Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

5 minutes ago, KevS said:

Yes I am having a play with that this evening, I have also reduced the aggressiveness on both axes to try and prevent "overshoot".

I've had improvements both by increasing AND bt decreasing the aggressiveness over the last few nights.  I've also played with the hysteresis.

I upgraded the Indi platform and I am now a bit suspicious that something has gone very wrong somewhere.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to roll it back.

M100 will be coming out from behind the tree shortly, but the clouds are also coming, so I might not get it.

Anyonehave any success yet?

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I've got 1.5 hours R+G subs and just moved onto Blue, but the HFR is very poor, even though guiding is still ~0.5". I decided to look outside and the sky is very milky indeed, so I'm torn whether to keep going or call it a wrap, as I think all my blue subs are going to be very doubtful.....

Blue always seems most sensitive to conditions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, don4l said:

Anyonehave any success yet?

Just done 2 hours of 4 (3 min subs) on M100, but I will leave them "in the can" until morning too cream crackered to even think about processing tonight.

6 minutes ago, don4l said:

Blue always seems most sensitive to conditions.

Yes always, but M82 is pretty much transiting straight up right now, so I can't get better than that with the conditions. I think I'll keep shooting and then just shoot more another night, maybe even tomorrow if the forecast holds up.

The Moon will be up soon anyway, so probably not going to continue much past 3am....

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KevS said:

Just done 2 hours of 4 (3 min subs) on M100, but I will leave them "in the can" until morning too cream crackered to even think about processing tonight.

Did you spot the supernova ? only just got rid of clouds here and started imaging, bit late but can't waste clear skies.

Dave

I have packed up, guiding was driving me nuts plus After setting the camera at unity gain I noticed several subs in that the gain had gone to zero And add in a few other little issues I admitted defeat for the night. 
A few new things learned so not all bad. 

• Like 1

M100 has just come out to play.  The cloudy bit seems to have passes without too much effect.   I don't think that I have ever imaged so many different targets in a single session before.

• Like 1

3 1/2 hours in and 7 subs collected.

Might try to nod for a bit and set the alarm.

• Like 2

After my break to watch Match of the Day and to warm up, I returned to find the Newtonian iced over and the secondary misted up. So I swapped for my 5" refractor and am now imaging one of my favourite galaxies, NGC 4565 in Coma Berenices.

However, think I'll call it a night soon. Another clear one Sunday, hopefully 😀

Regards, Mike.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Did you spot the supernova ? only just got rid of clouds here and started imaging, bit late but can't waste clear skies.

Slight hint of an odd shape in some of the sub thumbnails;  but haven't done any processing as yet, was going to save that delight for tomorrow afternoon.

K

• Like 2

I'm in a similar boat.  Just done M100 with  8"SCT......   too boggle-eyed to notice if it's a SN or wind or collimation......   tomorrows job....

• Like 1

Decided to call it a night.  Lots of stuff to do tomorrow, some of it even astronomy-related.  Just warming up now.

James

• Like 1

Oh, and I've forgotten to close the flap on the observatory.  How many times have I done that?  Best go and sort it now...

James

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, KevS said:

Slight hint of an odd shape in some of the sub thumbnails;  but haven't done any processing as yet, was going to save that delight for tomorrow afternoon.

K

5 minutes ago, Craney said:

I'm in a similar boat.  Just done M100 with  8"SCT......   too boggle-eyed to notice if it's a SN or wind or collimation......   tomorrows job....

Single luminance from last night, might have missed it but for that big arrow in the sky 😂

Dave

552041166_SN2020reduced.png.10d19bb383c011f54a4b8501428c6bb7.png

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Single luminance from last night.

Dave

552041166_SN2020reduced.png.10d19bb383c011f54a4b8501428c6bb7.png

Nice :thumbright:

• Like 1

It's very obvious, isn't it?  I could see it even in quite short subs this evening before I gave up because guiding wasn't working out.

James

• Like 1

Well over an hour more than planned, but with crystal skies it would have been criminal not to finish the NBs after my mishap...so its nite from me 😴

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

It's very obvious, isn't it?  I could see it even in quite short subs this evening before I gave up because guiding wasn't working out.

James

I had to check online to make sure.

This is 15m.  I have another 2 5m subs to add tomorrow, but I'm also shutting up shop now.

Sum m100F5Gs.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

arrow in the sky

821100096_M100SN.jpg.def5ceeed60fdebdbd6feabcca4e3e55.jpg

Who puts them there?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KevS said:

Who puts them there?

👽 👽👽👽👽

Dave

Well what a time to start imaging 3.30 in the morning,  been waiting all night for the clouds to clear.

Not much choice of targets as not set up for tiny galaxies,  so not sure if my target will even come out anyway.

Carole  

• Like 3

Just now, carastro said:

Well what a time to start imaging 3.30 in the morning,  been waiting all night for the clouds to clear.

Not much choice of targets as not set up for tiny galaxies,  so not sure if my target will even come out anyway.

Carole  

Good luck Carole, I'm just taking my last sub before shutting everything down - been going since about 6:15pm so well into my 10th hour....😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

Well what a time to start imaging 3.30 in the morning,

I wondered where you were🤣