Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

At least it was dry while the carpenter was working on the new doors for the garage. Don't think he's very good at it. I think he won't get any more work from me.

• Sad 2

The sunshine was nice while it lasted but spitting with rain again. 😢

Update

After the showers the sun has returned. For a little while at least. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Sad 1

I've taken the plunge and cleaned the lenses on my ED80 and FSQ106.  This is a job that I have been very nervous about doing.  Today, I had a practice on the ED80, and was surprised at how easy it was.  So' I've done the FSQ as well.

I'm left feeling that I should have done this years ago.

.... of course this might not make any difference at all, but the lenses were absolutely filthy.

It's clear here at the moment and the telescope is outside - cooling down.

The bright blue sky I had around midday has long gone. CO is suggesting some green on Tue, but with our changeable weather w could have thunderstorms by then.

• Like 1

And rain forecast for this evening.  Now there's a surprise!!!

Sod it!  I'm setting up.   I might, or might not get anything done.

Clear as a bell here, but too windy for Telescope.

I might go out with Bino's later.

Well... I got two 5m subs befoe the guide star started to fade rapidly.  I went back to the "random" spot that I tried two nights ago to compare the full moon against no moon.  The little faint galaxies are better, and the background seem much darker, but I am surprised at how well it did under the full moon.

Ventusky suggests that it might clear up in an hour, so I will leave things set up.

Hey, ho the wind and the rain

For the rain it raineth every day!

At least I managed to swap filters in the wheel yesterday while it was fine, replacing the [NII} with [SII]. Now will try for some [SII] in Melotte 15. I know there's signal there as I captured some earlier, but my alignment was so far out between filters, and within filters that I binned the lot as not being worth the effort. At least I know there won't be confusion with HII.

Went out in all that wind and heavy rain down to the village for out local social club Christmas bash - just got back.  Great evening! 

It's stopped raining but still lots of cloud about so no imaging tonight.

Seems I was lucky when I came home.  Lashing down again with heavy horizontal rain!!

Given the lack of opportunity for imaging, I have been working on my processing:

James

• Like 1

Just let the wolf out for his morning "constitutional" and there is quite a good view of Mars between layers of scud. Way too windy for the 5" frac though, plus by the time I got set up it would be daylight and/or raining. Coffee pot on and toast in.

We are facing 24m/s or 55mph wind gusts this afternoon for several hours!
I'd better lash everything down and face the shutters into the wind.

We had an amazing "light show" last night during a clearing in the clouds.
The bright, 3/4 moon was being reflected by the flapping, rubber skirt on the dome.
Producing constantly moving lines and glowing blobs. It was quite unreal!
We thought the dome was on fire at first and I was sent out to check.

• Haha 1

Looking at CO there seems nothing doing for a couple of nights but there's green Tuesday night before the moon rises.

I don't think any of the data I have for this year is worth processing - I still have improvements to make to the kit.  Mainly PA.

The rain has returned!!  Managed a bit of work on my observatory earlier but knew the rain was coming so limited.

Absolutely torrential rain!!!  You'd think all there was had already fallen but seems there's a never-ending supply!!

Edited by Gina
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gina said:

Absolutely torrential rain!!!  You'd think all there was had already fallen but seems there's a never-ending supply!!

Now I know who to blame for ours! Now stop it! Or I'm telling Sir!  :wink2:

• Haha 1