Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Lovely day and thinking of taking a walk up the hill - might blow my cold away (or make it worse).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

Lovely day and thinking of taking a walk up the hill - might blow my cold away (or make it worse).

Be careful out there, no falling in the briar patch 😂

Dave

• Haha 2

Just adding to my dark and flat library... new camera new library.  Shame cant use all my previous masters.  But will be worth it in the long run.

Leo last night was in the sweet zone when packing up.  Shame work tomorrow so may just observe if clear tonight. 

• Like 1

Wow, all the activity last night. I'd made the mistake of having a strong beer with my tea / dinner so was too dopey to set up for imaging. This was because I thought it wouldn't clear. Dur....

This morning I swapped the filters over and told Maxim and Sequence that there is a new set in the wheel, plus set up some new exposure sequences ready for tonight. Blummin' ZWO and their non-existent QC, I had to turn the FW over to get the "42mm" adaptor to fit, else it was too loose. The camera still fits.

Oh, and I'm doing a batch of Venison stew for the freezer, and got my second load of washing going.

• Like 2

3 hours wasted last night :(. Super high thin cloud layer which I didn't see in APT's stretch meant I had about 5 useable light frames :(. Ah well. 

• Sad 1

Back from a walk up the hill and a chat to the neighbours.  Lovely sunny day and quite warm in the sun.  Feel better for it 😀

I lost a couple or 3 hours of subs last night due to falling asleep and deciding to go to bed leaving it all running.  Collecting darks ATM.

• Like 1

Looking through last night's subs, I have 21 in the main set of g300 450s and another 10 at other gains and exposures.  These others look quite good and if I take extra darks to match, I can add them to the total and improve the result, I believe.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, A_N_other_beginner said:

Couldn't sleep so I've been having a mooch in the back garden. Being truly rubbish at locating anything I gave up and (don't judge me) just bimbled around with one of the only two EP's I get on well with - a 5mm SLV. This is on a 6" newt, so 150x mag. Whilst looking roughly ESE roughly between Vega and Arcturus I came across a globular cluster or galaxy. In the finder (9x50 RACI) this was the corner of a boomerang shape with a couple of stars, with the cluster above the two stars but no bright stars were in view, which made it tricky locating it again after I knocked the scope. This was in the UK and between 6-7am.

I spent a while following the cluster/galaxy, it was really quite impressive and took up a decent chunk of the FOV in the EP. I spent a few minutes trying to work out what I was looking at using Sky Safari; my best guess from that was it was M31. Anyone care to confirm or correct me based upon by (admittedly very flaky) information?

Well. If you were somewhere in the area between Vega and Arcturus it definitely wasn't M31. The only thinkg I can think of that would fill your view at that magnification would be M13 in Hercules. There is a sort of arc or stars below it. Could be?

I looked at CO this morning and it said another real clear night from 11:00 PM onwards sp left the rig outside but now it says 100% cloud cover and looking at the heavenst that looks to be more realistic 😞 

Oh well one clear nights a month, isn't that enough ? At least it there was no moon about so should be grateful really 🙂 

Hope someone else has better luck tonight.

Steve

1 hour ago, Gina said:

The problem with Orion is that it never gets very high in the sky here and sets behind western obstructions quite early.  I think I may image that early on and then swap to something else for the rest of the night.  I could go back to the Heat and Soul in Cassiopeia.  That area doesn't set.  ATM I'm only set up for widefield, currently about 10° x 7.5°.  I have lenses for about 7° x 5° after that it's scopes.  Esprit 80ED Pro is 400mm FL f5 and about 3.4° x 2.5°.  The latter is just nice for HH and Flame in Orion.  Whether I can get that ready for this season remains to be seen.

This - I didnt realise how low it actually is.  Unexpectedly I was imaging the inside of my observatory when I went out to check at 4:45am.  In fact I reckon it had been doing so for 2 hours!  I then went onto M106.  In future I will tick that box that moves onto next target (in SGPro) if there is a problem.  Lost about 2 hours of incredibly clear skies .

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

What are you trying to shoot Carole?

Well having run out of targets (been imaging for 10 years now), and being nothing much up in the way of nebulae, Galaxies are too small really for my kit. - Hate galaxy Season.   

I decided on a long shot to go for a target that most likely needs dark skies - and I was right, it's come out horrible.  LDN1251 Anglerfish Nebula - stayed up until 6am imaging got to bed at 6.30 by the time I had put everything in order for the night.  i.e. scope cover on, laptop in, everything turned off and electrics covered up.

It's currently predicted to be clear in Swanley (Dave's house where I am currently decamped) so I am only imaging until my target disappears, and tonight it will be the Cone Nebula.  Have done it before, but want to get something better.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gina said:

Think I might go for that part of the sky next - it's right next to Simeis 147 and very much brighter.  The HH and Flame are also a contender.  I know I can do a lot better than my previous attempt by using lower gain to stop the funnies on Alnitak, which was vastly overexposed.  There are so many interesting DSOs and so few clear nights!!

I tried Simeis 147 the other night after you showed what you had. My wide field is not as wide as your lens (my scope is 430mm FL 73mm diameter) so only got a fraction of it. However I got zero nebulocity as I was still playing with the gain settings of my 183.

For the flame I initially had it at 210 with 5 minute subs but lowered it to 180 which seems to be the sweet spot for flame with my cooled OSC Zwo.  For Simeis I had it set to unity 111 which was far too low as I got nowt.

I’ll try 147 again at higher gain 180 or 210 and much longer exposures and do a mosaic, assuming clear nights return when I get back from Hungary.

• Like 1

I'm using a gain of 300 for Simeis 147 with exposures of 450s with my ASI 1600MM-Cool camera.

CO is now showing green (clear) all night 😀

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gina said:

CO is now showing green (clear) all night 😀

Saying the same here but Sat24 showing cloud rapidly approaching from the North.

Dave

• Sad 2

Met Office showing promise until at least 2030-2100. CO shows cloud. Scope outside cooling in the hope the met are right. 

If they are I’ll at least be able to start on this year’s M42 or even the HH. 

• Like 1

I wondering what to image before Orion clears the palm tree (That I'm not going to take down). I'm done with Mel15 for this year, possibly a couple of hours H-alpha on M33, in readiness for tomorrow night where I might get some RGB, but the field is a bit wide with this set up.

I have the opposite problem - obstructions to the west so Orion will be obscured from around midnight onwards.  I plan to image Orion until it gets obscured and then choose something else.

I have managed to get KStars showing DSOs which is very helpful.  Here is my Orion FOV.

218812630_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1916-37-43.png.d2a82f71539b874227a774402715b80d.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

I have the opposite problem - obstructions to the west so Orion will be obscured from around midnight onwards.  I plan to image Orion until it gets obscured and then choose something else.

I lose him much earlier than that :(. However I’m keen to give M42 a go as it’s all I managed last year when I first started AP so I want to see how far I’ve progressed. 

I'll probably go for the Heart and Soul after midnight as previous imaging sessions of those were rather poor.  I'd be better turning the rig round to improve framing but then Orion would suffer.

1881281365_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1916-46-01.png.9e7f26ecb31da807ee158633ebb8c172.png

OK, having checked with Stellarium, I think M33 is a distinct possibility. The HII won't look anything much until I combine it with the RGB. Don't have the L filter as I only have 5 slots, and the 5th has the [OIII] filter, ready for HH and Flame.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Saying the same here but Sat24 showing cloud rapidly approaching from the North.

Dave

Yeah, clear here now but Met Office satellite images show a huge bank of cloud rolling in from the NNE....

MetOffSatellite-190120-1645.thumb.PNG.13f42f5186c96b2b62983635261526a7.PNG

Looks like it will be here with the next couple of hours 😒

• Sad 1

Totally clear sky here ATM, nit a cloud in sight!  All set up ready to capture as soon as it gets dark enough.

769658771_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1917-33-24.png.4cfed61b27178627ff4299d4e3542a84.png