Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Obs is open and camera cooling down, just in case the satellite forecast is wrong....🤞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

Totally clear sky here ATM, nit a cloud in sight!  All set up ready to capture as soon as it gets dark enough.

Gina,  Should you be saying that out loud ???

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought I'd whispered it!  🤣

Edited by Gina
  • Haha 2

Don't you have to say Betelgeuse three times whilst spinning anti-clockwise and throwing salt over your shoulder now? :D

I'm just off out to open up the observatory, too.  Might kick something off before it really gets properly dark so I can come in and have a relaxing dinner.  I can live with throwing away a few subs at the start that's what it takes.

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All set up for 2 hours on M33, I'll start before Astro Dark to be ready for HH later. Will have to re-focus due to the differing thickness of Baader and Astrodon filters.

• Like 2

Polaris is showing but having slewed to Orion I'm getting nothing.  May not be above the far hill and trees yet.  That's a few degrees above horizontal.

Hmm...  Maybe I'll leave Orion for a while and see if I can grab something else...

Yes, I think Orion is still very low at the moment, Gina.

James

All running here, back to M81 for an easy target - nothing too strenuous tonight, I need an early night! Looks like cloud will stop play at about the right time anyway.

• Like 1

Managed a bit of Sol and Venus earlier now clouded over.

Met office says partialy clear, Windy says clear in about 1 hour  CO says cloudy as does the image from SAT 24.

• Sad 1

New target - Heart and Soul.

1322012467_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1918-14-29.png.4e651e11c4427c2bb5655e53e47e1482.png

• Like 5

Up and running here - just adding some more LRGB to IC342 - 2 subs in, so will see how long before the clouds arrive (or hopefully not)

• Like 1

Back to usual here ... sunny + clear blue all day and as soon as gets dark completely and utterly clouded over 😐 

• Sad 3

Currently playing - on M1 - fingers crossed for at least some usable subs without too much moisture!

• Like 3

And we're off. 2 hours of H-alpha on M33 in 10 min subs with the ASI1600 and Photoline at 685mm or so with the reducer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Back to usual here ... sunny + clear blue all day and as soon as gets dark completely and utterly clouded over 😐 

What is it with that, same here all too often.  As soon as the sun goes down, it changes.

• Like 2

It has to be something to do with the air, sudden cooling as the sun goes off > cloud formation. One for the met-office bods.

• Like 3

Just slewed to M42, but it's definitely still a bit early.  I'd be guiding through the tree tops.  Ach, it's only sycamore.  I'll have those down next weekend if I can :D

James

• Like 3

Despite poor planning, I did get 58 x 180s subs last night in Luminance.

Here it is without colour.  I 'think' (but comments welcome as I need to get it 100%) that collimation and focus look ok on the F2.8 scope.   Quite surprised at the detail for just 87 minutes panel, a bit noisy due to over-stretching but another night would make a good difference I think.

St-avg-10440.0s-test-med-st.jpg

• Like 5

Done a bit of experimenting with Heart and Soul.  Trying g300 and 180s and no binning.  240s is pushing it without guiding.  I was getting too much quantisation with g180.

• Like 1

Set up for Venus but thick fog rolled in well before dark, now a wall of cloud coming from north east.

I'll be 'playing' tomorrow - at band practice, so I may not get back in time to have a go :-0

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'll be 'playing' tomorrow - at band practice, so I may not get back in time to have a go

Is that you in your avatar?

Seem good.  Image needs flipping.  GIMP flips the image so I have to flip it back.

418176787_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1918-33-57.thumb.png.870f1c3a1a4702830e08395ac76a1e47.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, old_eyes said:

Well. If you were somewhere in the area between Vega and Arcturus it definitely wasn't M31. The only thinkg I can think of that would fill your view at that magnification would be M13 in Hercules. There is a sort of arc or stars below it. Could be?

Tired fingers, tapped out M31 instead of M13. I meant Hercules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Half the frame, just the Heart Nebula and just the Soul Nebula.  Soul is unscaled - full resolution.

g300_Light_H_Alpha_180_secs_2020-01-19T18-30-08_001a.png.40046ebe61c2ced584939f90abf6ef42.png

g300_Light_H_Alpha_180_secs_2020-01-19T18-30-08_001b.png.61308ab93ea0b25b382f753f66f358dc.png

g300_Light_H_Alpha_180_secs_2020-01-19T18-30-08_001c.thumb.png.61eac7d784897ab0443d04977d2da8c7.png

• Like 5