Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

This is a quick HaRGB stack of M33

Looking very good Dave, I like the scale of this FOV and look forward to seeing the finished image.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

This is a quick HaRGB stack of M33. It badly needs Flats but I think a general L flat will do as the dark spots look to be on the camera. After I've done the flats for this set of subs I'll give the camera another cleaning. 2 Hour HII in 10 min subs, 1 hour each RGB in 5 min subs, Sigma Add stacking with Darks. HII added to Red, Trichomy then DDP and Histo stretch.

1537002120_FirstHRGB.thumb.jpg.070b79895e32da1d2c5bd4b68097ab5d.jpg

Still a lot of work to do, need new Luminance and RGB. Oh, and a flip in both axes, dur... NGC 604 should be top left.

I really like what you've done with the Ha there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Looking very good Dave, I like the scale of this FOV and look forward to seeing the finished image.

Thanks Geof. I was in two minds about the FoV, thinking it might be too wide, but it actually looks quite reasonable. A test plate-solve beforehand gave 1.13"pp which is quite a doable scale without running into oversampling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, don4l said:

I really like what you've done with the Ha there. 

Thanks. TBH, all I did was to add the Ha stack to the Red stack in AstroArt 7 before combining the RGB into a colour image. I *may* try adding 20% of the Ha into the Blue stack to simulate the H-beta line, but I'll have to get to grips with the pixel-math in AstroArt 7

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thanks Geof. I was in two minds about the FoV, thinking it might be too wide, but it actually looks quite reasonable. A test plate-solve beforehand gave 1.13"pp which is quite a doable scale without running into oversampling.

It's not as wide FOV as mine from a few years ago using my 4" TSAPO100Q...

https://www.astrobin.com/full/272697/0/

Seeing your version, I'll have to think about adding some Ha.

• Like 2

I like the wide (or wide-ish) FoV - don't like things cropped too much.

• Like 1

Having just seen your version Geof, I'd have to say it's pretty damn good! M33 has enough bright HII regions to make adding H-alpha really worthwhile.

Edited by DaveS
  • Thanks 1

Now taking darks to match lights taken in the last few nights - g300 180s.  Saving to a hard drive rather than SSD using /media from root.  Where there's plenty of space and the darks will only be accessed by PI once so can stay where they are saved.  Though, in facts, the darks aren't really wanted at all after making a Master Dark.

Edited by Gina

15 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thanks. TBH, all I did was to add the Ha stack to the Red stack in AstroArt 7 before combining the RGB into a colour image. I *may* try adding 20% of the Ha into the Blue stack to simulate the H-beta line, but I'll have to get to grips with the pixel-math in AstroArt 7

You've collected more Ha than I would have, but it was clearly worth it.

I'll have to give it a try. 

• Like 1

Had to rig this up out of blackout material and tile battens to shield us from neighbours security light.

Dave

Light-shield.png.1eadcc733462d56c5f382a8794d1fc9e.png

It worked really well, the security light would have been a huge problem without.  

Having stayed up until 5.30 am and then did flats, packed and came home for Hubby's birthday drinkies I went to bed for a couple of hours this afternoon.  Still half of the car to unpack, but won't be imaging tonight as a) we are out, and b) Will take too long to re-set it all up in any case.

Great few nights and a great idea Dave - thanks.  Bortle 6 instead of my home Bortle 8 and no tree in the way of Orion.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 5

Taken some Flats and Dark Flats, though it may be tomorrow before I process them. Still looking clear, I hope to get another 4 hours LRGB on M33. Maybe. Perhaps. Fingers crossed. Don't know what I'll do after that, probably turn in as I have to be up, showered, dressed and mobile when the crew turn up at 8.30. Breakfast is optional.

• Like 1

Well, I have things that need doing tonight, not least of which is some work that I put off from last night because it was going to be clear and tonight wasn't.  Only tonight looks like it will be clear after all, so I'm going to have to work out how to fit it all in.  Off out to the observatory to crank the starting handle now.

James

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Taken some Flats and Dark Flats, though it may be tomorrow before I process them. Still looking clear, I hope to get another 4 hours LRGB on M33. Maybe. Perhaps. Fingers crossed. Don't know what I'll do after that, probably turn in as I have to be up, showered, dressed and mobile when the crew turn up at 8.30. Breakfast is optional.

8:30 is luxury.  Our builders turn up at the crack of 8am, sometimes earlier.  I am so looking forward to not having the sound of power tools as an alarm clock.

James

• Haha 1

Unless I want ro leave the gate unlocked all night I will have to be sufficiently mobile to go out and unlock it for them.

Still capturing darks but will stop in a minute and uncover the lens and set up for imaging as it's clear ATM.  Planning OIII imaging of the Flaming Star and Tadpoles and it it stays clear I'll take more OIII Heart and Soul.  The latter don't set behind anything so can go on until dawn or clouds.

Chilly very early out there this evening.  The forecast is for 0C by 7pm and we're usually a couple of degrees below the forecast because of exactly where we are.  It's actually only fractionally above freezing already.

James

Agree with the chilly. I had two pulovers and a down jacket and was still cold when sitting at the outside computer. A bit of exercise helps. Will dig out my warm socks.

If setting up for imaging was an Olympic sport, I reckon that I'd win a gold medal.

25 mminutes after getting home, this "R" image is in!  Just a month ago I was very pleased with 38 minutes.

I'm going to go for 10 Ha subs when thescope has cooled down a bit. In the meantime I'll see if I can get some decent binned colour.  Most of what I've already got is full of gradients, but it might be OK tonight.

m31_Red_120s_001.jpg

Edited by don4l
  • Like 4

For those of you that kept me company over the past few nights, I've just posted my image of the Hidden Galaxy IC342

Not sure what to do tonight as I've just popped out to see unexpected clear skies, though the sky looks very milky, so I think the promised fog may be developing. I hate to waste a clear sky, but I'm going to leave it while longer before making a decision.

• Like 2

I also have things up and running, but I do at least have the advantage of only having to roll off the roof of the observatory, take off the lens covers and fire up the software.  Most time is taken up putting on warm clothes and walking to the observatory :)

James

• Like 1

Was all set up and running ... managed 3 subs of IC443 before the usual blanket of clouds rolled in covering what has been a cloudless sky all day. 

• Sad 4

Well, I've just started a 4 hour LRGB run on M33. If all goes well I should be finished around 11 o/c allowing for time to download and dither the mount.

• Like 3

Just started some more Tadpoles, BBC TV weather forecast cloud later so we'll see how far we get.

Dave

• Like 2

Up and running too.  Taking OIII subs of the Flaming Star and Tadpoles.  g300 180s.

FS_Light_OIII_180_secs_2020-01-21T18-31-32_001.png.17e81535db990a9a96776a0fc5dcde3d.png

• Like 2

Bigger FOV than me Gina can only get Tadpoles 😁

Dave

• Like 1