Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I've decided to not bother imaging tonight because it's raining.

The folks at CO/Met Office deserve some sort of recognition for their unparalleled efforts this evening.

Edited by don4l

Despite the clear forecast I'm continually competing with patch cloudy that keeps playing havoc with PHD2.  :(

Stepped out at 10pm and clear skies from my 20.6 SQM LP abode. Figuring this might be my last chance for awhile, I quickly set up the 200p and spent some time admiring the Orion Nebula with a small selection of eyepieces. First light for my £40 Orion 27mm extra flat, was surprised how nice and crisp the views were. I even finally convinced the wife to have a look at M42. Cloudy now but clearing off again in an hour, may nip back out, too much on after this to go again very soon...

When I looked out of my bedroom window, having gone to bed, I could see Jupiter and a number of stars but a few hours later when I woke up there was nothing to be seen - solid cloud - so I don't know how long the clear spell lasted or indeed if it covered the whole sky.  This morning there's sunshine a hardly any clouds in sight.  A good frost as the pond is frozen over.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

I was up just before 6 to go to the loo, and there was a clear sky with lots of stars. This morning there's a good frost everywhere. Just going out to investigate that blasted Trius (Try us) camera.

the camera is now appearing to work, at least I've been able to see a believable image of distant trees, and the histo looks as I would expect. Only problem now is slight dew between the front elements of the triplet. I've taken the dew shield off and put the heating band directly on the lens cell, with the sun on it, but not directly into the lens.

Last night was a bit of a waste of time, but I got some data.  I thought that dithering every 5 frames would be a good idea to save time.  My images have got those 'walking noise' streaks, so just goes to show, there are no shortcuts.

That clear blue sky we had this morning is already gathering clouds ready for tonight!

Still blue skies here but be gone before dark :icon_sad:

Dave :icon_santa:

Ooo 19000 posts better not tell wife as she thinks I waste too much time in here 😂

Edited by Davey-T

Finally managed to clear the dew from inside my triplet apo, just before sitting down to lunch. Memo to self; Buy a TEC 140, no inner surfaces to dew up :grin: :eek:.

Lovely and clear here in our part of Sussex, but the relatives have only just left and clearing up done, so it's too late to start carrying everything outside and start setting up.

Note to self: must build even rudimentary, permanent observatory.

• Like 1

Imaging IC443 for the second time atm.

Previous session was december 2, managed 90 240sec subs, 30 per filter Ha, Oii and Sii that night.

So far i'm at 10 frames/filter right now, hope it stays clear a bit longer, but it's already better now than Clear Outside app suggests, so i won't be holding my breath.

Clear Skies !

0EDDACE0-0822-4361-AEA9-99D11B51B395.thumb.jpeg.1f143c2f7d8538501f144007b8f36a42.jpeg

Edited by Miguel1983
  • Like 3

We had a couple of hours of clear sky earlier so I had a little go at King20.  This is 18 mins (6,6,6).

Santa.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Had a lovely family Christmas Day today with lots of yummy food, drink and a vast array of presents. My big present from my wife was an Orion Monster Parallelogram Mount, so with it clear again tonight I couldn't resist giving it a spin with my cheap Revelation 15x70 binoculars......

image.thumb.jpeg.92f0ba7b7fa3fa643179d528b9b5de7b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2c69642c1f671ed208b0e0eccab7d717.jpegThe plan is to get some better possibly bigger binoculars for this mount in due course, but it was fun locating a few targets and then being able to view them without any arm or back strain and no shaking from them being hand held. I picked off M31, M45, the Hyades, M42, the M81/M82 pair, the Perseus double cluster and M36, M37 and some other cluster in Auriga. M42 was a fine sight and very enjoyable laying back in the sun lounger to enjoy the view. The Auriga clusters being high over head would have been very difficult in the binos without the parallelogram mount, so it's going to serve me well when I want to do some quick grab and go visual observing. Viewing conditions were not ideal as I was on the patio close to the house with light leaking through the lounge curtains, but even worse the area is flooded by the neighbours bright white and blue Christmas LED lights which currently adorn their house. Actually I don't mind the Christmas lights for a few weeks as they don't adversely impact my imaging and are a festive addition this time of year.

Let's hope the current clear skies are a sign of things to come over the coming winter months.

Cheers, Geof

• Like 4

Glad someone had clear sky tonight - thick cloud here.  And windy!!

Edited by Gina

still going here, there's some fog, but i'm close to zenith and it doesn't seem like its affecting my images a lot, we'll see in post....

Anyway, i'm just past 10 hours now on IC443, so i think i've got something to work with now 😃

• Like 2

Hmmmmmppppfffffttttt!!!  Love this year!!  NOT  Of course CO is often wrong both ways!!!  Anyway, I'm off to bed - goodnight all and good luck to anyone who actually has clear sky...

525636170_Screenshotfrom2019-12-2600-12-01.png.d6f3cd562702f35d5c274c64a50401c5.png

Almost embarrassed to post this but hey ho, managed 30 mins Ha, 10 mins Sii and 5 mins Oiii ... Through misty haze but always wanted to do this one ! Quick DSS and PS levels / curves

PSX_20191226_002657-01.jpeg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Gina said:

Still raining...

That's very polite, 🐍 ing down here...…………...……............……...again.

• Haha 1

After a false start, it has cleared.

Imaging is underway!

• Like 1

Good luck.

Been chucking down most of the day, and will be all night.

Fed up, going to bed!

I'm not too hopeful.  First sub has just arrived - and it looks good!

We'll see how long it lasts.

bogey.jpg

• Like 3