Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

OK, the first sequence finished, now getting the hour of green subs that I should have got at first.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gina said:

Hmmm...   Maybe it needs to be further past the meridian.  I slewed to well outside the frame and it moved right round to the other side but when I slewed bak to the centre of the frame it went right round back to where it was.

To me that suggests that it still thinks the hour angle is less than 00:00 (ie it hasn't reached the point for a flip yet).

This thread provides some ideas, but not ones that help me much, I have to admit.

https://www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/4250-auto-meridian-flip-issue.html

James

Clouds arrived as forecast.

Dave

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Clouds arrived as forecast.

Dave

Looks as though I might have another couple of hours -- the clouds have been pushed back until midnight.  We'll see,

James

It says over an hour past which agrees with the star chart.

572545993_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2122-12-18.png.3af5a687069ce70aa23585823737f33d.png

Edited by Gina

Just had a look out the front and it looks better than I originally thought, perhaps I didn't give enough dark adaptation time. I'm not sure, but are M81 /  2 likely to be visible in 7 x 50 bins from a dark Bortle 4 site? I went looking and thought I saw two V faint smudges at the correct location. I'm not a habitually visual observer so am not sue.

• Like 1

Planning to change targets shortly anyway.

I get the feeling that I'm wasting my time imaging tonight.  PHD2 graph just took a dive and star intensity is far below what it was previously. I looked outside and stars are still visible, but I can also a bank of cloud/fog to the north, which Met Office sat images show heading this way, so I'm shutting down. Hope others have better conditions into the wee hours....

So when I went out to lock up the obs it was so shrouded in fog that I could hardly see it at the bottom of the garden from the house, so def a good decision to quit and have a full night's sleep tonight - mind you just poured myself a whisky mac nightcap first 🤪

Edited by geoflewis
update

This run has about another 10-15 mins to go. After that I'm not sure. I don't want to be starting a new project that might not complete. May have a look at NGC 281, in HII first to see if it's worth pursuing with this FL / FoV. Rosette is another possibility, but may not fit.

• Like 1

My target just went past the meridian.  When I went out to do the meridian flip, it was cloudy.   It's a pity, but I can't complain.  I've got an unexpected 188m of decent data tonight.  That's a real bonus.  I need a good night's sleep anyway.

• Like 1

Moved over to the Heart and Soul for OIII subs of those having collected just over 3 hours of Flaming Star and Tadpoles in OIII.  Wondering how many more hours of clear sky I'm going to get tonight.

• Like 1

I can see light domes reflecting off the undersides of the clouds to the north east -- either Bridgwater or Weston I imagine -- which probably isn't a good sign given the northerly direction of the wind.  I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer though.

James

• Like 1

Heart and Soul OIII g300 180s Temp -25C.

Heart_Light_OIII_180_secs_2020-01-21T22-47-17_001.png.44e5d8921233e626ec7725953d7bd419.png

• Like 2

If i keep the reducer in I can frame M81, M82 and NGC 2077. Without the reducer I get just M81 and M82. Question is: am I ready to leave the winter targets and start Galaxy Season early? ATM my filter wheel is set up for HaLRGB imaging, to go to nebulae I would have to reconfigure the wheel, and maybe swap the reducer for a flattener.

Dunno, may play with Stellarium tomorrow, but now I am turning in for the night. Will be glad when I can sleep in.

'night and clear skies to all.

Goodnight Dave.  I'm still going strong...

• Thanks 1

An hour completed on Heart and Soul in OIII and still looking good.

• Like 1

I've been playing with the data that I got this evening.  I experimented with some Ha on M31.  Normally I would have just gathered it binned 2x2 and made some reddish blotches.  Tonight I got 50m binned 1 x 1, and I am very pleasantly surprised by the result!  While I was waiting for the focus to settle I took some  R, G and B. (12,14 and 18m) binned 2 x 2.  I am chuffed to bits with the result.  I'm going to try to get more Ha, and I already have a bunch of L that I took last week, so I think that I'm going to end up with a lovely image.

m31binned.jpg

• Like 3

I've just had to shut up shop for the night.  The cloud finally got to me.  Still, no complaining here.  That's four nights on the trot I've been out.  It's also been quite a pleasure to be able to wander around without being knee deep in mud, thanks to it all freezing solid.

What was a bit of a surprise was the the roof wheels had frozen to the rails!  It hasn't been that dewy here, but clearly there was enough.  Took quite a bit of effort to break the ice, though by the looks of the forecast I could have left it open until the morning.  I will have to give some thought as to how that might be prevented.

James

• Like 2

Most of the evening there wasn't much dew here, but there must have been a lot just before the clouds rolled in.  Everything was soaked when I put everything away.

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

That looks great Donal 👍

It does indeed.  Nice subtle touches with the Ha.

James

Yes indeed, nice.

I shall be leaving my roof open all night and indeed, imaging all night, capturing OIII on the Heart and Soul.  This is just within the area which doesn't set behind anything.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  @DaveS's M33 prompted me to try it.  When I saw the Ha stack, I thought that he had collected more data than was necessary, but when I saw the end result I thought that I would give it a go.  If we get another clear night, then I'll grab a bunch more Ha.

Just for info,  I didn't do anything fancy to blend it in.  I just loaded it as a separate layer in the Gimp, and colourised it using Colours -> Components -> Channel Mixer.  The layer was then set to screen mode, which produced the finished result.   Much easier than some methods.

It's nice when something goes right in astrophotography.

• Like 3

The clouds don't seem to be moving that fast, so you might get another couple of hours Gina.  I think if you manage to be imaging all night you'll have done exceptionally well :)

James

• Thanks 1