Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Grr. Beautiful night here and wasted 2 hours with stuff just not working. Intermittent filter wheel disconnection, not being able to find focus, software crashes etc. 

Finally set the sequence going - trying to grab at least 90 mins on M42 - be a good test off how far I’ve come in a year. 

At least I’m inside in the warm now whilst it does its thing...

Glad you've managed to sort it all out, I've had evenings like that.

Carole

• Like 1

I guess we all have.  I certainly have!!

• Like 1

Yep, been there, done that, got the straight jacket.

• Haha 3

20mins processing on 12mins of light subs only. compared to my last attempt I'm pretty impressed.

M42.png

• Like 2

I think my images are suffering from thin cloud now!  I'll leave it running and see if the sky clears.

• Like 1

@carastro @Gina yep I guess. Just have to ride it out. 

When I stop and think about it tonight is only my 6th or 7th imaging session. I just get frustrated when it doesn’t work because I know I can get everything set up so much better. 

My results have been disappointing as well but only because I know what can be achieved. I’ll admit I didn’t realise just how difficult imaging is until I tried started. 

I am trying to make use of the clear nights more though whereas earlier in the year illness stopped me from doing much. 

• Like 2

Glad you're better now. 

I could probably be called a veteran but I still get the odd evening like that!!

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

Glad you're better now. 

I could probably be called a veteran but I still get the odd evening like that!!

Nothing a bit of major surgery couldn’t fix :).

I do need to sort my filter wheel though. If that connected and stayed connected first time every time that would be a good chunk of time saved. 

• Like 1

Blimey!  Sounds like something just became dinner in a nearby field.  There was a huge racket just now.

Anyhow, I discovered that guiding wasn't very happy even when I moved away from the cloudy bit of sky.  A quick investigation revealed that it was because the guidescope had dewed up.  Swapping the heaters over on that rig suggests that perhaps that socket isn't properly connected inside or has come loose.  It's a pig of a plug to get in place as it's right in the corner of the case.  Perhaps this stuff will get a bit easier when I get my new glasses in a week or so.  I've swapped the heater to a different channel and it's now working fine so I've gone back to M42, which is now clear of the cloud.

James

• Sad 1

hmm I'm not sure about the sky tonight, it's clear, but it looks like there's a bit of moisture in the air. Currently imaging the HH & Flame with my unmodded DSLR. Hopefully buying a dedicated astro camera soon as I feel like a one legged man in a bum kicking competition when imaging targets like these.

Edited by smr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah - dew heater - maybe that's my trouble!!  Just checked and it wasn't switched on.  Switched on now so we'll see if the image improves - DOH!!

Thanks James 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sky may not be as bad as I thought, at least not much worse than the last couple of nights. M44 clear naked eye despite being low to the east, and I *think* I managed to glimpse NGC 752 naked eye again which Stellarium recons to be mag 5.86 due to air mass. M33 just beyond naked eye for me, though clear-ish in bins. there is a slight mottling in the sky which may be due to very thin, high, cloud. Subs are still looking good, so debating whether to try and get some Luminance data.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gina said:

Ah - dew heater - maybe that's my trouble!!  Just checked and it wasn't switched on.  Switched on now so we'll see if the image improves - DOH!!

Thanks James 🤣

Oh dear :D  At least you remembered now, Gina.  The night need not be entirely wasted.

James

• Like 2

I got about 20 subs (an hour) before the image weakened.  Whether it was misting up or the sky I don't know yet - the subs are still poor with just the brighter stars showing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Sky may not be as bad as I thought, at least not much worse than the last couple of nights. M44 clear naked eye despite being low to the east, and I *think* I managed to glimpse NGC 752 naked eye again which Stellarium recons to be mag 5.86 due to air mass. M33 just beyond naked eye for me, though clear-ish in bins. there is a slight mottling in the sky which may be due to very thin, high, cloud. Subs are still looking good, so debating whether to try and get some Luminance data.

I'm not convinced it's as good as last night.  Or at least, there are patches when it looks as good as last night, but intermittent cloud too.

Given that we have a light northerly breeze at the moment, I'm not keen on the look of the cloud massing on the north east horizon.  Perhaps it will slide by, but I'll be happy if I make it until midnight.

James

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

I got about 20 subs (an hour) before the image weakened.  Whether it was misting up or the sky I don't know yet - the subs are still poor with just the brighter stars showing.

Might take a while for the lens to clear, I guess.  I blew some warm air over mine to clear it.

James

• Like 1

Shooting Monkey Head. Just hitting my tree now though, got 44 x 180sec lights in duo band, fingers crossed it stacks ok. 

• Like 2

Yes, it could take a while to clear.  The last sub just captured is a smidgen better so maybe it's clearing.

• Like 1

I'm home now after a decent little session under bortle 4 skies. Very cold and my laptop battery almost died. 

Thinking about getting my scope and neq6 out now. After dinner of course 

• Like 2

There is a bank of clouds in the East/South East slowly creeping sideways and slightly upwards.  was below Sirius but now Sirius is behind the clouds.  

Carole and Dave

• Sad 1

Well I nearly buggered that right up and glad I went and checked. Mount was at limits so had to perform my first meridian flip. That’s quite a dance the mount performs!

Just about got to it in time and think I can finish off the blue channel before Orion gets lost behind the houses. 

Will have to keep an eye on that going forward!

• Like 2

Just completed my sequence on IC342, so reopened my M82 sequence and now capturing LRGB on that - all done from my sofa in front of the TV and a very toasty log burner. It's the first time I've dared to just let everything run without me babysitting it from within the observatory. That is, stop PHD2, slew to new target, centre target using plate solving, autofocus new filter and restart PHD2. I love it when a plan comes together - but then I've had the obs nearly 3.5 years, so I guess it was about time......

• Like 3

It is a challenging evening here too!

Set up after 8 😞, now frozen. To0ok an hour because altough Sharpcap PA worked straight away (for once) PHD2 couldn't find the mount (had to disconnect and reconnect EQMOD, which meant I lost my sync points) then PHD2 kept losing the guide camera.

Touch wood all working now, got at least 8 OIII subs on rosette, hopefully more...

One bit of good news. My ZWO L and OIII filters are parfocal the Ha seems to be as well!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm not convinced it's as good as last night.  Or at least, there are patches when it looks as good as last night, but intermittent cloud too.

Given that we have a light northerly breeze at the moment, I'm not keen on the look of the cloud massing on the north east horizon.  Perhaps it will slide by, but I'll be happy if I make it until midnight.

James

Last night was definitely better, but tonight isn't as bad as I first feared, at least here in the Bride Valley. Getting an hour of Luminance on M33 in 5 min subs before it gets too low in the west. Even if the night isn't quite sparkling it's still a joy to be out under a reasonably dark sky.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Even if the night isn't quite sparkling it's still a joy to be out under a reasonably dark sky.

Indeed so, Dave.  To get a few nights on the trot (or even in relatively quick succession) is amazing given how bad it has been for so long.

James

• Like 1