Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The seeing looks so much better than it was earlier, but that just helps to make the dimming of Betelgeuse all the more pronounced.  I'm amazed by how much it has changed.

Indeed - quite dramatic! Orion just doesn't look the same...

Letting the last set of subs on M81 finish and then I'm going to slew over and have a first crack at C/2017 T2 PANSTARRS, inspired by mcrowie. Never done comet imaging before, so we'll see how it goes...

• Like 1

I was observing from the front of the house as there are people in next door and they have lights on in their garden room. The road is very dark. I could see pretty much all of Canis Major, and the fainter stars do make it look like a dog on its hind legs. Leo is starting to be well placed. I'll go out in a bit and have a look at Praesepe.

• Like 1

Just had a look outside myself and lots of clear sky though slightly fewer stars showing over to the east.  Yes. Betelgeuse definitely looks dimmer than it used to.  It was as bright or brighter than Rigel but now it's distinctly dimmer.

• Like 1

Clear all day here, clouded over as soon as sun went down as usual but has actually cleared for first time in weeks. Imaging California Nebula until 2 and then M101

• Like 2

Seeing has improved considerably.   So taking some subs of an old favourite...crab nebula 

• Like 1

Seeing is definitely very good when the transparency and clouds let up!

Fairly humid here though not yet foggy. Hopefully not for a while.

• Like 1

Now have 10 fairly decent subs of Simeis 147.  75 minutes total.  1¼ hours.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 4

Set up here but lots of cloud ATM, forecast to clear later.

Dave

• Like 1

Just performed a flip and back on target. Dram in hand in front of the stove. How lucky i am. Clear sky to all.

• Like 3

OK at last able to start. Still some wisps around so may lose some subs, but it is getting clearer. FINGERS CROSSED!

• Like 2

There are shreds of relatively bright high cloud coming over, but I did manage to see Praesepe as a clear naked eye cluster, and it was very well defined through the 7x50s. Had another look at M42 before coming in, it looked huge through the bins.

Will turn in shortly, but I'm a happy chappy, despite not imaging.

• Like 4

Got 6m of Ha and 20m of OIII on M42 earlier.  I also took some Green and Blue, but they look horrible if I try to use them.  It will be something to play with tomorrow.  This is a crop of the HOO.

color.jpg

• Like 5

Now have 16 Simeis 147 subs of 450s - a total of 2 hours.  All the subs look similar and reasonable.  No misting problems so far so either the dew is less or my dew heater is doing it's job 😀 

• Like 2

Just moved over to M82, so hoping to keep going another 3 hours or so.....

• Like 1

There is a definite improvement from being under bortle 4 skies.

This is just 20x 30 second subs for each panel but its better than my test image of 30 subs for each pane.

I really hope i don't get stopped by clouds tomorrow

auto_stretch_orion app.jpg

• Like 5

Clear here and continuing with imaging.  I'll leave the rig running while I go to bed.  I shall loose the image when the roof gets in the way but I can just dump those subs.

Goodnight all - bed calls.  Good luck to everyone continuing.

• Like 2

Goodnight Gina,

M100 has just cleared the neighbours roof so I have just started.

Doing M44 to add to my Messier collection.  Can't say that I am very keen on open clusters, but it has to be done.

• Like 2

Goodnight Gina.  Hope the data turns out good.

3 minutes ago, don4l said:

Doing M44 to add to my Messier collection.  Can't say that I am very keen on open clusters, but it has to be done.

It's a lovely big, bright cluster, one of several that I looked at through some 88mm observational binoculars and a 12" dob last night.....

4 minutes ago, don4l said:

Added some data to my M44 file earlier on. I quite like the open clusters started in this game as a kid just after the late King died with a pair on binos.

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

It's a lovely big, bright cluster, one of several that I looked at through some 88mm observational binoculars and a 12" dob last night.....

I have the feeling that it is one of those things that always look much better through the eyepiece.

I've never seen an image of the Perseus Double that looked anything like the eyepiece view.

• Like 4

Flaming star IC405

20EE3056-3A4B-477F-8EDA-2F07E709BF5E.thumb.jpeg.aa0dd04c339a24eccc53bac17c1b101f.jpeg

Edited by Danjc
  • Like 2