Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Been waiting for the Moon to drop behind the roof tops to try and get some more Ha on the Tadpoles just started but cloud is approaching.

Dave

I'm planning to shoot some cluster tonight with my dslr .some bright ones like m41,47,35

Will the moon be too much of a problem or should flats get rid of that extra glow ?

10 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

Managed to get out for first light with the CEM60. Initial Polar alignment and all that jazz. I was just happy to spent the time learning the software and making sure things behaved as expected. Loving the lack of backlash, after a Celestron AVX

Couldn't resist a grabbing something though: 250 stacked frames, Skywatcher ED80 / asi1600mm and, as an experiment, the 7nm Sii filter

Oh, and a side by side of the backlash difference

Backlash?🤔

Thursday looking hopeful now.
Set my alarm to wake me up every 2 hours last night but it looked cloudy & misty here in west London.

I plan to go down the thin terminator (Thursday) doubling up on the ND filters, to see what I can find:
Aristarchus and Schroters Valley
Marius and the Marius Rille
Schiller and Gassendi+Gassendi A

Hope its not too windy so I can get my sketchbook out again.

Anyone else moon-watching ?

I two am hoping on getting out tonight for a couple of hours. The days have been starting wonderfully here, clear blue sky, However by early afternoon its thick cloud.

Last night was very frustrating. it was a constant mix between clear sky or cloud. I thought about setting up on a few occasions but decided against it. However the sky did look crystal clear between the cloud breaks.

Regards

Baz

Won't be outside for a bit.  My mount is packed up and almost ready to go to FLO for Rowan belt Mod.

It's a few years old now and I thought since it has never been opened up it was time for a bit of a service, plus I have been lately getting a strange occurrence when I use Polemaster where the star doesn't stay on the circle for a bit and then jumps back onto it.   So I thought if it's going to be opened up for service, I might as well go the whole hog and have the belt mod done.

Since I am stuck at home for the winter in Bortle 8 and it's coming up to galaxy season it was a good time to - NOT HAVE MY MOUNT.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Anyone else moon-watching ?

Only to the extent of cursing the wretched thing for washing out my imaging.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Only to the extent of cursing the wretched thing for washing out my imaging.

I initially read that as "using the cursed thing to hang my washing out". That's what I'm thinking of doing with my rig at the moment with these terrible skies. 

I shall not be out this evening.  Looking after my health instead!

• Like 4

The green blocks that CO was showing for tonight have now turned red, What a surprise. Not :( . Tomorrow is still showing green but I don't expect it to last.

Really don't know why I haven't sold up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Currently playing silly beggars with dovetails trying to get my 80mm f/4.4 into service for Markarian's Chain, while waiting for Darch to deliver 1200l oil for the central heating.

Edit: Haha, just saw the Darch tanker pull up after typing the above.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The green blocks that CO was showing for tonight have now turned red, What a surprise. Not :( . Tomorrow is still showing green but I don't expect it to last.

I usually double check with the metoffice detailed weather map foercast (or other) to see where the clouds are moving to and from.
for  21:00  Thursday.

(its quite interesting scrolling through the timeline - Im coming to the conclusion that certain parts of the country seem to get much less cloud, mist and fog than where I am at the moment)

image.png.0f28b03f9c00ae43bad6d5351f57a932.png

Edited by Fraunhoffer
added map

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

Because you're like me - well and truly bitten by the bug!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Get some rest Gina!

Don’t sell up Dave, you know you’d regret it! 

It was clear last night so instead of just taking advantage of it I decided in my wisdom to swap scopes, I have had the ed100 on my mount for a few months now and was restless for a change. 
I loaded up the Meade 8” sct but forgot the configuration of spacers for the 6.3focal reducer and was getting badly stretched stars anywhere apart from the middle so I used my tsFlat 2 which was connected to the ed100 and although I will be now imaging at F10 I have a flat field. 
I spent most of the night recalibrating phd for the new setup! 
I am going to try some close up sections of nebula for a change and some galaxy hunting although it’s gonna be slow going with the aforementioned F10. 
It doesn’t look like it’ll be clear tonight but reading Sat24 and using a crystal ball, there maybe a couple of clear patches? 

Bryan 

• Like 2

Yeah, no real intention of selling up, just frustration talking.

Won't be playing tonight either as it's solid cloud.

Just now, DaveS said:

Yeah, no real intention of selling up, just frustration talking.

Won't be playing tonight either as it's solid cloud.

I didn’t think you were serious, I completely understand your frustration. So far, this year, and the end of last has been shocking! 

You can tell when the clouds start to clear ... It's approaching full moon 😟

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, knobby said:

You can tell when the clouds start to clear ... It's approaching full moon 😟

This is so true. 
I need to invest in some 3nm filters one day, or maybe a rocket launcher with enough vanta black paint to cover the visible side of the moon! (Which could be cheaper!!)

• Haha 3

I can see I am not the only one who's frustrated then. After todays lovely clear blue sky I  was really hoping to be out tonight splitting stars.  Instead it's thick cloud again, joy...

Baz

• Like 1

Very frustrating here too.  Looking at the Moon you would think that it is completely clear.  However, there is a thin haze which means that only a few stars are visible.  A 3nm filter won't see much through the murk. 

It does seem to be gradually getting clearer though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I can see I am not the only one who's frustrated then. After todays lovely clear blue sky I  was really hoping to be out tonight splitting stars.  Instead it's thick cloud again, joy...

Baz

Yeah, That happens often. 

I work outside, and on roofs, but I'd sooner have a wet windy day followed by a crisp clear night any day! (or should that be any night?)

5 minutes ago, don4l said:

It does seem to be gradually getting clearer though.

Good luck with that, I don't think it's happening here tonight!

Looking out of my living room window I can see stars - nice sharp stars.  I'm not going out though, I need to look after my health.  Feeling better than yesterday but still have a chill and not feeling up to much.  Tempting but I really mustn't!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Good luck with that, I don't think it's happening here tonight!

It looks like it is happening much quicker than I hoped.

However, the problem is that my current target will be obscured by the Moon in a few hours!

Edited by don4l
  • Like 1