Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Dry at the mo, but not expecting to do anything on the obsy until Mon at least, possibly Tue. Had Wessex Water filling in the top of their excavation with hot tarmac.

Not looking good for Fri and Sat although Sun night looks a lot better. Forecast here gives it as gusty winds and showers on Sat all day and Sun until tea time.

Edited by johninderby

I'm playing a gig on Saturday. Every time I've been to  practice it's been a clear night.

Sunday looks vaguely possible here, Monday all forecasts say cloud but dry, Tuesday looks a better bet but that's a way off yet.

Sunday's showing some green, but also red for wind

image.png.22f4d07804be280c2153947caf42285f.png

The rain is here in the form of a heavy drizzle.  The wind is increasing too.

Not that good here.

463375762_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1413-37-30.png.60c07b350ae104b0c7a48225514b7423.png

955867917_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1413-42-50.thumb.png.106f19e7a202e0772a6777cf278690e5.png

Edited by Gina

Heavy rain and windy now!

Not reached here yet but was just outside and feels like it is about to rain. Local forecast is for light showers during the day with heavier rain overnight.

Edited by johninderby

Set up the 20" at dusk yesterday under town LP, but forecast kept changing. Didn't clear enough to view until 12:15am with moonrise close behind at 12:41. Pretty poor seeing but managed to revisit M108  plus about ten or eleven new galaxies. Galaxies are a new area for me, so last night basically doubled the tally. Leo quartet then over to the Leo triplet (I didn't see every galaxy in these, think some are mag 13 plus?) and then back over, working up and down through (I think) NGC3377, 3367, 3384 and M105, 96 and 95. Was rushed for time against the moon, so will revisit these again under better conditions. Used a Leica zoom to start, it has a very wide FOV (for a zoom) and lets me dial in max usable magnification. However, since I didn't bother setting up goto and was flying manually with the raci, I soon swapped to the 21E to gain a wide FOV. I let out a few gasps as different galaxies finally came into view, it took a bit of hunting, but really enjoyed it. No chance of getting out tonight don't think!

Well no storm yet. Showers and gusts of wind from time to time but nothing much really. No rain at the moment.

There is always tonight / tomorrow though. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

Fairly noisy wind at the mo. Rain has paused though it was chucking down earlier.

CO suggests clear sky tomorrow, but with too much wind for imaging, Maybe I can try to get the focuser working.

Raining here - quite heavy ATM but has varied from almost nothing to a deluge.  Gusty wind but not yet as much as last weekend.

Raining here, and gusty winds aswell, getting stronger all the time.

The horizontal rain is back, can see it blowing in waves across the fields out the back.

Wind getting up here with increasing gusts. It was raining earlier but has all but stopped at the moment. 

Good luck to everyone; keep safe!

The wind has decreased here but still raining.

Spoke too soon - just had a sudden gust.  Still less than last weekend though.

May be a chance of imaging tomorrow night.  I think my single widefield imaging rig is ready to go out onto the mount.  Dual imaging rig is well under way and may be ready by Tuesday night which looks promising in the forecast.

1271494253_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1518-49-55.png.2f8b17318f4a9600220d89dd93021a79.png

2107099847_Screenshotfrom2020-02-1518-51-19.thumb.png.0cfed42e13ce0153c7e49f4cc5771e99.png

Think it has to be at least 10-12 days since I have seen the night sky. Blowing a hooligan and lashing down here yet again.

Just checked and my last time was February 6th into 7th.  The subs from the 7th were useless though so that makes the last usable imaging as 6th and it's now 15th making 9 days since the last imaging.  Out of a 10 hour imaging run I got just 2 hours of usable subs due to passing clouds.  Can't remember that last time I got a good night's imaging!!

Seems to have stopped raining here but still thick cloud.  Rather breezy but the wind has dropped from earlier.