Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

3 minutes ago, don4l said:

I've never seen an image of the Perseus Double that looked anything like the eyepiece view.

I totally agree, lot to be said for looking, I think it's been about 6-7 months since I put an eyepiece in a telescope.  Must try it again some time i'm sure that I would still enjoy it; but it's a summer occupation for me these days namely not standing outside in the cold.🥶

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KevS said:

I totally agree, lot to be said for looking, I think it's been about 6-7 months since I put an eyepiece in a telescope.  Must try it again some time i'm sure that I would still enjoy it; but it's a summer occupation for me these days namely not standing outside in the cold.🥶

I used to be able to sit out in the frost till 2 or 3 in the morning.  Then one night I got cold into my core.  It came as quite a shock!

Now that I am imaging from the breakfast room (with music), I won't be tempted back onto the patio again!.

Mind you, Radio 3 has been trying to get me out, but I've switched over to Absolute Radio.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KevS said:

Goodnight Gina,

M100 has just cleared the neighbours roof so I have just started.

I've been waiting for that myself.  I'll check if it is sufficiently clear of the trees to my East in a moment.

James

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, don4l said:

I used to be able to sit out in the frost till 2 or 3 in the morning.  Then one night I got cold into my core.  It came as quite a shock!

When Mrs KevS and I were younger our Lake District camping started in late October and finished late February to avoid the crowds; just the thought of that these days makes me glad of central heating.🤣

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KevS said:

7 minutes ago, don4l said:

Now that I am imaging from the breakfast room (with music), I won't be tempted back onto the patio again!.

Mind you, Radio 3 has been trying to get me out, but I've switched over to Absolute Radio.

Yeah, I got pretty cold last night, mainly as I hadn't dressed with warm enough clothes for a long session, but at least I was able to brew a couple of mugs of tea in the club house. By the time we packed up at Seething the cars were iced over and my old bones were certainly feeling it - that said it was great fun observing with other members and using a few different instruments. The skies were much more transparent last night than tonight....

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I've been waiting for that myself.  I'll check if it is sufficiently clear of the trees to my East in a moment.

Quite low at the mo so I am picking up a fair bit of LP. But I will let it run for the next 4 hours or so see what I get. PHD was a bit squiffy earlier but seems to have settled down the last 10 mins or so after I wacked the RA aggression to 85% and set min move on both axes to 0.1. Still playing with it, doesn't help that I don't have a permanent set up.

Edited by KevS
typo
  • Like 1

... clouds cleared more or less. Compared the 8” newt with the 6” SW Mak, first light for the Mak. Not bad. But I guess the game’s up when there’s a crust of ice on everything, hairdryer notwithstanding.

M

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Space Bat said:

last leg on the crab

IDShot_540x540.jpg.048872b7f0ca4dcd157f86052e3ac939.jpg

Yummy🤣

• Haha 4

Lol I am so tired didn't even get my own pun 🤣  was up till 2.30 last night on same object but thin cloud had phd dancing all over.  Tonight  has been smooth as butter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Space Bat said:

Lol I am so tired didn't even get my own pun 🤣  was up till 2.30 last night on same object but thin cloud had phd dancing all over.  Tonight  has been smooth as butter.

You throw em up we'll keep batting them back!

Just been out to use the hair drier, and cloud has started to appear.  Currently doing ngc2903 (a pretty little thing) while waiting for my first look at the delights of Leo, which are still behind a tree.  If the cloud keeps up, then I will probably have to wait until next month!

This is 20m:-

Sum ngc2903F5.jpg

• Like 7

So just finished O3 and something doesn't look right...then an S2 drops and it looks same as previous filter set...good God forgot to plug the sodding wheel back in when swapping filters...😡  so start again...

Edited by Space Bat
  • Sad 3

Started a bit later than I wanted due to cloud and a date with the settee after last nights late finish, I think it was about 5am when I went to my bed.

Collecting more data on IC443.

Also collimated the SCT after its little wash the other day.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, don4l said:

This is 20m:-

Is that a single exposure?

17 minutes ago, Space Bat said:

So just finished O3 and something doesn't look right...then an S2 drops and it looks same as previous filter set...good God forgot to plug the sodding wheel back in when swapping filters...😡  so start again...

Whoops

1 minute ago, Ibbo! said:

Whoops

Sleep is over rated anyways...safely indoors watching another  episode of the witcher

2 minutes ago, KevS said:

Is that a single exposure?

4 x 5m subs,  calibrated and stacked in CCDStack.  I cannot do much longer at the moment because there is something wrong with my autoguiding.    I've just recalibrated PHD for the third or fourth time tonight!  I didn't recalibrate betweem May and last week, so something has gone very wrong.

I got another 4 subs before it reached the meridian, and I am now on M96 and freinds.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Space Bat said:

Sleep is over rated anyways...safely indoors watching another  episode of the witcher

Half watching Jeremy Wade on ITV4

9 minutes ago, don4l said:

I've just recalibrated PHD for the third or fourth time tonight! 

Yes I find it a bit hit and miss some times. I set up from scratch so tend to calibrate and run "guiding assistant" for each session.  Did some time on the rosette earlier tonight and was within 0.8 on both axes; same part of the sky at the moment on M100 and it's all over the shop 1.5 rms ish on both axes. Not a problem because I have only 432mm FL, so fairly wide field, but still mysterious all the less. Was even getting some RA.Osc until the PEC cut in.

Edited by KevS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KevS said:

Yes I find it a bit hit and miss some times. I set up from scratch so tend to calibrate and run "guiding assistant" for each session.  Did some time on the rosette earlier tonight and was within 0.8 on both axes; same part of the sky at the moment on M100 and it's all over the shop 1.5 rms ish on both axes. Not a problem because I have only 432mm FL, so fairly wide field, but still mysterious all the less.

One thing recently learned is to use hysterisis more 

Just packed up - too tired to keep going. Got a veritable smorgasbord of frames tonight - possibly not a lot that I can use directly but a good start to the year I think. I managed some good shots of M81 in 300s exposures so I can add that to the pile I already have for that target, and

I think I've got dew inside my optical train - there's a heater on the coma corrector but looking down the 'scope at the end I couldn't see the sensor. The whole rig has been sat outside for a full year so it might just have gotten damp enough and just needs bringing in for a good few days of being very dry.

I've never imaged or post-processed a comet before, just banged through the process from Inside PixInsight for processing and I clearly have a lot to learn. But I can definitely see a comet in this mess, so it's a start!

c2017t2.thumb.jpg.adf2395a861b2b535dc0ceb3e5a3b543.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Space Bat said:

One thing recently learned is to use hysterisis more 

Yes I am having a play with that this evening, I have also reduced the aggressiveness on both axes to try and prevent "overshoot".

• Like 2

I've got 1.5 hours R+G subs and just moved onto Blue, but the HFR is very poor, even though guiding is still ~0.5". I decided to look outside and the sky is very milky indeed, so I'm torn whether to keep going or call it a wrap, as I think all my blue subs are going to be very doubtful.....

• Sad 1

Guiding is a complete mess on M100.  Perhaps the sky is just too bright in that direction at the moment.  Might have to have another go tomorrow if the weather allows.

James