Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Just returned from my 21.92 dark sky site, I didn't think it could be done, but saw the Horse Head and Flame Nebula through binoviewers in the big dob using both Hb and UHC filters! Using a single eyepiece, the HH was a doddle, but not substantially brighter than through the BVs, I'd say more contrast was the biggest difference.  Also used the binoviewers on M31, 32 and 33 and a few others, brilliant.  Will do a short write up in more detail tomorrow, if I can hold my head up long enough, haha, crazy night! 👍👍👍

• Like 8

Going to wimp out and go to bed now, target low down and I have some work to do later with the the "whirling wheel of death" AKA the table saw.

• Like 2

Thanks me done for tonight, good luck for those still running. The skies were never great, but it's a joy nevertheless to be capturing some data again. Now off to bed for a few hours shut eye. My wife has agreed not to disturb me and I'll wear an eye mask to help me sleep well into the morning - hopefully. Retirement is brilliant for this hobby 😎

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

....wife has agreed not to disturb me .....

I find that  having cold hands tends to ensure peace and quiet post imaging ......  ;) 

• Haha 2

I've given up as my target has disappeared, Carole is still trying.

Dave

9 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Retirement is brilliant for this hobb

I have to be up at eight o'clock to make my wife a cup of tea 😂

Dave

• Like 1

Another 3-4 mins I'm on the meridian for M100. Might sneak around the other way and get some of the Leo triplet before they disappear behind the neighbours roof.

• Like 2

Not long in after a wonderful 6 hour stint. spent most of the time among the Leo galaxies seeing some for the first time.😎

Edited by Les Ewan
  • Like 5

Not sure if my target is going to even show up (might be too faint for a LP location, but since I have stayed up and bothered to get started I might as well continue as long as possible in the faint hope (pun ha ha) that something just might show up in the final process.

Carole 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, carastro said:

Not sure if my target is going to even show up (might be too faint for a LP location, but since I have stayed up and bothered to get started I might as well continue as long as possible in the faint hope (pun ha ha) that something just might show up in the final process.

What are you trying to shoot Carole?

Now foggy but had a good night. Checked APT logs and it says PHD2 lost the guide star at around 2:30 - hey ho.

I was imaging IC405 at the time. Not sure if it was because it went behind a neighbours house or the fog developed.

• Like 1

Just reviewing the subs and it looks like it carried on but unguided until 4:45. I guess the guide scope dewed up despite having a dewshield and strap on.

Kaboom!

Thank you wind storm, few minutes ago neighbors 70 ft ash tree came crashing down.  Base has to be 7 ft wide.  Beatles killed it nearly 3 years ago, ever since been hoping they'd chop it down.  Fell harmlessly towards woods.

This opens up entire new swath of space to the South for me.  Improves everything, planets, solar, lunar, dso's. 

So great ! 

tree - Copy.jpg

• Like 6

Couldn't sleep so I've been having a mooch in the back garden. Being truly rubbish at locating anything I gave up and (don't judge me) just bimbled around with one of the only two EP's I get on well with - a 5mm SLV. This is on a 6" newt, so 150x mag. Whilst looking roughly ESE roughly between Vega and Arcturus I came across a globular cluster or galaxy. In the finder (9x50 RACI) this was the corner of a boomerang shape with a couple of stars, with the cluster above the two stars but no bright stars were in view, which made it tricky locating it again after I knocked the scope. This was in the UK and between 6-7am.

I spent a while following the cluster/galaxy, it was really quite impressive and took up a decent chunk of the FOV in the EP. I spent a few minutes trying to work out what I was looking at using Sky Safari; my best guess from that was it was M31. Anyone care to confirm or correct me based upon by (admittedly very flaky) information?

• Like 1

Just got to the end of last night's session and yes windows 10 crashed whist taking darks via APT. Got one of those we are reporting this to MS blue screens with the twirly thing providing you with the percentage of data it has sent to dear old William Grates whilst simultaneously providing  the  countdown to oblivion. Managed to reboot the machine and now APT has gone back to its default settings. I am just glad nuclear power stations and aircraft are not run on this drivel oh [word removed] they are.:BangHead:

Edited by KevS
typo
  • Sad 2

WOW!!!  So much activity after I went to bed!!  I could have done with staying awake for just another half hour because tracking stopped and the rest of the subs were just streaks of stars!  😮  Everything was running fine when I went to bed.  I was so tired that I was already dropping off sat on the settee I might have given up anyway when it went wrong.  Last good sub was 0010 this morning - just after midnight.  Normally I stay up until 1am or more!  Anyway, the result was 23 reasonable looking subs, one short of 3 hours.  Might have got another hour or two before the view was lost.  Today, I shall set up for a new set of darks to match the longer 450s subs.

• Like 3

I applaud all you who persevered and managed to get something out of last night. I set up at 6pm to let everything get to temp in anticipation it would clear after 10pm to carry one with Orion, Horse and Flame. I managed 10 measly 60s subs at midnight after I thought it had cleared for good before cloud started passing through again. Went to bed at 1.30 and as was locking up looked out to see it crystal.😓

• Like 1

Now taking darks...

Yeah I thought it would be like that, just as I was going to bed at around 12.30am I could see the last few clouds had disappeared and the sky was looking clear, didn't look great however, a bit hazy or something. 

Monday night is looking great at the moment. Fingers crossed. Tonight is green from 6pm till 10pm at the moment so might get some data tonight.

Edited by smr
  • Like 2

The forecasts for tonight now look the same as last night's!!  BBC and MO clear all night, CO cloud until late!  Think I'll see if I can take it easy today so that I'm fit for a late night.  Still have a cold but not quite as bad as it was.

• Like 2

Histogram and result of stretching in GIMP.

904810209_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1910-43-37.thumb.png.60032636a1d42a1f076ceed122db1a16.png

Only got just over an hour on IC405 Flame - it turns out fog stopped play

Done a partial process and need to do much more work - not enough time as I'm due at the airport in an hour.

IC405FlameNebula.thumb.jpg.01763cfb9cc0f36115beb32f7c0e402f.jpg

• Like 5

Think I might go for that part of the sky next - it's right next to Simeis 147 and very much brighter.  The HH and Flame are also a contender.  I know I can do a lot better than my previous attempt by using lower gain to stop the funnies on Alnitak, which was vastly overexposed.  There are so many interesting DSOs and so few clear nights!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I have to be up at eight o'clock to make my wife a cup of tea 😂

Dave

Noooo!!

I slept in until 11:57, so just managed to catch a bit of today's brilliant sunny morning 😎😎😎.

I had porridge for breakfast (brunch), so my and the Mrs are now heading out for a 2-3 mile walk. Should be back in good time to transfer data off the obs laptop for a quick processing peek and set up for another session tonight....

The problem with Orion is that it never gets very high in the sky here and sets behind western obstructions quite early.  I think I may image that early on and then swap to something else for the rest of the night.  I could go back to the Heat and Soul in Cassiopeia.  That area doesn't set.  ATM I'm only set up for widefield, currently about 10° x 7.5°.  I have lenses for about 7° x 5° after that it's scopes.  Esprit 80ED Pro is 400mm FL f5 and about 3.4° x 2.5°.  The latter is just nice for HH and Flame in Orion.  Whether I can get that ready for this season remains to be seen.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1