Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

With almost everything remote controlled it makes me wonder if I could remote control camera rotation as well!

It would be brilliant if you can come up with an affordable way of doing this.

• Like 1

I'm an engineer with a 3D printer - must be possible! 🤣  At least for my widefield dual imaging rig.

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

I don't believe it's impossible!

It's not impossible.

Not for Lady who lives in Devonshire Abbey. 😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

I want my camera rotation remote controlled!!!  I do, I do, yep - definitely.  Need to get my thinking cap on.  I don't believe it's impossible!

So would I but the units commercially available for big focusers have big price tags to match. I suppose it’s all about the mass that has to be rotated, and the precision required, but the latter could be relaxed a bit provided a refocus was done after the rotation.

Just checked meridian flip times.  8pm for Orion and a bit earlier for Flaming Star & Tadpoles by which time I shall probably be imaging Orion depending on what the clouds do.  Still lots of cloud ATM.

9 minutes ago, don4l said:

It would be brilliant if you can come up with an affordable way of doing this.

A ring gear bonded to the focuser body and motor with pinion and encoder attached to the OTA? The trouble is the assembly would have to be reasonably free to rotate and that would introduce sloppiness into the optical train. Not good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomato said:

So would I but the units commercially available for big focusers have big price tags to match. I suppose it’s all about the mass that has to be rotated, and the precision required, but the latter could be relaxed a bit provided a refocus was done after the rotation.

Yes indeed.  Doing it for telescopes is far from easy.  I won't be tackling that just yet!!

5 minutes ago, tomato said:

Also maintaining perpendicularity to the optical axis.  Motorising it should be the easy bit, I reckon.  It doesn't even matter if there's a bit of backlash.  It's the accuracy of the engineering that is the challenge for this one I suspect.

James

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomato said:

A ring gear bonded to the focuser body and motor with pinion and encoder attached to the OTA? The trouble is the assembly would have to be reasonably free to rotate and that would introduce sloppiness into the optical train. Not good.

Yes, that is precisely the problem!

I think with relatively small telescopes like the ST80 is should be possible to arrange to rotate the whole scope and imaging system.  That would solve the problem of the integrity of the optical train.  It would still be a pretty massive piece of engineering though.

I can see my project list stretching into infinity!!! 🤣

Forecast for tonight has improved.

452569832_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1617-16-47.png.ac55846384e3ba49ef2df121a39c7547.png

224057783_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1617-16-12.png.995ea9e0286fe746d0e21ece258b816a.png

I think I may wait a while before opening the 'scope, but it looks hopeful for tonight.

image.png.33581a9c254f479b9aa47389b5574942.png

The sky is clearing here.  Already lots of clear sky. 😀  I'm going out to open up shortly.  I shall be finishing my remote roof control in the next few days with any luck.

Observatory roof is now open after over a week of lock-down!!

• Like 2

Clearing here too, but it's still very windy and the forecast is for plenty more rain overnight, so I'm not going to open the roof up just yet.

James

• Like 1

its clear here too - scarborough - with a light breeze but every so often a gust of gale!

• Like 1

Sky's clearing, but the wind is too much for my open telescope. A widefield rig in an obsy should be OK, but my 'scope is just too exposed.

Forecast is for the wind to get stronger again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomato said:

To be honest,  I'd be very happy for an affordable solution that didn't have the encoders.   If it took two, or three attempts to get within half a degree, then that would be good enough for me.  The "sloppiness" is the major issue that seems to cost a lot.

Edited by don4l

Clear, but windy here so I'm going to give the binos a try...... may be too windy, but fingers crossed.....

• Like 1

Hey guess what.  since that post a mo ago its clouded, gusty gale and chucked it down!  

Cloudy again and now we have some heavy duty thunder to go with it, topped off with a sudden pick-up in the wind speed.  On balance I think there's not going to be much opportunity to do any observing tonight.

James

Running...  Imaging Orion in OIII.  KStars FITS Viewer autostretch.

1982306683_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1618-37-01.png.8ee8b429b45382fbe089f2845884a40a.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Good luck Gina. I'll keep an eye on things, if the weather improves I may open up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, don4l said:

To be honest,  I'd be very happy for an affordable solution that didn't have the encoders.   If it took two, or three attempts to get within half a degree, then that would be good enough for me.  The "sloppiness" is the major issue that seems to cost a lot.

How about a pneumatic actuator that squeezes the focuser to the OTA at the end of the rotation and before re-focus? This is why we have mounts with lots of extra load capacity😁

I notice folks are getting ready to use their kit which was the original theme of this (very long) thread, so I'll stop hi-jacking it after this post.