool). Retire early doors, living off the rent income, (Sounds so easy on paper). Or carry on as normal... 

Edited by Benjam

10 hours ago, DaveS said:

I think you'd need a local counterweight on the filter wheel so that it balances around the optic axis.

Mini local counterweights are something ASA mount owners are very familiar with.

What do you use as counterweights and how do you attach them? It's particularly for my SXVR 694 as it's more complicated to rotate the camera on the filterwheel. I need to unscrew the camera, loosen some small screws on the filterwheel rotate the adapter and then reattach the camera. I do have a rotator on the telescope so it would be easier to just rotate that. Unfortunately I've got to watch the Dec balance as my CEM60 need to be well balanced. 

11 hours ago, Gina said:

think I shall be saving up for another ASI 1600MM-Cool and make a triple imaging rig

I knew it, I just damn well knew it.

It was really clear last night(very windy though), so looked out of porthole with my bino's early hours this morning.

Beautiful.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, don4l said:

I'm looking forward to your reports on these.  It's something that I've thought about many times, but I find that an ordinary pair of binos become difficult after just a couple of minutes.  I take it that you are still happy with the tripod/mount that you bought?

FYI @don4l @Ships and Stars and anyone else interested, I just posted my report of my 1st proper outing with my new Apollo 22x85 binoculars...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anne S said:

What do you use as counterweights and how do you attach them? It's particularly for my SXVR 694 as it's more complicated to rotate the camera on the filterwheel. I need to unscrew the camera, loosen some small screws on the filterwheel rotate the adapter and then reattach the camera. I do have a rotator on the telescope so it would be easier to just rotate that. Unfortunately I've got to watch the Dec balance as my CEM60 need to be well balanced. 

At the moment I have my camera and wheel aligned so that the CG passes through the Dec axis, so no counterweight needed, yet. When I have used counterweights it's been washers fastened to odd places. I try to arrange things so that the OTA balances around its axis. I need to refine this so will have to rebalance the whole rig when I have a dry spell during the day. Fortunately the software that comes with ASA mounts has a very good balance routine.

Showers today with sunny intervals. 

Checked the RPi after letting it dry out overnight and it's now working.  Took control box back out and connected up.  Then powered up and it's working.  Everything appears to be working except the filter wheel which I may have missed when I plugged everything back in.  Raining again now so I'll check it later.  Mount is working but needs resetting as I needed to unlock the drives and move it to get at the control box.

Later...  Something's not right so in the next clear interval I went out and brought the complete imaging rig indoors to check out.  Looks a bit wet 😮

Edited by Gina

Looks like I may be able to do something with the 'scope tonight. I may also do a star-count for the CPRE. I know it's early but looking at the forecast the dates they've set are looking to be clouded out. If the forecast holds up I'll do another one on Thu, closer to their nominal dates of 21st to 28th.

• Like 1

I think my ASI 1600MM-Cool may need to dry out.  Some features work and some don't 😐  Meanwhile, I'll set up the other one and check out other things and may be ready for tonight, which looks promising ATM but like yesterday, all could change by tonight.