Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

54 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

With the obs currently out of action hopefully I can have my first proper dark sky session with the Apollo 22x85 binos tonight. Given @Ships and Stars experience with the 15x70s I might even try using the OIII and UHC filters in the eyepieces to see if I can pick up the California Nebula in Perseus and/or the Tadpoles @ Flaming star in neighbouring Auriga 🤞

We had an incredibly clear spell last night, but it was short lived as the centre of Storm Dennis passed, less than an hour and closer to 45min, but the transparency was notable, guess the air was scrubbed clean of dust and aerosol pollutants. I grabbed the bins for a little while but wasn't wearing a coat with a hood. With the almost mirror-like coating of the filters, any stray light entering from the sides will reflect back intensely, so I find a good hood is essential!

I'd imagine with 22x85s and OIII/UHC filters, IC410 Tadpole will appear as a large though faintly luminous area, roughly circular and again, quite big. IC405 Flaming Star will be more challenging I think, but you might pick up some nebulosity just north of the two stars off to the side of the 'Auriga Ladder' (my terminology there) - you probably know what I mean but check the Stellarium screenshot below if that helps. The California Nebula will want an Hb filter from my limited experience and research on that one, but UHC and OIII have shown an elongated dark area - just not enough contrast for my eyes!

Total cloud here tonight, but tomorrow is my big night, taking the 500p and bins to my dark sky 'B' spot if I haven't jinxed myself here 👍

Let me know how you get on! 

PS Geof - get really good and dark adapted and eat a carrot a day just in case, haha - https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/do-carrots-really-help-you-see-in-the-dark/

Auriga Ladder.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
Added weblink
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

We had an incredibly clear spell last night, but it was short lived as the centre of Storm Dennis passed, less than an hour and closer to 45min, but the transparency was notable, guess the air was scrubbed clean of dust and aerosol pollutants. I grabbed the bins for a little while but wasn't wearing a coat with a hood. With the almost mirror-like coating of the filters, any stray light entering from the sides will reflect back intensely, so I find a good hood is essential!

I'd imagine with 22x85s and OIII/UHC filters, IC410 Tadpole will apear as a large though faintly luminous area, roughly circular and again, quite big. IC405 Flaming Star will be more challenging I think, but you might pick up some nebulosity just north of the two stars off to the side of the 'Auriga Ladder' (my terminology there) - you probably know what I mean but check the Stellarium screenshot below if that helps. The California Nebula will want an Hb filter from my limited experience and research on that one, but UHC and OIII have shown an elongated dark area - just not enough contrast for my eyes!

Total cloud here tonight, but tomorrow is my big night, taking the 500p and bins to my dark sky 'B' spot if I haven't jinxed myself here 👍

Let me know how you get on! 

Auriga Ladder.jpg

Thanks for the filter tips and I like the 'Auriga Ladder' asterism, I'll remember that one :thumbright:. First I have to find my smaller size visual filters as I haven't used them in quite a while since I bought 2" versions; I may even be wrong about having the 1.25" eyepiece UHC, but I know that I definitely have an OIII, so we'll have to see what I can find.... What is the difference between Ha and Hb filters, though I'm pretty sure that I don't have either in visual format.

Cheers

• Like 1

Ha is deep red and Hb is blueish.  The Ha line is 4x as bright as the Hb but for visual Ha is barely visible.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

Ha is deep red and Hb is blueish.  The Ha line is 4x as bright as the Hb but for visual Ha is barely visible.

Thanks Gina! I thought Ha was for photography, but wasn't sure. 

17 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks for the filter tips and I like the 'Auriga Ladder' asterism, I'll remember that one :thumbright:. First I have to find my smaller size visual filters as I haven't used them in quite a while since I bought 2" versions; I may even be wrong about having the 1.25" eyepiece UHC, but I know that I definitely have an OIII, so we'll have to see what I can find.... What is the difference between Ha and Hb filters, though I'm pretty sure that I don't have either in visual format.

Cheers

There may already be a name for this group of stars, but the Auriga Ladder asterism seems to fit. Hb is good for a number of specific targets, most famously the Horse Head as you probably know. 

I shamelessly pinched this Hb list online but can't remember where I got it!

USEFUL TARGETS FOR THE H-BETA FILTER

While the H-Beta is probably one of the less-used nebula filters, the commonly expressed idea that it works only on a handful of objects is not necessarily true.  Here is a list of some of the more prominent objects that the H-Beta may be at least somewhat useful on.  Some may require larger apertures (and some may be slightly better in other filters), but a few have been seen from a dark sky site by just holding the filter up to the unaided eye and looking at the sky. 

1.  IC 434 (HORSEHEAD NEBULA)
2.  NGC 1499 (CALIFORNIA NEBULA, naked eye and RFT)
3.  M43 (part of the Great Orion Nebula)
4.  IC 5146 (COCOON NEBULA in Cygnus)
5.  M20 (TRIFID NEBULA, main section)
6.  NGC 2327 (diffuse nebula in Monoceros, part of the Seagull)
7.  IC 405 (the FLAMING STAR NEBULA in Auriga)
8.  IC 417 (diffuse Nebula in Auriga)
9.  IC 1283 (diffuse Nebula in Sagittarius)
10. IC 1318 GAMMA CYGNI NEBULA (diffuse nebula in Cygnus)
11. IC 2177: SEAGULL NEBULA (Diffuse Nebula, Monoceros)
12. IC 5076 (diffuse nebula, Cygnus)
13. PK64+5.1 "CAMPBELL'S HYDROGEN STAR" Cygnus (PNG 64.7+5.0)
14. Sh2-157a (small round nebula inside larger Sh2-157, Cassiopeia)
15. Sh2-235 (diffuse nebula in Auriga).
16. Sh2-276 "BARNARD'S LOOP" (diffuse nebula in Orion, naked eye)
17. IC 2162 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion)
18  Sh2-254 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
19. Sh2-256-7 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
20. vdB93 (Gum-1) (diffuse nebula in Monoceros near IC 2177)
21. Lambda Orionis nebular complex (very large, naked-eye)   
22. Sh2-273 "Cone" Nebula portion south of nebulous cluster NGC 2264

In addition, a number of the brighter nebulae like NGC 7000 or M42 will respond to H-Beta use for revealing certain specific detail, although other filters may provide a somewhat better view overall.

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I like the 'Auriga Ladder' asterism

It's a good one, I often have a look at it when I'm out, good in binos.

• Like 2

Here it is in an Ha image of the Flaming Star and Tadpoles though wrong angle to look much like a ladder...

1000457297_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2420-15-52.png.3a4cd137b1e6f378e577604bc5c826ba.png

• Like 4

This is another grouping for which I want OIII and SII.  So much to image so little imaging time!!!

• Like 1

I'm in a bit of a quandary.  DSOs in Orion and Auriga are not going to be available much longer this season due to setting behind terrestrial objects!  Yet I want to finish the Heart & Soul which currently don't set.  Maybe I should image the objects that set first.

• Confused 1

How are you set for the targets that are going out of view soon? Can any of them be "finished" (To the extent that any image is "finished") this season? I'd do them first then look at H&S.

I'm in a similar quandary. ATM my main telescope is set up for galaxies with LRGBHa in the wheel. If I want to do nebulae in NB it will meen another re-jig of the whole rig, Argh Damn the delays on my obsy, I could have had the big 'scope ready for NGC2903 by now, with the 130 apo for the Leo Triplet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

It looks like we might have a couple of hours clear sky here early evening, but it will still be very windy, so the obs roof is staying locked down. I have to go into hospital for a minor day procedure op on Tuesday, so I'm leaving the obs locked down until I see how I feel after I've been home a couple of days. It's very bad timing given that we are now properly getting into Moonless dark nights, but it is what it is and hopefully I'll only be out of action for a few days.

With the obs currently out of action hopefully I can have my first proper dark sky session with the Apollo 22x85 binos tonight. Given @Ships and Stars experience with the 15x70s I might even try using the OIII and UHC filters in the eyepieces to see if I can pick up the California Nebula in Perseus and/or the Tadpoles @ Flaming star in neighbouring Auriga 🤞

I didn't know filters could be put in the eyepieces. Cool.

• Like 1

I tried to image the ladder recently.  If you cover one eye and look hard, you can just about see it.

ic405ladder.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Fraunhoffer said:

I didn't know filters could be put in the eyepieces. Cool.

It's not possible with all (most) fixed eyepiece binoculars, but it is with these ones which I just purchased from FLO...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/helios-apollo-high-resolution-85mm-binoculars.html

I've only had them a couple of weeks, so with the bright Moon around I've not even tried them with just the native eyepieces in a fully dark sky yet, let alone trying to fit the filters.....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

It's not possible with all (most) fixed eyepiece binoculars, but it is with these ones which I just purchased from FLO...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/helios-apollo-high-resolution-85mm-binoculars.html

I've only had them a couple of weeks, so with the bright Moon around I've not even tried them with just the native eyepieces in a fully dark sky yet, let alone trying to fit the filters.....

I'm looking forward to your reports on these.  It's something that I've thought about many times, but I find that an ordinary pair of binos become difficult after just a couple of minutes.  I take it that you are still happy with the tripod/mount that you bought?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, don4l said:

I'm looking forward to your reports on these.  It's something that I've thought about many times, but I find that an ordinary pair of binos become difficult after just a couple of minutes.  I take it that you are still happy with the tripod/mount that you bought?

I'll definitely report back, but probably under the binocular observing forum, though maybe I'll link to that from here also. Yes, I'm very pleased with the parallelogram mount so far, but it does suffer from vibration with anything more than a strong breeze, however, the ability to see all parts of the sky from a seated position is a huge benefit. I tried some right angled binos, but found locating objects much more difficult than the 'point and shoot' of these straight through versions.

• Like 1

Rain stopped, wind just a breeze, sun popped out briefly, some blue sky but mainly clouds. 

Imaging rig now on mount, powered up and all set up for OIII imaging tonight.  I'll decide what to image when tonight comes and I see where any clouds are.  I'd like some OIII (and maybe SII) on the Flame and M42 to complete the Orion image, also the Flaming Star and Tadpoles.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

I focused on far trees in OIII before I put the rig out on the mount so focussing should be close.

This is an ROI of 500 pixels square (c.f. full frame of 4656 x 3520).  Trees on horizon are over 5 miles away.

107020534_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1615-38-33.png.16b97417c7c7f2c68baadc007782038b.png

• Like 3

I need to turn the camera 90 degrees to get the same framing for Orion and the Flaming Star & Tadpoles so I think I'll go and do that.  Taking advice from @DaveS - makes good sense.

Right then - done that.  Orion will disappear first so I'll do OIII on that then go over to the Flaming Star & Tadpoles.

Edited by Gina

13 minutes ago, Gina said:

I need to turn the camera 90 degrees to get the same framing for Orion and the Flaming Star & Tadpoles so I think I'll go and do that.  Taking advice from @DaveS - makes good sense.

I need to figure a way of rotating my DSLR when it's mounted piggy back. Always seems to be in the worst orientation. 🤔

Edited by Fraunhoffer
  • Like 1

With almost everything remote controlled it makes me wonder if I could remote control camera rotation as well!

2 hours ago, don4l said:

I tried to image the ladder recently.  If you cover one eye and look hard, you can just about see it.

ic405ladder.jpg

This is brilliant! The Auriga Ladder. I'll need a bigger scope to observe the fellow in the red shirt I think. Mag 16 I reckon.

• Haha 3

I need to figure a way of rotating my DSLR when it's mounted piggy back. Always seems to be in the worst orientation. 🤔

You need a ball joint.  Carole

I want my camera rotation remote controlled!!!  I do, I do, yep - definitely.  Need to get my thinking cap on.  I don't believe it's impossible!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geoflewis said:

First I have to find my smaller size visual filters as I haven't used them in quite a while since I bought 2" versions; I may even be wrong about having the 1.25" eyepiece UHC, but I know that I definitely have an OIII, so we'll have to see what I can find....

Since it's finally stopped raining here I popped down to the observatory and located the 1.25" filters. The OIII is an original Lumicon which has previously provided excellent views of the Veil complex in my 4" APO, the UHC is Baader and rarely used. I've fitted them to the bino eyepieces, so now the wait for clear skies, hopefully tonight.....🤞