Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 minute ago, Mick H said:

What are we looking at Gina (embarrassed emoji thingy)

Orion.

• Like 1

M42 unstretched.

462546188_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2819-23-42.png.32e8553a60328550563295226db76f2d.png

• Like 1

M42 with a slight stretch in GIMP.

802004020_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2819-27-59.png.37319e0b372e43a9c5d4e45c6d918606.png

• Like 2

In case anyone missed the Lunar / Venus earlier, just as getting dark.

DSC_0606.JPG

• Like 6

Yes, I saw it - quite spectacular.

Flame and HorseHead in Orion's Sword.  Stretched.  A lot!

g180_Light_H_Alpha_120_secs_2020-01-28T19-10-02_001a.png.028504de9ab08facfa407f5a1d808a95.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Still not with it - set number of subs to just one!!  OK now we should be off.  Set to 100 and capturing.

• Like 1

Just now, Gina said:

Still not with it - set number of subs to just one!!  OK now we should be off.  Set to 100 and capturing.

Sometimes, I do my best work when I'm not with it, hopefully you'll have a good night Gina 🤞

• Haha 1

Thank you!  Wonder if there's anything else.  Maybe not - I spent enough time analysing that first sub!!!

Got home with about 45 minutes before Venus went behind the evil tree(TM).

Set, then discovered no drivers for my touptec mono on the laptop...  installed...

In visible light it was dancing around and awful. Managed to get a couple of thousand frames in visible and UV, i8t was a lot more stable in UV but still wobbly so I'm not expecting much.

One day I will get decent UV footage of Venus and nail those darn clouds!

• Like 1

Sub no.11 stretched to show nebulosity.

g180_Light_H_Alpha_120_secs_2020-01-28T20-08-39_011.png.a0fbc98385cac0e37942c2adb50198e4.png

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Gina said:

Flame and HorseHead in Orion's Sword.  Stretched.  A lot!

Come Gina, do it in your Downtown Abbey (Sorry Lady Devonshire)voice 😉

Love your commentary for us bumpkins.

Edited by Mick H
  • Haha 1

Just had a very brief shower!!  Saw rain on my CCTV so grabbed hat and wellies and dashed out and closed roof (not quite dashed as I was very careful with the mud), closed roof and went back out only to see the rain had stopped and the stars were out!  So I went back in and opened the roof just past half way so that the FoV would be clear for a couple of hours but the roof would protect the rig from the wind just in case of another shower.  The roof rolls off to the west.  This means the warm room shields the rig from the prevailing wind and a partly open roof can shelter the rig from rain if the wind is roughly westerly.

Should add, the imaging didn't show anything - the rain came between downloads!  Very quickly.  It stopped as quickly as it started!  A few spots on the mount and on the floor - not enough to wet it.  Nothing on the lens - dew shield stopped it.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Got home with about 45 minutes before Venus went behind the evil tree(TM).

I have an evil tree SW-ish too. Quercus Enormicus.. I had to resort to setting up on my top floor (inside but through flat glass) to get to look at Moon+Earthshine and Venus THROUGH said tree. Woudln't have bothered but I'm looking for excuses to try out my new (old) Intes Mak 150. Which it turns out is lovely optically but the focuser is truly terrible.

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

Just checked the subs - lost just 4 during my observatory escapade.  Imaging fine again now. 

Tonights weather has told me two things - I need the ASC to warn of approaching cloud and the roof remote control.  Of course, the ASC would only warn me if I was watching it but the roof automation includes a rain sensor which would automatically close the roof if it detected rain.

Edited by Gina

OH It's just done a Meridian Flip and ended up in the wrong place!

It's just done a Meridian Flip and ended up in the wrong place!

Mine regularly does that, I normally do a re alignment after a flip.  I blame it on cone error.   

I have a rain app on my phone that warns of rain approaching within a radius.  Which reminds me I must see if i can cut the radius down a bit. 

Carole 

• Thanks 1

Just been out, and it's clear but a bit too windy for imaging, besides M33 is getting too far west now and getting caught in the Bridport murk. May just do a bit of binocular visual.

• Like 1

Back in position and imaging again.

397649790_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2821-18-02.png.5ccdb4aa4a65feb2eae776c5ac934806.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 3

Clearish here so trying to capture some more data on Tadpoles, bit breezy but mount seems to be coping.

Trying to find a selection of T spacers to fit the Atik4000OSC on the RedCat, not a match made in heaven but will give it a go.

Dave

• Like 1

Got some 5 minute Ha subs of M42, don't know how many before lost guide star.

Now doing 1 minute L subs, showing loads of detail

• Like 1

I haven't got all my kit set up in the obsy after my visit to Dave, and as we are only forecast a couple of hours clear sky, decided to give it a miss tonight.

Carole 

• Like 1

A bit chilly out with the wind. Not really set up for anything at the mo. I may reconfigure for galaxies with the 130 and 1600 using the flattener to give a smaller field at 0.83"pp. The DDM 60 can track to much better than that.

• Like 1

Orion's Sword stretched in PixInsight.

97179406_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2821-36-43.png.e7534977fddde4411299dc87b82201ac.png

• Like 5

Cloud coming over from teh west now so called it a night.