Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

OK, first new problem. The focus simulator got itself into an infinite loop, which it hadn't done before. I blame sodding Win-Dross for trashing the ASCOM platform at the last update requiring me to re-install it. Time to buy a real autofocuser methinks. I can still run using the Autosave in Maxim and a separate MLPT but it's still annoying.

• Sad 1

Pity you cant dump "Win-Dross"!!

Edited by Gina

If ASA ever get their platform independent software up, and available to legacy mounts I may well do that. However Linux scares me with the variety of "flavours" and "nightly builds", feels like it's not a stable OS.

Oh, and there's a lot of detail in the Heart and Soul.

Edited by DaveS

I love this thread. I have completely clear skies but quite windy. Reading this thread is like watching an army readying for war, so many people, so much equipment being started up all right now. Who says we are alone in the dark? I am going out in ten minutes, see you all out there.

Marvin

• Like 3

Clear Outside says all Zero's......

Almost completely overcast.....

• Sad 4

Just now, DaveS said:

If ASA ever get their platform independent software up, and available to legacy mounts I may well do that. However Linux scares me with the variety of "flavours" and "nightly builds", feels like it's not a stable OS.

It's a very stable OS.  I don't bother with nightly builds.  This isn't even the latest main version but works fine.  Doesn't crash and doesn't have automatic updates or "phone home".  Yes, you can "mix and match" if you want but I'm very happy with Linux Mint as my main OS - very similar to earlier versions of Windows and easy to use.  I use a smaller version (called "distro" short for "distribution") for the RPi for image capture and kit control.  A friend of mine in her nineties was happily using Linux Mint on a laptop until recently so not difficult to use at all.

• Like 1

Fabulous blue sky all day long and clouded over just as it got dark (yet again)

• Sad 4

Well out of the 4 hours 80 sub run last night on M100 I have 10-12 that are useable, very high thin wispy cloud. Clouded out here apart from a very narrow window just after midnight. That compounded with the fact that apart from a "Nanna-Nap" I physically have not got my head down since this time yesterday, as a consequence no play for me to night. As an aside there was what I consider a sonic boom last night about 02:15 ish wonder if any one else heard it? Also lots of satellites deliberately driving though my subs. 

Just waiting for the 2 litres of coffee to leave the system, and I will be sleeping the sleep of the just.

Good luck to all those out tonight.

K

• Like 1

Looking good tonight so far. Just getting ready to head out again. Fingers crossed for a good night tonight 

• Like 1

And now the same ASCOM stuff has stuffed up the camera. Had to close Maxim and restart everything. I'm an hour behind. Sodding Win-Dross

• Sad 2

I was expecting a stonking AP night tonight and I got all three of my rigs set up.  I did some employment work earlier too so I could be up late tonight and lay in tomorrow until 9.  TEC140, wide-field and DSLR all on different targets ready to go planned.  I got the Dob out and all EP's ready.  Glorious blue skies all day. As soon as it got dark, within minutes, it clouded over.

I can't think of a more frustrating activity to partake in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

And that's when the software doesn't try to stuff you up at every opportunity.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gina said:

It's a very stable OS.  I don't bother with nightly builds.  This isn't even the latest main version but works fine.  Doesn't crash and doesn't have automatic updates or "phone home".  Yes, you can "mix and match" if you want but I'm very happy with Linux Mint as my main OS - very similar to earlier versions of Windows and easy to use.  I use a smaller version (called "distro" short for "distribution") for the RPi for image capture and kit control.  A friend of mine in her nineties was happily using Linux Mint on a laptop until recently so not difficult to use at all.

I agree completely.

I started last May, and wild horses wouldn't drag me back to the horrors of Windows for astronomy.

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 on a cheap Dell refurbished laptop, and(touch wood) it has been flawless.

I haven't upgraded the Linux since I got it.  In all honesty, if I ever feel the need to upgrade I would possibly buy another refurbed unit. They can be had for about £175 if you keep an eye open for their special deals.   Other manufacturers have the same facility I believe.

50 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Looking good tonight so far. Just getting ready to head out again. Fingers crossed for a good night tonight 

Didn't even get half way there and cloud had rolled in

I'm getting some Lum on M31 in an attempt to get a decent image of it.

The seeing seems to be quite good, and everything is behaving itself.  Got 75 mins so far.  To be honest, the first 5 minute sub looked good enough, but I need to learn a bit of patience, so I am going to keep at it until I can see the top of Orion.

Had some guiding issues to sort out from last night and been having for a while tbf so set up and had an hour’s window to sort it armed with some new info and ideas which worked spot on. 
Cant believe it was so simple and blatantly easy to rectify and get working 🙄

Despite poor planning, I did get 58 x 180s subs last night in Luminance.

Here it is without colour.  I 'think' (but comments welcome as I need to get it 100%) that collimation and focus look ok on the F2.8 scope.   Quite surprised at the detail for just 87 minutes panel, a bit noisy due to over-stretching but another night would make a good difference I think.

St-avg-10440.0s-test-med-st.jpg

Fantastic image Adam.  I presume this was taken at your dark location BEFORE you move to a LP location.  I have taken this 2 nights ago from Bortle 6 and it;s no=where near as crisp as yours and took a lot of processing to bring out the dust.

You will really find it hard putting up with LP after having dark skies. 

Carole  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gina said:

It's a very stable OS.

This is a Linux machine I don't need to touch very often:

$ uptime
 20:08:57 up 1714 days, 11:53,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.00

James

Looks like the cloud has now arrived. I got 30 mins each RGB on IC342 which is a bit more than I expected. For a while the clouds seemed to turn east at the north Norfolk coast so not reaching me, but the leading edge of the main bulk of cloud is now here, so I suspect its gonna be a wrap for tonight.

I have a problem getting the rig to point to Orion.  I just get a nice image of the distant hills and trees to the east!!!  No problem with Hear and Soul.  Very puzzled!!

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

I have a problem getting the rig to point to Orion.  I just get a nice image of the distant hills and trees to the east!!!  No problem with Hear and Soul.  Very puzzled!!

Try to move somewhere in between first, perhaps?

James

Using the mount control I can move the mount upwards and it's tracking the stars. 

Move it back to M42 and there's the trees again!!  Must be KStars.

• Sad 1

Could just be that it's model of the sky is not accurate enough yet.  If you move to a couple of other locations and plate solve and then attempt the move to Orion, perhaps it will do a better job?

James

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

Using the mount control I can move the mount upwards and it's tracking the stars. 

I don't know if this is any use to you, but there are three asteroids in Siemes 147 tonight.  They are about Mag 15.

I just decided to grab three in the same frame, and saw some wispy stuff that I thought I recognised.  Turns out that it was our old freind.

• Like 1