Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Had an emergency dash out and close roof!!  Sudden thunderstorm with sleet and a few seconds powercut indoors.  Very strong wind with it too.

• Sad 1

Just one more, take a look at this....

Edited by tomato
Fixed link

I'll wait and see what it does.  Had a polythene cover over the rig and mount so rig kept dry.

Rain seems to have stopped.  There was a lot of wind with that little storm!!  Forecast says it should be better later.

Clearing here.  Have just set up for some deep OIII on the Pumpkin nebula, waiting for the last few scattered clouds to clear before I press run.

Clouded out at the mo.

Clear

Then clouds

Then clear

Then rain and wind

Then clear - but I had already given up 😔

There is a beautiful clear, transparent sky here... and a howling wind!  I don't think that I could image in this.

Looked out just now and the stars were out again but now it's raining.  I'll see what it's like after 8pm.

Waiting for the rain to pass, then I will see if the wind is calmer.

Rain Alarm says 30 mins to clear skies again.

Clear patches in between the thunder, hail, rain, sleet and wind... 

On a brighter note, I was watching a Location, Location, Location repeat. For under £30k you can buy a 4 bed villa in the Spanish mountains with amazing views and minimal light pollution. This has seriously got me thinking tonight ..... A two bedroom villa and pool would be sufficient for my needs. I would be able to use my Telescope on my terms and not be dictated by the UK weather. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Benjam said:

On a brighter note, I was watching a Location, Location, Location repeat. For under £30k you can buy a 4 bed villa in the Spanish mountains with amazing views and minimal light pollution. This has seriously got me thinking tonight ..... A two bedroom villa and pool would be sufficient for my needs. I would be able to use my Telescope on my terms and not be dictated by the UK weather. 

So tempting ...

• Like 1

Thunder and lightening here now. Will I ever see the night sky again?

The showers or thunderstorms are going on longer it seems.

1422323155_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1619-50-55.png.5f37a024653d6d4d677ebb14d75f91d8.png

1808018811_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1619-49-56.png.4ac95b12cbec99c12324cb78583230a6.png

Might get a couple of hours a bit later...

Further to my previous, now we have sleet.

• Sad 1

Wind's getting stronger, though there is some clear sky. I think I won't be uncovering the 'scope tonight.

Bother

Just had a look outside - quite a lot of clear sky but not to the west so I guess there's more rain, sleet or hail on the way.

I want photons!!!  Through my lens!

It was lovely for a short period at sunset, but grim now. The wind has really picked up again and it lashing down!

Far too windy for comfort, even with bins. Looking at Orion, I can't remember Betelgeuse being so faint. To my eye fainter than Bellatrix.

39 minutes ago, Benjam said:

During the summer of 2018 we stayed at a 4-bed villa near Velez-Malaga on the southern coast of Spain.  Only a few kilometres from the coast, but 500m up into the foothills of the mountains.  Whilst there was a fair bit of LP from the towns on the coast we were pretty much above it all and I got some nice images of the lunar eclipse that wouldn't have been possible from the UK.  On one day we could even see Africa.  It was not without negatives however.  The road from the coast up to the villa was quite buttock-clenching, often single-track with many hairpins and huge drops with no barrier.  The tap water wasn't potable (basically it's for irrigation) so all water for drinking, cleaning teeth etc. had to be bought in bottles.  The temperature was stupidly hot and I was utterly shredded by biting insects, though those might not perhaps be issues in the winter.  I'm not keen to go back to find out though.

All in all I think I'd prefer to be a bit further north and accept that the weather might not be quite as good.  And preferably not be responsible for helping the local insect life to breed.

James

I am not sure how you imagers motivate yourself, everything considered. I was only trying to get a little observing in, easy grab and go under a perfectly clear sky , set up, followed by torrential rain and sudden high wind! ( Squall I guess... ) Only seconds to bring it all back in, so no real harm, but for you guys, with all your gear to set up and fettle, it must be soul destroying sometimes. It is now clear again here and the wind has dropped right down, but I am finding it hard to motivate myself.  

I wonder if I can persuade my wife that a move to the south of Europe would be good? Follow @Benjam advice? :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

I have a problem.  Had a look at KStars and saw the pointing was way past the meridian so I tried to slew and go round the other way.  Nothing.  Found nothing was working so dressed up and went out to the observatory to investigate.  Things looked normal except for the wet floor and some wet on the rig.  Tried switching the imager off and on again but no drive green LED.  Now brought the control unit (with RPi etc.) indoors to fault-find.  Put the dehumidifier on to dry the scope room and wet off the outside of the mount cover and rest of the imaging rig.  Whether I get anything ready for later tonight remains to be seen...

Woohoo!  Just had a wild flash of lightning and lots of thunder followed by all the power going out for about 30 seconds and ice hammering on the windows.  Not prime observing weather.

James