Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

My observatory roof was open from last night so just had to set up the equipment.  Tried plate solving the image from last night and it worked so I shan't have to find that very faint object again.

Spent the last 3 hours setting up, re-collimating everything and balancing the mount prior to darkness, then did drift alignment to get PA error down to about 3-4 arcmin. Everything's now up and running and I've had my first light of 2020!

I have resolved for 2020 to be the year I do the observatory. Phew. So many nights and long nights at that where I've missed hours of imaging time already because I need to be asleep and setup will take time!

Still, all seems to have been worth it, skies permitting. First test shot of M110 looks promising with sharp stars. Had a bit of a Kstars grumble where it crashed and promptly refused to acknowledge my profile existed, so had to re-configure and re-calibrate the focuser. D'oh. All good now.

1723580348_1579372062418.remmina-2020-1-18-182848.728500.thumb.png.341ab142dceb0f8f9d4b3d35edbec81e.png

Edited by discardedastro
  • Like 1

So far so good. I’ve got my 1st 4x5 min red subs on IC342 in, with guiding around total RMS of 0.45”, which I’ll take all night, if indeed it stays clear all night.... 🤞

• Like 2

Car is packed ready for tonight. Lots of high cloud at the moment but it's forecast to be clear from around 8 o'clock. 

Fingers crossed 

Thick cloud still...

Fairly good here, apart from the usual software hiccups, windows did an update overnight so I had to reset to old system. Waiting for the sky to re-clear after this evenings clear spell where I did all the PHD calibration etc. Note to self:...….build an observatory this spring. Intend seeing if I can pick up the SN in M100 tonight seems favourably placed from my location. Even remembered to focus this evening. 🤣.

Good luck everyone; tally ho, i'm going in.

Looks like CO and not the met Office is right for tonight, alas. Probably about midnight before it clears.

My impression too.

Edited by Gina

Just had a butchers, CO and Ventusky are juxtaposed in their opinions, fingers crossed.

Thin wispy stuff here.  Testing the autoguiding at the moment after rebalancing the scope and rebooting the Indi server.  Things are not quite right, but much better than last night.

My mount might need stripping down and cleaning, but it looks like a dodgy software problem.

CO is winning here!!  Unfortunately  :clouds1:

Still cloudy but it’s supposed to clear up in about an hour so all setup ready. I do see it being a possible frustrating night though as I have a new guide scope, the first time I will have used the mount since FLO fine tuned my belt mod and had a little tweak of the mount at IAS and a general new setup configuration. 

Ready for action.....

B298A98B-E0F0-444C-85FC-E1C83DF0C30D.thumb.jpeg.184e16f1727cb4976e710645843475d2.jpeg

• Like 1

A murky Orion.

1680071765_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1820-01-35.png.47f109be4592b8e54e1e3d078675dcb0.png

Met office last night was for mixed cloud with gaps, and tonight clear all through the weekend. The exact opposite is happening. Last night was crystal, tonight lots of passing semi transparent cloud...

Cloud here in places, seen a few stars, so not bothering at the mo. Besides, I want to swap filters before imaging again.

Very much cloudy here. Just got an answer to a question I wasn't planning on asking - yes, if you're quick at least, KStars/Ekos/INDI and PHD2 will mostly recover from your system unexpectedly going into suspend without losing track of things! I have now plugged in the laptop... doh.

DSC_5145.thumb.jpg.9d89a7e4d85d5abe717c464e1bc94101.jpg

DSC_5149.thumb.jpg.35d69ce1c1a0f13532ec26795eac3d2e.jpg

• Like 2

Getting better - trying an imaging run.

1428295751_Screenshotfrom2020-01-1820-36-15.thumb.png.1e31bb457fc491ba3cdb62b8717b015e.png

FITS file stretched in GIMP and saved in PNG format.

1614428401_Simeis147g300_Light_H_Alpha_300_secs_2020-01-18T20-33-10_001.thumb.png.a96b93f88b57168b56dfdc2a7d8e3986.png

• Like 4

Kind of clear here, bit hazy, at least its not raining so hopefully might get something tonight.

Doesn't really seem to be able to decide whether it's going to be cloudy or not here.  I've set the 80ED up to capture an hour's worth of O3 on the Wizard as that seems to be the clearest part of the sky, but it could all go horribly wrong.

James

Not bad but not brilliant here.  Doing some experimenting with Simeis 147.  Considering the general consensus on gain settings for the ASI 1600MM-Cool CMOS camera, I'm not really happy with a gain of 300.  Now trying lower gain of 240 and have gone up to 450s exposure - 8 subs an hour.