Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

@carastro Hi Carole.  I hope you don't mind, I went for this one tonight after seeing your image.  I stacked 3 x 900s in DSS just to see, and it there at least :D

SH2-114-test.jpg

[heh heh]

I had a look at this as well.  It's a bit dim and will need some time!

I wonder how many other people tried this tonight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, don4l said:

You could go for the angelfish.  Just aim at those 4 stars at the apex.  It is brighter than people say, and might fit your FoV.

Yes, I've captured that in the past but I want to cover a FoV around the Horse's Head that I haven't really captured before.

Here's a 20s Ha image of Orion but really the FOV is too much.  I could use ROI but it would be quite a small area of the image sensor and the resolution would suffer.

Orion_Light_H_Alpha_20_secs_2019-09-18T01-49-47_007.png.ab93bcde81212194c5558adc3a1308c2.png

• Like 1

Using ROI 30s exposure Ha.  Background is too bright.  This is no good with so much moon!  I'm packing up now.

OrionROI_Light_H_Alpha_30_secs_2019-09-18T02-09-39_006.png.fcf0a20dbaaa16648564471ebdeaef73.png

• Like 1

All shut down and roof closed and I'm off to bed.  Goodnight all.  Good luck to anyone still up.

• Like 1

Nice to have Orion looking over my shoulder as I start my flat frame runs.

Moon not very convenient for carrying on with M33 project, so was imaging in HA with the Nifty Fifty last night.

Hi Carole.  I hope you don't mind, I went for this one tonight after seeing your image.  I stacked 3 x 900s in DSS just to see, and it there at least :D

SH2-114-test.jpg

Looks promising, what camera is that Adam?

Carole

Well the night started off badly with a...Windows update on my scope mini PC! I kind of fobbed off some message when I last imaged last week, but last night the dreaded "restart now or in one hour" message came up...so I decided to bite the bullet and restart...and it cost me 50 minutes between 9.40pm and 10.30pm...I HATE losing imaging time.

The thing is, I always used a travel router to remote into the PC, but really enjoyed connecting my rig to home WiFi recently and being able to control it from anywhere in the home... there's a downside to internet connections of course!

The only consolation was that that period included the meridian flip for IC1318, so I probably lost more like 40 mins, or 7 NB subs when factoring in dithering.

Anyway - all went okay around that rude interruption - left rig plugging away all night and got up early to cover it all up for tonight! 

Edited by eshy76

9 hours ago, don4l said:

Moravian G3 16200 MarkII.  6um pixels instead of 9um and much greater OIII sensitivity.  I'm really surprised at the impact of the smaller pixels.  It really is quite astonishing.  The old camera had aged very badly, and had become very noisy.

Very nice, it's good to know what's out there in case I ever have to replace my old QSI583..... I'll follow your progress with it with interest 😀

I might only do a short run tonight and save some energy for tomorrow and/or Friday when the moon rises later.  Looks rubbish after that.

1380016733_Screenshotfrom2019-09-1810-01-50.png.2b08771d05b2a7bd7272570ff34c03e1.png

Saturday had been showing orange, mainly due to the temp, now it's solid red. However I'm seeing a block of 4 hours green from just after dark on Sunday. Might be worth trying something on Stephan and Deer in RGB.

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Looks promising, what camera is that Adam?

Carole

Hi Carole.  I only had time to grab the subs and quickly run through APP this morning before school and work.  This is the stacked data with a crop and DPP stretch, and converted to JPEG.

This is 57 x 900s from last night, using ED80 + KAF-8300 based cameras ATIK383L+ and QHY9.

The moon probably totally dstroyed the contrast, but I wanted to test 15 mins subs, and the stars look more or less ok.

St-avg-51300.0s-LNMWC_1_2.0_none-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RL-MBB5-session_1_session_2_1stLNC_it3-St.thumb.jpg.65c0484f068e63068f9f75abafa3ffd8.jpg

St-avg-51300.0s-LNMWC_1_2.0_none-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RL-MBB5-session_1_session_2_1stLNC_it3-St-inverted.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
Replaced inverted image which had black band at the bottom
  • Like 2

Weekend is showing wet here with thundery showers!  Looks like the end of summer but who knows!

BBC ha e been muttering about thundery showers in the South West.

This is the 2 hours i did last night, given a DDP and histogram stretch, Needs Flats.997572368_2HourSwithMoon.thumb.jpg.70997dd8304adc7adecb22477697b67b.jpg

I have some circular artifacts which may be due to the moon.

• Like 2

Tried T-Shirt flats but got weird exposure readings. Will run twilight flats instead.

Oops, I should have said (Though I did in an earlier post) that it was 2 Hours [SII] on Melotte 15, with rather a bright moon nearby.

Will concentrate on M27 for the next few nights.

Didn't achieve a whole lot here, PAd and did new sky model after beating plate solving into submission 😂

Dave

I feel quite satisfied with last night's play in spite of the bright moon.  No lock-ups.  Clear view of the Heart & Soul and should be some decent Ha subs plus a decent imaging run on the Cygnus Loop in Ha and SII (OIII needs the moon out of the way).  Waited for Orion but it was a no-go due to the moon.  It was quite a heavy session and feeling rather "cream crackered" today.

I'm pretty pleased with my efforts. Haven't taken any flats yet so can't do anything proper with the images as of yet. Will try stitching the mosaic together now though and see what I am missing! :)

• Like 1

Hi Carole.  I only had time to grab the subs and quickly run through APP this morning before school and work.  This is the stacked data with a crop and DPP stretch, and converted to JPEG.

This is 57 x 900s from last night, using ED80 + KAF-8300 based cameras ATIK383L+ and QHY9.

The moon probably totally dstroyed the contrast, but I wanted to test 15 mins subs, and the stars look more or less ok.

Presume this is dual rig as it's 14 hours worth in one night.  Much better data than mine, so what is your current Bortle scale?  Also a better FOV than mine too, must use a wider scope or bigger camera next time.   Well done, looking forward to seeing some colour added when you get time.

Carole 

11 minutes ago, carastro said:

Presume this is dual rig as it's 14 hours worth in one night.  Much better data than mine, so what is your current Bortle scale?  Also a better FOV than mine too, must use a wider scope or bigger camera next time.   Well done, looking forward to seeing some colour added when you get time.

Carole 

Yes it is a dual rig.  I dont know what my exact Bortle scale is, but I believe it is 4.  Not a lot of return for 14 hours, but I guess the faintness and the moon play a big role in that.  I was tempted to add to the heart nebula Ha last night, but I liked your image, and so went for that instead.  Framing was hard as I was very hard to see the nebula even with 60s 8x8 binned exposure stretched!

OK< so big difference then, you are Bortle 4 and I am Bortle 8, which explains the difference on what I captured.   Our Astro camp is Bortle 4, so must do it there next time I go.

Framing was hard as I was very hard to see the nebula even with 60s 8x8 binned exposure stretched!

Tell me about it, I could not even see it after a 10min exposure (stretched) , could just about see the "eyebrows".  There are some cracking images of it on Astrobin which is where I get a lot of inspiration, but the trouble is you don't know their location unless they actually tell you.  I think there was a request at one time to add this to the check boxes, but it hasn;t happened yet. 

Carole 

• Thanks 1

Results of inspecting the subs from last night in PI's Blink showed :-

For the Heart & Soul,

1. 151 Ha subs of fine looking quality.
  2. 28 SII subs looking good.
  3. 15 OIII subs show definite promise, so optimistic for later in the week when the moon rises later.

For Cygnus Loop when the moon was well up,

1. 100 Ha subs of fine looking quality.
  2. No OIII subs.
  3. No SII subs.
  • Like 3

Now, as to what to image in the next sessions...  Orion is out due to the moon but the Heart & Soul and Cygnus Loop are both contenders.

I also need to take Darks and Flats but I think these need taking with the exact same ROI settings as the Lights so that the same part of the image sensor is used for the Darks and the same area of filters and other optical surfaces are covered.  This makes it questionable about using ROI and using a longer focus lens would be better.  Consequently, I'm thinking I should re-jig the rig for the 135mm f2.5 lens rather than using a 105mm lens.