Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I'm sat at my dark site. Bortle 4 skies, imaging Orion again. Took a while to get polar aligned but finally getting round stars, I think. 

Lovely milky way over head and the subs roll in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Doesn't really seem to be able to decide whether it's going to be cloudy or not here.  I've set the 80ED up to capture an hour's worth of O3 on the Wizard as that seems to be the clearest part of the sky, but it could all go horribly wrong.

James

It's the same here.  I've got everything set up, but the sky isn't really clear.

Trying M42 just to see what it looks like. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Kind of clear here, bit hazy, at least its not raining so hopefully might get something tonight.

If its anything like it is here 20 miles or so down the road then very misty and overcast now but all my gear is set up and hoping CO is correct and it clears up at 11:00 or so.

Steve

• Like 1

I'm currently taking 10min ha subs of the Tadpole nebula. That was after actually managing a focus run with sgpro. Imaging being helped along by the neighbours hot tub and their bathroom light which can shine into the dome. 

First time since the beginning of December when I had 3 clear nights. Mind someone keeps moving the clear nights, it was supposed to be 2 of them and now I think I'll be lucky to have one!

• Like 1

Cloudy here. I am confident in the CO forecast... 0 from midnight till sunrise.. 

Just looked north to see high loud rolling in. Hope I can finish this run before it gets here 

Simeis 147 3nm Ha 450s g240 bin3x3.  Stretched in GIMP.

97126943_Simeis147g240_Light_H_Alpha_450_secs_2020-01-18T21-08-33_001.thumb.png.a89f3c20256310bdd23af66db1aa65f7.png

• Like 4

Looking good Gina.

I am back at Dave's having gone home during the day and been processing last night's M42 which I am just about the post up.  

Waiting here for the skies to clear, supposed to be clear after here after midnight/1am

Carole 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I’ve set a sequence going however I’m not convinced the cloud isn’t going to bigger [removed word] things up but seeing as I had it set up thought I might as well. 

Always intended to try and improve my M81 data but then saw Orion was nice and clear and was going to try M42 to see how I’ve improved since I started this whole AP malarkey in Feb. 

Then thought the clouds had cleared enough for M81 and now I’m not sure. Perhaps should have gone for M42. Ah well, will see what I end up with :)

• Like 1

I think the gain can be increased until the brightest part of the image is just short of saturating.  A gain of 300 for these Simeis subs with 450s exposure brings the stars up to just below saturation.  450s is just about as far as I can go while still getting round stars without guiding.

Here's a screenshot of GIMP showing part of the histogram and stretched image with a gain of 300 and 450s exposure.

403848808_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1821-41-03.thumb.png.ec63ff7417a193e0d9e7cc1b2185a97f.png

• Like 2

The whole histogram.

1014649197_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1822-07-56.png.276f4dcd8f00dcf2a2d6e3c9fa264188.png

Took delivery of the new Asi2600 camera yesterday and can you believe it was clear last night and tonight again. Same thing happened when i bought my first telescope. 😀

Single sub at 240 seconds

single_sub.thumb.jpg.00b3f7204d9557fcdd74c95dd0e6da07.jpg

• Like 8

Give up. Subs to date are no good and I’m up with the boy tomorrow so will be an early start. 

I’ve took a punt though and am leaving the mount set up as tomorrow night has potential and I’ve nailed PA using SharpCap for the first time :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Took delivery of the new Asi2600 camera yesterday and can you believe it was clear last night and tonight again. Same thing happened when i bought my first telescope. 😀

Single sub at 240 seconds

single_sub.thumb.jpg.00b3f7204d9557fcdd74c95dd0e6da07.jpg

Very impressive for a short single sub. That camera looks like it has potential :)

• Thanks 1

Cloud stopped play. Home now

DSC_4295.JPG

Edited by geordie85
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Promised clear skies for tonight, but still waiting. Clear patches occasionally followed by big banks of cloud.

Pity. I was hopeful.

Not imaging as there's no point until I get my filters sorted out, but I've been out with the 7x50 (Too big a pupil for me now) to have a look around. Very dark sky, could see the Rosette with only slightly averted vision, the nebulosity around the Pleiades was very clearly visible, while looking at M42 I'm sure I saw traces of the Running Man. Couldn't quite see the Horse and Flame, but didn't expect to, Alnitak was glaring bright. Surprised at just how dim Betelgeuse has become. The Winter Milky Was was visible to the horizon with traces of structure, plus a lot of "Graininess" to the sky suggesting a lot of stars just at or near visibility.

Can see some high cloud in the north-west area being lit by Bridport. High cloud picks up the light from Bridport and Weymouth and appears bright, but low cloud is dark, in fact it only shows up as an absence of stars. Definitely the dark end of Bortle 4, close to Bortle 3

• Like 2

Still got big banks of cloud rolling over but I'm still managing useful subs so far.

That 2600 looks impressive! Think I've settled on the ScopeDome 3M as my dome of choice for the obsy - fully automated it's only £7k... so no shiny new cameras for me while I save up!

• Like 1

After a clear day here in mid Cornwall, high cloud moved in at dusk. I set up at about 7pm anyway, and fortunately by 8pm most of the cloud had cleared away, with only some passing wisps remaining.

I've since been out imaging part of the Rosette Nebula and imaging/observing Comet PanSTARRS T2 (which is currently close the zenith) with my 12" Newt. Transparency is reasonable, though the air is very damp and there does seem to be a little mist - and of course a heavy dew, which is starting to freeze on the 'scope.

I now have the camera taking dark frames, while I'm inside to warm up (and watch Match of the Day). Planning to do some galaxy imaging later 😀.

Regards, Mike.

My plan was a 12 panel mosaic of orion. Looks like I'll just have to try again tomorrow night as its forecast for no high cloud. 

I guess I'll have to wait and see

• Like 1

Waiting for the dregs to pass over. Supposed to be clear from 11pm onwards and Sat 24 does show a clear spell moving in from the west.

Screenshot_20200118-224117_Sat24.jpg

Well I'm 3 hours into adding LRGB subs to those already captured on IC342, so that's currently 2 hours each LRGB and I'll keep going on the L for another hour, before switching targets to get some RGB on M82 to add to the Ha and R already captured. The sky doesn't look as clear as it did last night when I spent 5 hours doing visual, but I think the data looks reasonable, with PHD2 guiding continuing at around 0.5" all night so far - no doubt I'll find out when I get to process it. I've just seen the local weather forecast for tonight on TV, which is that we might get some sleety rain in the early hours.....

Once again RDP wouldn't play nicely, so I've also downloaded TeamViewer on both laptops and am now successfully monitoring the obs from the warmth of my lounge with a log burner pumping out the heat.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

CO had it cloudy 'till 1-2 tomorrow morning and Met Office radar had a band of cloud moving down right over us all night, so didn't bother setting up. Just took a peek outside as I was locking up and it's a crystal clear sky! 🤬😥

• Confused 1

My last couple of OIII subs on the Wizard were a bit ropey, but the ones prior to that look ok.  I think perhaps it was just getting a little low in the sky.

I've moved to the Monkey Head now.

The seeing looks so much better than it was earlier, but that just helps to make the dimming of Betelgeuse all the more pronounced.  I'm amazed by how much it has changed.

James

• Like 1