Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

The gods don't want me to image Orion tonight it seems!!!  Moved back to Heart and Soul and it's gone there fine.

36 minutes ago, carastro said:

I presume this was taken at your dark location BEFORE you move to a LP location.

Thanks Carole.  No, after viewing a few places we have decided to settle in where we are at.  I think we just got itchy feet, 10 years in the same place, but we have come to the conclusion that it is ok, and also my wife accepts that astroimaging is a big part of my life.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Novice stuff here but a major triumph for me!. Yesterday in central Cardiff I managed to find the Orion Nebula using 16x70 bino fairly easily from my loft. Tonight I thought I'd try the same with C90 Mak with puny finder and alt. az. mount. Tracking up and down and left to right for half an hour and no luck so I aimed the scope body by hand where I thought it might be, looked in the eyepiece and bingo there it is. Not much detail but a pleasing phosphorescent glow which showed decent shape which I've viewing for an hour or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK  Sobeit - I'll try Orion tomorrow night if it's clear!  Imaging the Heart and Soul.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartinHiggins said:

Novice stuff here but a major triumph for me!. Yesterday in central Cardiff I managed to find the Orion Nebula using 16x70 bino fairly easily from my loft. Tonight I thought I'd try the same with C90 Mak with puny finder and alt. az. mount. Tracking up and down and left to right for half an hour and no luck so I aimed the scope body by hand where I thought it might be, looked in the eyepiece and bingo there it is. Not much detail but a pleasing phosphorescent glow which showed decent shape which I've viewing for an hour or so.

I imagine with something like a C90 it's possible to be pointing straight at M42 and not realise because the field of view is comparatively narrow.  Good you found it in the end though.

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

I can't think of a more frustrating activity to partake in

I feel your frustration too..We had almost 48 hours of cloudless clear blue skies here in Lincolnshire, first for ages, but we had our 40th anniversary planned with our children at an hotel in Lincoln last night, so of course that meant no observing (and rightly so!). Had a wonderful time with the family..

Got home today at lunchtime, had a lovely walk with my wife late afternoon til dusk, still glorious clear skies. 

Went to uncover and thermally equalise the Tak FS128 at 5pm, got eyepieces out too and went in to make a target list based on Orion and Auriga..Orion was just rising nicely!

Popped out again at 6pm to get the scope polar aligned...wait a minute- NO STARS! Not One!!

It's been like that ever since, and just checked again at half 8 and no change. I genuinely can't believe it and am so disappointed.

I hope some of you are getting the clear skies I should have been lapping up!😱😁😁

Dave

• Sad 2

Guiding was a mare to start..first trying to image too close to the gas vent and wind wrong direction, so guidingwasnt happy..  So thought image the Flame...don't have FOV to do much around this area...again guiding was all over the place.   So decided to do a realignment and correct polar error...great guiding like butter...then 3 subs in the cloud shows up.....time to raise the white flag.

• Sad 1

High clouds are slowly moving in here in East Devon, maybe another half hour or so... pity, it's the first time I've gotten out in months!!! Crossed fingers for tomorrow night, although late nights on a school night are never a good idea!

James

• Like 1

I can see high (Bright) clouds to the north, and to the west over Bridport way. Nearly done with M33, wondering now about Horse and Flame. Without Sequence running I can't do an auto meridian flip, so may wait for it to cross the meridian. Not sure what to do for imaging, maybe another 2 hours HII, which at least won't need a refocus.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Carole.  No, after viewing a few places we have decided to settle in where we are at.  I think we just got itchy feet, 10 years in the same place, but we have come to the conclusion that it is ok, and also my wife accepts that astroimaging is a big part of my life.

Oh thank heavens for that. Having done the reverse and moved from SQI 18.25 to 21.66 the thought of having to move back to Bortle 8 is horrible.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, James said:

High clouds are slowly moving in here in East Devon

Oi!  Look, you keep them down there, ok?  Nobody wants them up in my neck of the woods.

James

• Haha 1

Hmmm...  seems it was me!  Been playing with the time in KStars to see when things would appear and disappear.  It was an hour out.  H&S worked because I used plate solving to get the object.

• Like 1

Just now, JamesF said:

Oi!  Look, you keep them down there, ok?  Nobody wants them up in my neck of the woods.

James

Trouble is, it looks like they're coming from your direction! :)

How there seems to be cloud to the east.

Taking it relatively easy tonight - by not setting up the 12" Newtonian and not staying out in the cold quite so much 😄. I have an early start for work tomorrow anyway.

What I am doing is some widefield imaging, with lenses piggybacked on my ancient C8 'scope for tracking. Already have an hour's worth on Orion's Belt and Sword at 135mm; now capturing the Jellyfish (IC 443) and Monkeyhead (NGC 2174) with a 300mm lens (hoping for an hour's worth there too, though the roof eaves may well intervene).

Good luck and clear skies, all! Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, James said:

Trouble is, it looks like they're coming from your direction! :)

There's been none here, honest!

James

• Like 1

Just now, JamesF said:

James

Too late, we've had them for a while. I managed 2x20min O3 subs of the Fishhead nebula that took well over an hour with Sgpro! I started at 7.15. 

At least I seem to have nailed autofocus. Two nights running. I might try it at the start of a sequence as I'm usually focused enough for platesolving.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

There's much to be said for staying put, I reckon.  We've been where we are now for fifteen years.  Probably twice as long as I've lived anywhere else in the last fifty-mumble years.  It doesn't seem anywhere near that long, either.

James

• Like 1

Just come back inside. I am so cold I literally have hand shakes. Managed 40x1min subs of M31. Completely clear but freezing and gusty NE winds.

So cold the camera battery died just after the last sub, but it meant no darks. Chucked in an ep and ticked M36 and M38 off the lMessier list. I will probably get loads of abuse but I find a lot of the open clusters underwhelming, am I wrong?

Marvin.

• Like 2

I managed some decent imaging runs on Venus into dusk, then Uranus during darkness. I could see the cloud approaching though, packed just before it completely clouded over!

• Like 2

Just now, Pete Presland said:

I managed some decent imaging runs on Venus into dusk, then Uranus during darkness. I could see the cloud approaching though, packed just before it completely clouded over!

Venus was amazing very low on my horizon. For some reason didn’t think about looking at it through the scope. I guess a lot of us have a plan and stick to it.

M

• Like 2

All clouded over, here. Venus manage to

shine through at approx 30 degrees

Edited by Frank the Troll

1 minute ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Venus was amazing very low on my horizon. For some reason didn’t think about looking at it through the scope. I guess a lot of us have a plan and stick to it.

M

For sure, i planned Venus and Uranus imaging, then some observation. The clouds soon altered that plan 🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Just come back inside. I am so cold I literally have hand shakes. Managed 40x1min subs of M31. Completely clear but freezing and gusty NE winds.

So cold the camera battery died just after the last sub, but it meant no darks. Chucked in an ep and ticked M36 and M38 off the lMessier list. I will probably get loads of abuse but I find a lot of the open clusters underwhelming, am I wrong?

I'm getting a bit concerned about this, I have to admit.  My wife has been busy booking us another holiday in France for the summer, but the way thing seem to be going it looks like we might end up staying in an igloo.  She keeps saying she'd like to stay in an ice hotel mind.  Every cloud (except the ones over me)...

James

• Haha 2

Most of the time, planning a session really pays off. Doing your homework, researching what can be seen. But sometimes I go out and see for example Venus, and think ‘what the hell, throw the plan away’.

M

• Like 1