Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Forecast for tomorrow is partly cloudy for the evening but showers in the afternoon.  I'm hoping I can dodge the showers tomorrow afternoon and put my WF imaging rig out on the mount.  I'm hoping I may get some imaging in up till midnight or so then close roof as there are showers forecast fro the early hours of Monday morning.  With the moon out of the way I'm looking at OIII for which I have several candidates including the Heart & Soul.

Well, there's nothing like hoping 🤣

9 minutes ago, Gina said:

Rain is back!! 

Heading our way Gina, lots of it by the looks.

20200215_212540.jpg

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Heading our way Gina, lots of it by the looks.

20200215_212540.jpg

I have seen a few graphs that show Kent as clear. However is chucking it down and blowing a gale here in Rochester. I hope there isn't worse to Come!

• Sad 1

Wind has got up a bit again but the rain has stopped.

Was very windy a while ago but has now gone quiet. 🙂

Sunday isn’t looking too bad although windy until mid afternoon.

18E7E632-FB35-44BA-8260-3FC90163572B.jpeg

Not much rain, just a thin drizzle. Noisy wind though. Sunday night still looking promising though.

• Like 1

I'm going to stop posting "Rain has stopped" and "Raining again" and just say having rain showers with gusty wind at times!

What storm?

Was a quiet night here with very little wind just showers.Todays forecast is nore damp and breezy than anything. 🙂

F2BA8620-75C5-43C4-A6DD-9C5DA80D0AB4.jpeg

I will wait with interest. Not expecting much deep sky.

A breezy and humid session with Luna I expect.

Screenshot_20200216-084427.png

Edited by Fraunhoffer

I'm seeing similar forecasts. I doubt if I'll be imaging, but I hope to be able to sort out the Sesto Senso.

I think the peak of the storm was overnight, when we had a power cut. It only lasted about 15 mins or so.

Lots of wind during the night but not much now but it is raining.

Keeping fingers crossed for tonight.

569930914_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1609-05-18.png.54433116e7272160cfa2875b92ada0cf.png

795433609_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1609-06-47.thumb.png.9e6855d583f264c8ebc38475d6bb93eb.png

• Like 1

I,ll keep my fingers crossed for you too Gina, but with that wind and cloud I think the scope will be staying in the garage. Maybe this year as I retire soon I may get a permanent obsy built which would enable me to get a lot more data (and not having to work next morning may help too 🙂 ).

image.png.3421a6274383faeafd66b398bb07ce79.png

• Thanks 1

Having got my mojo for astro imaging back I shall have to sort out a raised walkway from house to observatory as soon as the weather permits, just in case we get another wet winter next time.

• Like 3

It was scarily windy last night and I had to go and pick up hubby at one point, and my car was being blown around by the wind.

It was howling down the chimneys with sudden scary gusts when we went to bed but the wind seems to have dropped this morning. 

It's forecast for clear skies this evening, but I haven't got my mount ATM, it's down in Exeter with FLO having a Rowan belt Mod.

So no Astronomy for me until it comes back.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Forecast is clear for tonight here, but it's going to be to 40-50 mph gusty winds. 😡

My observatory is orientated to protect the imaging rig from westerly winds including the SW prevailing winds.  My view to the west round to the north is restricted by rising ground and trees anyway.

EDIT - Ooops text disappeared...

My plan is to see if I can finish off the Heart and Soul while I have the 135mm lens on the rig as that gives the best FOV for these.  I'm hoping to have a dual imaging rig finished soon and that will have 105mm lenses initially.  There are a few areas of the night sky which look interesting with this wider FOV.  This is one.

Screenshot from 2020-02-16 10-08-38.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Here's another - the Angelfish in Orion but this will not be available for much longer this season.

2109744808_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1610-41-24.png.130bd10aab3a0bb174eb4b41acf09f9d.png

This is looking rather too good to be true.  Particularly knowing how things change as we get nearer!!

623703027_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1610-46-25.png.0984219769427c9486ed5108ccbe86df.png

Looks fairly good for one or two evenings this week, but the garden is a swamp at the mo, so looks like anything towards  UMa might be in order as I can set up on the driveway. Nothing worse than accurate polar aligning to have it all go squiffy as the mount endeavours to bury itself in the quagmire.🙄

image.png.09b9c477461de56b5203db42f185bb57.png

Edited by KevS
dreadful typo

It looks like we might have a couple of hours clear sky here early evening, but it will still be very windy, so the obs roof is staying locked down. I have to go into hospital for a minor day procedure op on Tuesday, so I'm leaving the obs locked down until I see how I feel after I've been home a couple of days. It's very bad timing given that we are now properly getting into Moonless dark nights, but it is what it is and hopefully I'll only be out of action for a few days.

With the obs currently out of action hopefully I can have my first proper dark sky session with the Apollo 22x85 binos tonight. Given @Ships and Stars experience with the 15x70s I might even try using the OIII and UHC filters in the eyepieces to see if I can pick up the California Nebula in Perseus and/or the Tadpoles @ Flaming star in neighbouring Auriga 🤞

• Like 5