Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Calibrating 173 H&S OIII subs now...

EDIT :-  Oh it seems to be 154 not 173...

Edited by Gina

Checking again gives 131 + 41 = 172.   Hmm... still 18 missing.  Checking the number of files in the Add Files box there's 154 so I must have missed some.

Think I'll leave it for tonight - guess I'm tired from all the late nights and still have a cold!

37 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Not much observing going on around here tonight. 

Fog / drizzle here, still mustn't grumble.

Dave

• Haha 1

Solid cloud and mist here.

Giving up, clear, fog, clear, fog, fog, clear, fog, fog, fog. Really still so great guiding when clear but so far less then an hour of usable data since 8pm so calling quits.

image.png.0926d5db479c2baa89cefc059a8305d7.png

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 2

Had a thought as to why my H&S OIII subs went from 172 to 154.  Being two lot on separate days they were in separate folders and some of the filenames might have been the same - a very low probability but the only thing I can thing of.  Anyway, I'm repeating the process with in two lots and saving to separate folders.

Probably a good plan to get Ekos to put the timestamp in the filename, Gina.

James

It already is.  That's why I said the chance is small - in fact, vanishingly small, needing the start within a second!!  I'll check...

The timestamp includes the date too, so in that case you shouldn't ever get a clash.

James

So Gina, your computer is overwriting some of the images?  Damn annoying.

When I am imaging I normally examine and move the captured files remotely into folders, and sometimes this means Artemis names the subsequent files with the same number.  So when I move them into the folder, I have to tell it to move but keep both files, and then it re-numbers them.  I like to do this as it enables me to keep track of how many subs I have done for each filter.

Carole 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The timestamp includes the date too, so in that case you shouldn't ever get a clash.

James

Ah yes, that's true.  The file names are totally different so that isn't the reason.  With separate sets I have 41 and 131 - adding I make it 172!!  It must have been me not selecting all the files somehow, last night!

350340989_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2310-51-40.png.26fba6266ec3a97bbfcbbd031602f93f.png

2041061593_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2310-52-23.png.92b68a37406351a41847313113cfe07f.png

Edited by Gina

Don't think I can blame the computer Carole.  Must resist trying to do things late at night if I'm tired!!  "The nut behind the wheel" in car parlance!!

I need to sort out where I allocate for PI jobs.  Currently I'm using my first SSD which contains the OS but I have a second SSD which I had for astro files but filled up a few years ago with astro files.  Now moving a pile of these to HD but that is getting full so I shall have to move a lot of astro data right off the computer onto an external drive.  Mind you I think a lot of it is rubbish but sorting it out would take a lot of my valuable time!!

33 minutes ago, carastro said:

So Gina, your computer is overwriting some of the images?  Damn annoying.

When I am imaging I normally examine and move the captured files remotely into folders, and sometimes this means Artemis names the subsequent files with the same number.  So when I move them into the folder, I have to tell it to move but keep both files, and then it re-numbers them.  I like to do this as it enables me to keep track of how many subs I have done for each filter.

Carole 

If I'm understanding correctly I do something similar to maintain continuity of file sequence numbering, in that I take copies of files off my obs capture laptop to my processing laptop, but leave the originals on the obs laptop, so that new file numbering increments correctly. Only when I'm satisfied that I've completed a target will I clear down that data from the obs laptop and only then when the drive on the obs laptop is becoming too full.

• Like 1

Now doing StarRegistration (Alignment) of 172 subs.

Oh...  Had a thought - really want to align Ha subs at the same time.  Oh well, at least I can see how well the OIII does.  That's the trouble with a couple of years break between astro imaging!!

I'll get myself sorted out in time 🤣

Edited by Gina

Just swapped over the filters on my 80mm f/4.4 ASI183 combination. I had an assortment of NB filters in there, but now I've gone to LRGBHa, with Baader L and Ha, and ZWO RGB, ready for galaxy season.

I must stop looking on the FLO site, 'cos I keep telling myself that I don't *really* want an ASI6200, and keep lying in my teeth.

Edited by DaveS
  • Haha 2

Stacking finished.  Here's a screenshot of the result in PixInsight with stretch.  Image of the nebulosity isn't too bad but again the calibration doesn't seem to have worked very well.  This is in spite of taking a lot of care with the calibration images.

1558881165_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2312-57-40.png.c570952db5b48888ee657545a37b4e3b.png

Edited by Gina

Now to sort out the Ha...

My cold is worse again and I'm struggling - probably not a good time to do anything complicated or critical, not that image processing is critical but I was hoping to do more to my ASC and/or sort out guiding.

Been reading the Second Edition of the "Inside PixInsight" book and there's a slight difference in calibrating with darks for cooled CMOS cameras so I'm trying that for the Ha.

I think that's it so buying the Second Edition was worth it!  Screenshot of PI with stretched image.

511148347_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2315-02-47.png.43fe1455a560cd312f0c8ef2906f6ddd.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Post-processed in GIMP.  rotated, cropped stretched in Levels, scaled and saved in PNG format.

22246966_HeartandSoulinHa.png.6bdfcef9eed566c57e840bbe16ea3baf.png

• Like 1