Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I wonder the same!!  The few hours that were green tonight before moonrise are now red and showing red for fog too!!  I guess I get more pleasure designing (and making) astro kit.  As you might have seen, I'm currently playing with CAD for a DIY mount and dual widefield rig for second pier.  May never get built - I don't get any noticeable use from one mount let alone two.  Nice bit of fantasy though.  Makes a change from proper projects, ha ha...

• Like 1

Party at my house! :)

Yesterday morning a few clear hours were forecast for this evening.  By yesterday evening it was overcast for the entire night.  Now it is forecast to be clear from before sunset to 6am.

James

I was misquoted. :icon_scratch:

Edited by Rusted

54 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The green blocks I had for tonight have now turned orange, and I expect them to be red before dark. The rest of the week is pretty much all red with a couple of unusable orange blocks.

Why do I bother? :(

Cab you get really fruit in blocks these day? :icon_scratch:  What will they think of next?  :smile:

• Haha 1

The visibility here has now increased from about 10 yards to 50  yards!

• Like 1

No actual fog here, but it's horribly clammy and I can see shreds of low cloud on the hills.

• Like 1

The sun has come out now although there is still a high haze making for weak watery sunshime but at least it’s not raining. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby

The clouds have lifted and there's some blue sky showing, though we've had the odd shower. Still doubt if I'll be playing tonight though.

Been foggy all day here.  There were signs of the sun trying to break through this morning but it didn't happen.  Now the fog is even thicker with visibility down to a few yards!!  No imaging tonight!!

It's anyone's guess (including the forecasters', it seems) what the weather is going to be like here tonight.  A chap who woks with us and lives in Bude has even had snow this afternoon!  As I drove home from swimming with my daughter we were regularly dropping into foggy valleys and then coming out above it at the tops of the hills.

The temperature is indeed plummeting though.  We're not quite at freezing yet, but it's below 1C.

James

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The sky has cleared up nicely......however the temp is dropping like a rock. Below zero already. Brrrrrrr

It's OK here but with 5 minute lum subs on M3 I'm seeing a big pale arc, hopefully it will go away when the sky is properly dark 😞

Too much cloud for imaging, may do a bit of visual later if the gaps in the cloud allow it. I did have to rescue my RDF from where it had fallen out of the dovetail on the Megrez 90. It was soaked as I hadn't been out there for a couple of days due to the torrential rain and my back. I think it's still OK

I've just been over to lock up. The cloud is solid.

Promise of sunny periods tomorrow if you can believe them.

So looked at CO at 6pm. Green till 10pm. Go outside, verify sky looks nice and dark, can see twinkly stars.

Set up mount, usual 30 minutes to get everything up, try and see if I can see any subs on my laptop from the Heart nebula, nothing.

Look up and I can't see any stars at all, a huge cloud of fog has shrouded everything like a some fog dome over the entire sky!

Going to tear everything down now.

Name me a more frustrating hobby than Deep Sky Astrophotography.

I'll wait.

But I guess that's part of the fun!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Was clear half an hour ago. Now can barely see the house a across the street. 🙁

Oh dear! Still OK here...

Losing the will to live the Astro life. Complete cloud cover again after weeks of rain and storms. October 9th, last clear night. Forecast, rubbish to continue...

Looked back in diary to 2018! Feb 10th, a bit of Andromeda and family. Then some Lunar observations.

April 10th, missed two nights unexpected viewing.

June 20th clear night and continued for a while. So this could continue for another two months!!!

Future move to the desert on the cards. Did I pick a great time to start gazing? Like a lot of things in life I see a downward curv.

Planets rubbish, meteor showers in conjunction with full moons. Comets, 12 mag or more. The only time the clouds clear is for a full moon. Plus everyone is on strike except me!

9 hours ago, Gina said:

I wonder the same!!  The few hours that were green tonight before moonrise are now red and showing red for fog too!!  I guess I get more pleasure designing (and making) astro kit.  As you might have seen, I'm currently playing with CAD for a DIY mount and dual widefield rig for second pier.  May never get built - I don't get any noticeable use from one mount let alone two.  Nice bit of fantasy though.  Makes a change from proper projects, ha ha...

Hey Gina, after my rant I really feel for you. You have so much invested in your set up and seem to be getting the same infuriating weather as me. If only we could just get a decent week. A small window, a crack in the weather., how much more positive we could all be. 
M

• Thanks 1

Patches of quite clear sky, but too much cloud, plus CO is saying 67% chance of rain, and Ventusky is showing a big lump of rain coming this way. going to give my back a rest.

• Like 1

Just looked outside.  The fog has gone but half the sky is cloudy - the other half seems clear.  I'll check again later.  Very cold out!!  Need to let my meal settle before going out anyway.

Got very upset about those circular reflections, then had a hunch... was it because I was using a cheap moon & skyglow filter (I have a similar 2" one that's never cause an issue) so swapped to the Baader IR/UV cut and bingo - no reflections. Going to get 2 hours of lum on NGC1333 and if conditions allow I'll try 30 minutes each on RGB (as it's mostlly dust and reflection nebula rather than narrowband).

Exciting stuff!