Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Raining now, but a few stars visible in the west. Was right not to open up.

And chucking it down now. Even more glad I didn't uncover anything.

DROKK!!! As Judge Dredd would say...

Just went out and the latest sub was pure white, enough fog to obscure all stars and the torch I was holding in my mouth revealed scotch mist - zillions of tiny floating particles!

Tripod ice coated, mirror looking awful! Have never had 130P-DS mist up ever before!

Well brought it all on, will have to check tomorrow, doubt any lasting harm.

Just had another look outside and there's still a fair amount of clear sky though with cloud to the west.  With rain in the next county I'm not sure it's worth bothering to open up and it's very cold too.

Stopped raining and a few stars visible, but still going to have an early night.

This is what I have to look forward to for tomorrow:

forecast.png.e496ae4847ef10a5b027cfeff9c53b63.png

James

Decided I'm not going out and getting chilled to the bone - PA can wait!  At the rate this weather is going I could well get my fully automatic micro rig done before the next clear night sky!!

Edited by Gina

It cleared at 8:30 and I was imaging just before 9.  I managed 33 mins of data before the cloud rolled back in.

Best night in ages!

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

Decided I'm not going out and getting chilled to the bone

The weather station says -2C here now, and still dropping :(

James

This is just plain miserable, I don't know when I'll get another imaging night, not this week for sure, and probably not the weekend. This afternoon it was not just cold but dank too, with all the wet stone of the patio and saturated garden.

There being little point in staying up I'll turn in. 'night all, see you in the morning.

Goodnight Dave - I won't be long either.

• Thanks 1

Nor me, I suspect.  The Moon is lighting up a fair bit of high-altitude haze that I hadn't seen earlier, so I think that's probably it for this evening.

James

It was 47F / 8.5C in balmy Denmark at bedtime last night at  23.30!
Half Moon up high in broken cloud at 05.30am and now 40F / 4.5C.
Clear in the East but fast moving strips of cloud coming from the west.
That means they are Broxit cast-offs and may be depleted of rain. 
Wettest year and autumn, on record, in Denmark. Decidedly soggy underfoot.
Mostly soggy overhead too. :rolleyes:

Surprisingly there's no fog here. Yet lol. It's actually quite bright with some blue sky but I know it won't last long, there's some strong winds forecast for later, together with rain.

Started bright here too but clouded over now.  No fog - good visibility.

Edited by Gina

The "weather" has arrived - heavy rain and strong wind though the wind has dropped a bit from the gale we had earlier.

7 hours ago, Gina said:

The "weather" has arrived - heavy rain and strong wind though the wind has dropped a bit from the gale we had earlier.

Oh no, not again Gina. I feel so bad saying this as technically it should be in the observing thread.

Just come back in from my first session without a full moon in two months! Conditions were actually rubbish with a tiny thin overcast amplifying distant light pollution. But after two months I feel like I hit the jackpot.

Didn’t bother with polar alignment. Didn’t bother with power, Didn’t bother with Goto. I got one hour... just cast around. First time out with my 150pds, M31 M32 M101 in the same ep for the first time. M42 three main stars in the trapezium and a fourth lesser magnitude.

Some open clusters to finish below Cassiopeia. According to the forecast that is it for me for 2019. I hope you get a clear night to see out this year. Merry Christmas and a happy new year Gina.

• Thanks 1

It's sooooo irritating when it's perfectly clear, until just before it gets dark, then the dreaded cloud rolls in. ☹️

I must have dreampt it - thought CO showed green for Tuesday evening!  Back to all red now!!!  And my bungalow roof is leaking.  NO!!!  I'm not going out to check the observatory!!  Gawd, I'm fed up with this weather!!  Been out this morning and nearly drowned!!  Observatory hasn't floated away yet.

• Sad 1

Chucking it down, can see rain bouncing off the car. No rain coming in yet. Went into Bridport, the Bride looked brown and turbulent, and there was a lot of standing water on the B3152.