Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

If you can, get an autofocuser. Great gadget. NINA for example takes an image and then racks the focuser out by a bit and then works back in in small increments and measures all the stars in your image. You get a v curve as you get to focus and as you move past focus. It then calculates the best position of the focuser. You dont need to slew to a bright star. It works on the stars where you are already pointing.

2020-01-20 23.31.21.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

Sorry I should have mentioned as some-one else has said above, if you have an electronic focusser and the right software it will do it automatically for you - apparently -  I've never used one.   There is also a method with some software of choosing a small star and measuring it's Full Width Half Maximum FWHM, but I have never managed to get that to work from home, I think you need steady skies.

Carole 

CCDCiel has loads of features in this area.  I suspect that NINA, Ekos, and APT also have similar tools.

Click on a star and you will be shown it FWHM, HFD and peak values.  Or you can analyse a whole frame for the average HFD (I use this a lot).

Images can be automatically analysed after each download.

An autofocus run can be automatically performed every so often, or upon a temperature change.

All this is why Ascom and Indi are becoming so important.  I used to only use them for mount control, but they really have become essential for the whole process.

• Like 2

Blimey. What a fantastic hobby this is :)

• Like 1

Yes, KStars/Ekos does that too.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention the clouds cleared after about half an hour and since I already had a fair amount of data for the cone, and was due to do a flip have changed targets,

Carole 

• Like 2

I definitely need to get into ASCOM and burn my ST4 cable. Would be great using planetarium software to control my mount. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveS said:

OK, that's it turning in early. Sad to be passing up a rare clear night but my back just said it's had enough.

'nitght and clear skies all.

Good night Dave

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smr said:

I definitely need to get into ASCOM and burn my ST4 cable. Would be great using planetarium software to control my mount. 

It certainly is.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, smr said:

Does your mount have an RJ45 socket?  If so, then it should work.  My EQ6 has a 15 way D-Type, so I have a Shoestring adapter and a USB-Serial cable.

Getting connected the first time was an almighty pain in the neck - be warned!

However, once you get connected you will never want to use the handset again.

• Like 2

EQDIR cable is what you need but ask FLO which one is appropriate for your mount.

Carole 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, don4l said:

Does your mount have an RJ45 socket?  If so, then it should work.  My EQ6 has a 15 way D-Type, so I have a Shoestring adapter and a USB-Serial cable.

Getting connected the first time was an almighty pain in the neck - be warned!

However, once you get connected you will never want to use the handset again.

My mount is an HEQ5 Pro, the more recent model with the green trim, not sure if it's an RJ45 socket.

35 minutes ago, smr said:

The description says it's for the HEQ5 Pro, which is what you have, so I think you can be fairly sure it's the right one.  My HEQ5 Pro certainly has an RJ45 connector.

James

• Like 1

Right! I think that's me lot. The cloud has arrived; late, but a comprehensive blanket. Running some darks whilst  I wait to see if it passes over, but it looks solid.

An unexpectedly good session. More imaging time than I had expected, and a chance to try out NINA. A profitable evening!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm losing my guide stars a fair bit now.  I think it's probably getting towards time to call it a night.

James

Still no clouds here but thick, thick fog. Halos through the evening imaging M82:

1414269230_2020-01-2100_33_50-Window.thumb.png.0185a13798cc45e9a2d834cfcc9d5417.png

Still, data might be usable. We'll see. Just set it and let it run all night and everything behaved for once, though INDI/KStars keeps insisting I recalibrate my focuser - the Sesto Senso thinks it's set to its max focus position after startup. Definitely something odd going on in software there.

Off to sleep for now anyway. School night and all that. Grr.

Edited by discardedastro
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Yes, I'm losing my guide stars a fair bit now.  I think it's probably getting towards time to call it a night.

James

Clear here... a sizable fog bank is over the other side of the M5/ Cullompton which I'm guessing will be here soon enough. Not as good conditions as last night but two nights in a row :) :) 

• Like 1

The last half dozen subs have been rather poor but have just over 3 hours of good ones so not bad.  I'll leave the rig running for the rest of the night though in case the sky clears again even if unlikely tonight but who knows.

That's it, I'm off to bed.  Goodnight all and good luck to anyone carrying on.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, James said:

Clear here... a sizable fog bank is over the other side of the M5/ Cullompton which I'm guessing will be here soon enough. Not as good conditions as last night but two nights in a row :) :) 

I think there was fog in the forecast for the early hours, so perhaps it's just a little early.

James

• Like 1

Just wrapped up, ready for bed now. Good luck to anyone still going. Night all.

• Like 1

My target disappeared behind the house, this is the fruits of being unfamiliar with this location, Lol.,

No more nebulae left to image all that are left are behind the house or shortly to go behind it, so changed cameras and scopes (had them already mounted piggy back but the cables weren't attached.  Refocussed messed about a bit as the 2nd EFW didn't want to connect to the software, and am now on M106.  Reconnected Teamviewer which disconnected itself, and hopefully I am away again. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

All packed away now.

Plenty of processing to do for the next few nights, unless the forecast improves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, don4l said:

All packed away now.

Plenty of processing to do for the next few nights, unless the forecast improves.

After the last few nights it'll probably be April before we see another clear sky...

James

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

After the last few nights it'll probably be April before we see another clear sky...

James

🤣

I did think something similar, but I thought it better to keep quiet.

Goodnight everyone, and thanks for the company.

• Haha 4

Still going on the Tadpoles here.

Dave

• Like 1