Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Been clear blue skies all day. Clouds moving in now though and not looking so good. 🤬

It's been clear here in the west this afternoon. However the sat picture shows cloud now over Ireland heading this way. I might get some early evening viewing in if I'm lucky. My scope is out but not fully wired up for computer control and photography. So I've more or less decided to just use the hand set and do some visual. Sometimes it's nice to just do that and not faff around with all that imaging malarkey. 

Posted (edited)

I'm taking a punt. Got the 'scope uncovered, dew heaters on and camera cooled. Will try for 3 hours [SII] on Mel15, to compare with the [NII] data I captured earlier. I want to sort out the [NII] vs [SII] vs HII data, to see if my supposed "[NII]" really *is* genuine [NII] and not just HII that's leaked through the passband.

Edited by DaveS

Cloud heading this way from the North so waiting to see how it is by the time it's dark.

Dave

Waiting for it to get dark enough to focus and align with the [SII] filter. The day is getting noticeably longer now since we've passed the solstice.

Nice & clear here at the moment. Unfortunately, as always seems to be the case when it's clear, we are going out tonight! 😤😖. Sequence dance lesson, then the class is going for a curry after! Sods law anyone!

Well, I.ve opened the observatory roof.  It's got quite stiff - probably from lack of use!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

About 30 minutes ago I set up the Skywatcher 150P on the AZ5 mount and viewed Venus with the 6mm Ethos and 1.6X barlow. Very clear and steady. Moved over to the Moon - sharp at 188x.

Will leave the scope for some later double stars.

• Like 3

Currently clear here.  Fingers crossed for a good evening.

• Like 1

Clear here still.  Polaris in viewer ready for PA.

Alignment and focus looks OK, so set the Sequence running, it will start at 6.18 when we get astro dark.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

About 30 minutes ago I set up the Skywatcher 150P on the AZ5 mount and viewed Venus with the 6mm Ethos and 1.6X barlow. Very clear and steady. Moved over to the Moon - sharp at 188x.

Will leave the scope for some later double stars.

I've been doing the same with my 12 inch dob Mark.

Nice view of Venus and it's phase at 227x (Pentax XW 7mm). UHC filter cleared up some flaring and made it crisper.

The Moon looks gorgeous at 265x (Ethos 6mm). Also at 122x with the Ethos 13 and the whole disk in the field of view. Hadley Rille adjacent to the Apollo 15 landing site very nicely defined where it curves away from the hills of the Hadley Delta and crosses the flat plain.

Clear Outside has me loosing my clear skies by around 10:00 pm :sad:

PA looks as good as it was before I altered it - I'll take some subs and see.

Humidity looks lower than it has been for a while today.  Might be a relatively dew-free evening as a result.  I do have to take my daughter swimming shortly though, so how much clear sky I'm actually going to see this evening is anyone's guess.

James

• Sad 1

Down just above the eastern horizon so PA error would show up most but theres cloud there.

1756291812_Screenshotfrom2020-01-0317-36-34.thumb.png.61cbec0c697dcd223b8a476904615d3c.png

Damn laptop PSU looks to be kaput, so can't use it for RDP. Maybe I can use the spare PC I had for the obsy.

• Sad 1

Its Grim up north ....

• Sad 1

Been out with the mak for a little visual on Venus and the Moon, lots of cirrus cloud laying around for now, hopefully it may clear up later. Only had 1 shot at M42/43 so far and that was less than an hour and badly framed. Good data on that is my goal for the foreseeable.

Posted (edited)

Wall to wall cloud here now but forecast is for it to clear later. We’ll see. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

Posted (edited)

Plate solving is working fine in spite of the cloud.  M42 is supposed to be in there!  I'll try elsewhere...

Edited by Gina

M31  doesn't show much detail in a 300s sub when the frame type is set to "Dark".

I'll have to make a note of that so I don't try it again!

• Haha 1

I think my equipment is playing up.  Showing plenty of stars but no DSOs.  The solved frame doesn't match the imaging frame in KStars :eek:

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

I think my equipment is playing up.  Showing plenty of stars but no DSOs.  The solved frame doesn't match the imaging frame in KStars :eek:

That sounds quite odd :(

Positive news for me (of a sort) though.  My daughter isn't feeling great and doesn't want to go swimming, so I'm off out to open up the observatory.

James

I should have left the frame type at "Dark".   What kind of aircraft is this?

m31_Green_300s_-39.7C_001.jpg