Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I'm out now, too.  Going for 10 x 10min Ha on the Dumbell.  The seeing looks pretty good at the moment.  We'll see what the first sub looks like.

Not completely sure it's going to stay clear, I have to admit.

James

I'm imaging Sh2-129 with a 300mm zoom lens and astro-modded EOS 600D, piggybacked on a 'scope for tracking. However, there's variable cloud - so no doubt quite a few frames will need deleting.

Regards, Mike.

I've just having another go at Comet Africano hoping for long enough clear spell to do a time lapse.

Dave

What's the official designation of that comet, Dave?  I quite fancy trying to find it.  I looked the other day and found several matches.

James

Nice and clear here in south Essex , imaging  the heart Nebula .. ,should be clear till morning ..  I hope 🤞

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

What's the official designation of that comet, Dave?  I quite fancy trying to find it.  I looked the other day and found several matches.

James

C/2018 W2 (Africano), Stellarium co- ord's are accurate tonight, just above Perseus, they were way out last night.

Dave

Hmmm.  Could be tempting to fire up the 72ED.  I wasn't going to use it tonight because I had trouble stacking my last set of subs from it.

James

Turning in now totally fed up with IT.

Gah!  Stellarium won't run on this laptop.  Apparently I need to upgrade my graphics hardware.

James

Just now, DaveS said:

Turning in now totally fed up with IT.

You're certain it's a software issue, Dave?  Not perhaps a loose cable or anything like that?

James

Clear skies here. Third night on the Eastern Veil. 5 minute subs for as long as it's clear.

I'm getting some new data on SH2-119.  I did it last year, but my old filters produced horrible halos.

If anybody knows how to combine the old data minus the halos, then I'd love it.

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Hmmm.  Could be tempting to fire up the 72ED.  I wasn't going to use it tonight because I had trouble stacking my last set of subs from it.

James

Won't be stacking mine just doing 120secs subs to try a time lapse, it's not going very fast but should track across half the Atik4000OSC frame if it stays clear long enough.

Dave

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Gah!  Stellarium won't run on this laptop.  Apparently I need to upgrade my graphics hardware.

James

Can't you download CdC and get it running in just a few minutes?

Does CdC display comets?  I've never tried.

James

7 minutes ago, JamesF said:

James

I used 03.13.19 / +54.54.25 got it pretty close to the centre of the camera, it hasn't moved far in 30 minutes.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Kstars is a little way off that, but perhaps I can still find it.  I'll power up the other mount and see.

James

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

James

Yes it does. 

But you need to update the listing

image.png.48307e732b3f604031d273f290105de9.png

I'm imaging the Deer Lick Galaxy (NGC7331) and friends. So far tonight I've collected 2 hours L (24 x 5mins) to go with the 4.5 hours RGB (1.5 hours each) that I got last night. Guiding is around 0.5" RMS and the subs looking good so far.... 🤞. Hope to get about 4 hours in the can tonight.....

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

James

Here is a screenshot!

I haven't checked the accuracy recently, but I used it last year and it was always spot on.

Untitled.jpg

Had a great night of imaging so far. Shame it's a work night, will have to pack it in soon! Shooting M101 Pinwheel Galaxy tonight, LRGB.

Well, either I have it and it's quite faint, or the telescope is pointing at something else fuzzy :)

James

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Well, either I have it and it's quite faint, or the telescope is pointing at something else fuzzy :)

James

It's pretty faint mag 11ish in comet terms.

Dave

Does this look like it?

africano.png.9676a547027593b3dbe2e3baae3dbc9a.png

James

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Does this look like it?

africano.png.9676a547027593b3dbe2e3baae3dbc9a.png

James

Yep that looks like it, not very exciting as comets go but about the best one around ATM.

That's why I thought a time lapse would look better than a single image.

Dave