Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Clear here.  Having a go at the Plaeidies.  I've never managed them before because of light pollution.  However, I think that the new LED lights are producing a different kind of LP, and I've learned an awful lot about the Gimp.  So, let's see what happens.

• Like 1

OK, we're off. Doing 3 hours RGB on M33 in 300 sec subs. Having to do this the hard way, setting up a sequence in Maxim after a manual synch and just letting Sequence do the MLPT. Will keep an eye via RDP.

• Like 2

Beautifully clear here, an hour or so on M42/43 until it disappears behind the trees, then switch over to M31 for a couple hours then back to Orion until I think I have enough. Have had some issues, the center post of my tripod which the tracker is mounted on likes to spin as I try to move the camera so I keep having to redo my alignment, need to find a way to stop it moving permanently I think.

• Like 1

Comparatively clear here this evening, but seeing is fairly bad lots of the high wispy stuff so not going to bother. Feel like an early night after Saturday's epic.

So good luck to all of those with better skies than here.

• Like 1

I'm 3x10min subs into L on IC342. I've already got ~2.5 hours each RGB and 3 hour L, so hoping to push the L up to around 6 hours, then I'll process it and see how it turns out. After IC342 I'll move over to M82 again, if it remains clear....

I can see why NINA gets so many good reviews. I've set it to capture 50 x 180s on M45 by which time that's done around 9pm, it should automatically switch back over to Orion, Horse and Flame and gather me another few hours on that. On the drive home this evening through Barr Beacon in Walsall, there was a lovely orange glow to the west after sunset which meant we should have a nice clear night tonight! Make the best of it folks, as it'll be the best one we've had for months!

Screenshot_20200120-184335_VNC Viewer.jpg

• Like 1

I took an early finish from work, car still packed from the weekend so didn't need to worry about anything. Sat at my dark site just started a run on orion. I've upped the exposures to 60 seconds due to the slow laptop taking forever to download the images. Hoping this will give me more integration time in the end. 

• Like 1

Image on camera then pow, cloud.  Looks like it’s going to be on off, so I decided off.  Looks bleak for the next week or so.

• Sad 1

Imaging the Heart and Soul in OIII.  Same settings as Ha - gain 300, exposure 180s.

2147067534_Heartg300_Light_OIII_180_secs_2020-01-20T19-11-37_002.png.4f3ffebcca2c011d7d9bdb8ede6283ea.png

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing the stacked and combined result Gina.

Well Dave and I are outside again - 4 nights on the trot though last night ended early due to the cloud and my target disappeared behind the houses 2 nights ago.

Am doing my 2nd night on the Cone, I managed to get nearly 3 hours (all filters last night). 

Not sure what Dave is doing but I heard a bit of mumbling and groaning going on a while ago.  Lol

Carole  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I'll leave Orion for the Esprit scope and treat M42 and the Flame/HH as separate targets.  Makes more sense really though the whole Sword was fun.

• Like 1

I've just looked at a quick stack of 10 subs and the data is looking good. Alot cleaner then imaging from my back garden 

• Like 2

1.5 hours in and guiding going great.....

225781343_PHD2guiding200120.JPG.48be140d139824d0ed06c38f4f16cb42.JPG

Subs are also looking pretty good...

1524887266_SGPscreenshotIC342200120.JPG.409cdfe388178bed97a4c21d8dde7706.JPG

• Like 5

Does anyone know how to get rid of backlash on a star adventurer? About 1 in 4 subs have slight trailing. I'm already balanced easy heavy 

I had a look outside, and although it's clear I'm not sure about the transparency, but I may not have been properly dark-adapted. The subs are still looking good, with M33 centered on the crosshairs, despite having to do a manual synch. One advantage of a 120 point sky model.

• Like 1

Looks like there's a fair bit of cloud about here now, though the forecast says none.  It's enough to be making a mess of my M42 data where the guiding has fallen apart.

James

Heart and Soul OIII subs are going fine - now have 15 x 3m = 45m.

1346874986_Heartg300_Light_OIII_180_secs_2020-01-20T19-52-44_015.png.1704fb29b98b6bfba7da480695bdb41e.png

Orion is in thin cloud here.

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

Orion is in thin cloud here.

Yes, given up on it for the time being.  Moved over to M33.  Managed four trails in my first 120s test sub!

James

• Like 1

Did as quick process of last nights Ha and am pretty pleased with it, though the corner stars are leaving a lot to be desired, not quite sure what is going on there as same kit as M42 and don't recall seeing that problem there (unless I missed it).  

This is just levels x 2.  

Cone Swanley 11 x 600 Ha Sunday.png

• Like 5

Damn. I knew I'd forgotten something, didn't set dithering, and I've already seen at least two satalite trails.

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Damn. I knew I'd forgotten something, didn't set dithering, and I've already seen at least two satalite trails.

You can probably get rid of them using sigma stacking, Dave.

James

• Like 1

Oh yes, and I should have enough of them. Just annoyed with myself for forgetting. May have to do a hot pixel removal.

Grr. Beautiful night here and wasted 2 hours with stuff just not working. Intermittent filter wheel disconnection, not being able to find focus, software crashes etc. 

Finally set the sequence going - trying to grab at least 90 mins on M42 - be a good test off how far I’ve come in a year. 

At least I’m inside in the warm now whilst it does its thing...

• Like 3