Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Using 135mm lens with 10° x 7.5° FOV.

• Like 1

Brief report on this evenings exploits; set up, polar aligned, put coffee pot, cloud galloped in during the 10 minutes I was inside, took down, watching the news. Ho Hum.

K

• Sad 4

Have fun tonight every-one I will be thinking of you in the pub.  Ha ha.

Carole

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, KevS said:

Brief report on this evenings exploits; set up, polar aligned, put coffee pot, cloud galloped in during the 10 minutes I was inside, took down, watching the news. Ho Hum.

K

Hmmm well CO and the BBC both say its cloudy outside but my eyes say different!  I'm not sure it'll last but I am managing to capture a few subs!

• Like 2

Focus looked poor so I checked it and it was - now fixed.  Flaming Star and Tadpoles OIII g300 180s temp -25°C.  Unbinned.  Stretched and scaled in GIMP.

FS_Light_OIII_180_secs_2020-01-21T19-01-41_001.png.a746db8a7496f455e7996cc987e5d131.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 3

This shows the FOV in KStars and the objects.

2021232104_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2119-16-57.thumb.png.a044a1b3c288229fc0c916f6ba62e312.png

• Like 1

That little collection of bright stars just up and left of centre in your image I always think of as "the bent tuning fork" :)

Been out to the observatory to check on things before I start work.  Now close to -1C.  I shan't be going out again without more layers on.  Looking at some of the data captured so far I reckon I don't quite have the reducer spacing right on the Photoline 72.  Might possibly be a little too close.  I need to look into that.  It would be helpful if it could be tested and set up properly during the day.

James

• Like 2

After seeing @DaveS's M33 I'm doing Ha on M31 binned 1x1.  It is looking very promising.

I'm now torn between getting back to my current project(SH2-261) and carrying on with M31.

• Like 2

I'm still in a quandary about imaging tonight. I've just been outside to take a look and in both directions my neighbours security lights are shrouded in mist/fog, but when I look up there is a pretty clear MW, but then again the Pleiades seem to have a veil across them. Underfoot the lawn is crisp, so I do think its freezing fog, but perhaps very low level hence the clarity overhead. I can't get onto M82 until around 10pm to finish that off, so maybe I'll just wait and see how conditions are then.....

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I'm still in a quandary about imaging tonight. I've just been outside to take a look and in both directions my neighbours security lights are shrouded in mist/fog, but when I look up there is a pretty clear MW, but then again the Pleiades seem to have a veil across them. Underfoot the lawn is crisp, so I do think its freezing fog, but perhaps very low level hence the clarity overhead. I can't get onto M82 until around 10pm to finish that off, so maybe I'll just wait and see how conditions are then.....

Same here Geof.  Beggars cant be chooser though?  I have widefield on Simeis 147 and the TEC on M76.  Plus got the dob out.  All OK despite the horizon murk.  Get out there and stop making excuses ;) 

• Haha 1

Humidity feels sky high this evening, can see my breath as a thick fog, though the air appears to be clear and teh subs still look OK. May need the hair dryer in addition to the dew heaters.

• Like 1

I've already had one little blast with the dryer.  It isn't too humid here at the moment.  However, it seems to change very suddenly at times.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Same here Geof.  Beggars cant be chooser though?  I have widefield on Simeis 147 and the TEC on M76.  Plus got the dob out.  All OK despite the horizon murk.  Get out there and stop making excuses ;) 

Yeah, I guess after 20+ hours imaging the last 3 nights I've suddenly become very blasé......, so thanks for the kick 😏. Glad you're out there tough Steve, as you deserve some luck with the skies.....:thumbright:

• Like 1

Damn. Going to have to redo the green subs, damn stupid Maxim defaults to 0.000 Dec exposures, and I missed it when I was setting the sequence. All the others are 300 sec.

• Sad 3

Imaging continuing on Flaming Star and Tadpoles and still looking good.  Nearly an hour and a half so far.

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Damn. Going to have to redo the green subs, damn stupid Maxim defaults to 0.000 Dec exposures, and I missed it when I was setting the sequence. All the others are 300 sec.

It seems that there's always something to try your patience with this hobby......😫

• Like 2

Yes indeed.  I lost an hour sorting my mount out earlier.

• Sad 2

Just been out and turned the hearers up and given it a blast with the hair dryer.

• Like 1

Quick question for KStars users - how do you do a meridian flip?  I set up to do a meridian flip[ in the Ekos Mount window and it counted down and then said "Meridian flip waiting" so I stopped imaging expecting the mount to move round to the other side but nothing happened except the "Waiting" notice had disappeared.

After the kick up the rear from Steve @kirkster501 I’m now back out imaging M82, which I discovered actually now clears my neighbour’s trees soon after 9pm. Going to get some more Ha and perhaps some more L. It won’t be a late one for me tonight as we’re out visiting my cousin in North Norfolk tomorrow for a Burns night dinner at his club.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gina said:

Quick question for KStars users - how do you do a meridian flip?  I set up to do a meridian flip[ in the Ekos Mount window and it counted down and then said "Meridian flip waiting" so I stopped imaging expecting the mount to move round to the other side but nothing happened except the "Waiting" notice had disappeared.

It will do the flip automatically, though I haven't get managed to get it to do so.  My intention is to set it up during the day and test it so I can work out how to make it happen properly.

For the moment, at the point the mount needs to flip I just pause the imaging run and get Kstars to move the mount to the same object (moving away first if necessary).

James

• Thanks 1

I tried moving it a bit but nothing happened.  I'll try moving it further.  Thanks.

After a perfectly gorgeous afternoon during which I got 90 youngs to look at the sun through my societies Lunt solar scope (I got the solar stand and stood in the nice warm sun all afternoon) I was expecting an evening of trying to bag PANSTAARS 2017 T2 (or whatever the one doing the flyby of the double cluster later in the week is called). Got all my warm kit on and went out to deploy the mount, only to be met by total overcast.

• Sad 2

Hmmm...   Maybe it needs to be further past the meridian.  I slewed to well outside the frame and it moved right round to the other side but when I slewed bak to the centre of the frame it went right round back to where it was.

Not great transparency tonight, but with cloud forecast for the next week I set up to image the Double Cluster and Comet PanSTARRS C/2017 T2 with a 80mm refractor.

The subs look ok, but I'm leaving it at that - due to conditions and because it's a work night. Good luck to all those still 'playing'!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1