Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Still going on M82 here and hoping for another couple of hours yet, so will be another sleep in tomorrow morning 😴💤

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I think there was fog in the forecast for the early hours, so perhaps it's just a little early.

James

Foggy here now but only about 10ft thick... I need a taller tripod!! I also need some sleep so its pack up time..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can't remember the last time we had 4 consecutive nights when you could image with no, or virtually no Moon.

OK, there has been some cloud, but managed to image every night even if it was only for 3 - 4 hours.

Carole

• Like 3

Maxim packed in guiding used PHD2 all went well on the "other side" of the meridian from normal, then I fliped to the normal side and PDH2 started overcorrecting.

Now on PHD1 and after prodding and pokeing guiding "seems" to have settled after turning off auto and just guiding in north.

My man flu is coming along nicely thank you.

• Like 1

Just started my last 10min sub for tonight. What a stretch of 4 nights it's been. I had 5 hours visual observing on Friday, without any imaging, but the next 3 nights made up for that. 10 hours data captured on Saturday/Sunday, 2 hours yesterday and another 9+ hours tonight. I'd still like more data for M82, but I'd need to flip very soon as I've already tracked 90 mins past the meridian, so I'm going to call it a wrap. By the time I've warmed up the camera, shut down the obs and hit the sack it's going to be close to 4am....

• Like 2

I'm still up, also not far off the Meridian and I too think I might call it a night then. 

Carole   

• Like 2

Fog stopped play.

Packed up but might just have to watch the Tom and Jerry compilation that has poppe dup on my You Tube.

• Like 2

Just totted up my hours for last 4 nights, but I think we had a bit more cloud than Norfolk and it comes to almost 15 hours but over several targets due to them disappearing behind the house. 

Carole 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

Just totted up my hours for last 4 nights, but I think we had a bit more cloud than Norfolk and it comes to almost 15 hours but over several targets due to them disappearing behind the house. 

Carole 

It's great to get some serious imaging done again Carole isn't it. I've just closed down the obs and the sky still looks really good, so maybe I've missed a trick and should have pushed on a couple more hours. Leo is high in the south with Virgo following on behind. I know that you're not a fan of galaxy season, but there are a bunch of Messier galaxies that I need for my list and I could have made a start on one of those.... Oh well, sleep beckons  and it's been a good session :thumbright:.

Goodnight everyone 😴💤🛌

• Like 2

Still chugging along, I think I can get one more sub in before the EFW gets too close to the mount.  will call it a night then.  Probably nearer 15 1/2 hours now.

Carole  

• Like 2

Stunned to find it's still clear. Forecast here was only for about 2 or 3 hours clear last night just after dark, been gathering data for over 10 hours now and still going strong. 

• Like 2

Just checked the 100 subs collected since I went to bed.  Mostly poor but did get several decent ones before the run ended.  Just had a quick look in Blink so far - will check more carefully later and dump the poor ones.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, geoflewis said:

1.5 hours in and guiding going great.....

225781343_PHD2guiding200120.JPG.48be140d139824d0ed06c38f4f16cb42.JPG

Subs are also looking pretty good...

1524887266_SGPscreenshotIC342200120.JPG.409cdfe388178bed97a4c21d8dde7706.JPG

yes its rewarding when everything gels...

Roger

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure that it's been clear all night with no cloud at all. It was crystal clear when I went to bed last night even though cloud was forecast from 12am onwards. Clear sky this morning.

• Like 1

Virtually cloudless sky this morning with just a few old vapour trails, contradicting the weather forecasts which say totally overcast - 100% cloud.  Go figure!  Whether it will last until tonight is anuyone's guess.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

Virtually cloudless sky this morning with just a few old vapour trails, contradicting the weather forecasts which say totally overcast - 100% cloud.  Go figure!  Whether it will last until tonight is anuyone's guess.

Let's hope it lasts all week :D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JamesF said:

Or you could slew to a nearby bright star and refocus using the mask, then slew back.  I'm not sure I'd favour that approach though.

Afraid I always do this 🙂

• Like 1

Oh, I'm happy enough that it would work.  It's just a bit more of a faff getting the framing right again afterwards.

James

56 minutes ago, Gina said:

I have to say that it feels similar here.  The forecast says "cloudy" but it looks lovely at the moment.

Of course, as always, I am just one more good evening away from my first APOD.

• Haha 3

This is a quick HaRGB stack of M33. It badly needs Flats but I think a general L flat will do as the dark spots look to be on the camera. After I've done the flats for this set of subs I'll give the camera another cleaning. 2 Hour HII in 10 min subs, 1 hour each RGB in 5 min subs, Sigma Add stacking with Darks. HII added to Red, Trichomy then DDP and Histo stretch.

1537002120_FirstHRGB.thumb.jpg.070b79895e32da1d2c5bd4b68097ab5d.jpg

Still a lot of work to do, need new Luminance and RGB. Oh, and a flip in both axes, dur... NGC 604 should be top left.

• Like 8

Looking good for another clear night here be all alone though as Carole has gone home.

Had to rig this up out of blackout material and tile battens to shield us from neighbours security light.

Dave

Light-shield.png.1eadcc733462d56c5f382a8794d1fc9e.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looking good for another clear night here be all alone though as Carole has gone home.

Had to rig this up out of blackout material and tile battens to shield us from neighbours security light.

Dave

You need to make it look more like a proper product.  Get "ACME Security Light Intrusion Curtain" stencilled multiple times across the side facing the neighbour :D

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

59 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

How about also rigging up a mirror so it reflects it back at their bedroom window :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5